Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jalapeño Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jalapeño Salt

Think I'm going to do this.

3 lbs fresh jalapeños
    1 cup coarse salt like Kosher Salt
    ​​​​

Using gloves, quarter 3 lbs fresh jalapeños and remove stems.

In a dehydrator, dehydrate the jalapeños according to your directions. I dehydrated the peppers at 145 for 15 hours. I recommend doing this outdoors because of the strong fumes.

Check on jalapeños. They should be brittle and easy to break. Discard any fleshy soft peppers or dehydrate them until fully brittle.

In a blender, grind peppers and 1 cup of coarse salt until the peppers are broken down.

Store in an air tight container.

For hotter salt keep seeds. Take out for milder.

Jalapeño Salt is incredible on everything from salads, vegetables, baked potatoes, meat, pasta, and popcorn!! This Homemade Jalapeño Salt Recipe is easy to make. If you love jalapeño, you will LOVE this jalapeño salt!

Go for it, sounds like a little work, but maybe worth the effort. Of course, you will fill us in when complete.

Comment

I have done a variation of this... 100% smoked (ok 99%)

Smoke whatever peppers @ sub 200 for 6+ hours, I usually do over night.

Peppers that don't snap with minimal effort go in the oven with the door cracked

Dried peppers go in coffee grinder, then mix with salt.
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; September 16, 2021, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        As I read the OP, I was wondering if this could be done on a smoker instead of a dehydrator. Thanks for anticipating my question and answering it before I even asked.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. Have an ol skool Ronco dehydrator (thanks, Ma!)...

But, I always use me smoker fer th win!

Nice! I just did something similar when leftover mash from hot sauce.

Comment

This looks pretty cool! Excited to see how it turns out for you.

I have found a rub by Heath Riles that is wonderful on so many things. It is his Garlic Jalapeno rub, very good. But if you can get this I may have to give this a try.

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope to get peppers tomorrow. Planning a bake tomorrow and something on the Kettle. I'll do this over for weekend. My 1st thought on eggs for brunch. I'll wing up some concoction. Will report in.

Bolner’s Fiesta Brand sells a Jalapeño Salt, a Jalapeño Rub, and a Jalapeño Pepper Powder. Each for about 4 bucks.

Comment

Sounds cool, let us know how it turns out. Will be interested to know if it’s just ‘hot salt,’ or if it has more of the grassy, jalapeño flavor.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            it most definitely has the pepper flavor

Nice, I have some habanero salt. It's... spicy.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            >>flabbergasted<<

Spicy???

Hmmm...

This is also gonna make a mean salted rim for a margarita in the evenings!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Now, we're talkin...

I was in a store near Niagara Falls when I saw this and bought some, it is good, this will last me a long time. I like the idea of making my own as well. This is a blend of sea salt, cayenne pepper, chipotle pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6EB1ECC8-0BED-48D5-9CF6-871F48401B5C.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	1096176

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            looks like some paprika, as well...

Hi all, here's a quick update. Dyhdrated yesterday. About 8 hours. Scaled-down to 1# pepper and 1/3 cup of salt. No final product pictures just the dehydrated peppers and salt. I took the seed out to reduce heat. One thing, recipe called for using a blender. It didn't grind. Used coffee grinder I use for everything but coffee. Applied tonight on a grilled baked potato. Was conservative on applying. Certainly taste the pepper but subtle. Also used smoked paprika. Will add a bit more next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210919_114410.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1097164

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Still here, watchin th fun...

Keep us up to speed, eh, Amigo???

pls???

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here