Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrister DEW's All Purpose Marinade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrister DEW's All Purpose Marinade

This is a marinade/brine that I have been using for at least 30 years and I finally got around to figuring out and writing down some useful quantities.

While it is obviously "Asian-inspired" based on the ingredients, it really is, as the title states, an "all propose" marinade. It is particularly good with skinless, boneless chicken (even white meat!), but will definitely work with beef (London broil, skirt steak, flank steak), pork tenderloin, shrimp or grilled veggies (brush some on while grilling.) Works well as a fajita marinade, too.

The recipe makes a decent amount. I currently have a large family pack of chicken tenders from Aldi's marinating in 1 recipe's worth. You could easily scale it up or down based on your needs.

Of course all of the amounts can be adjusted based on taste, although I would suggest keeping the basic proportions of soy sauce to rice vinegar relatively stable as the salt and acidity of the two balance each other out nicely.

I really like the flavor hit the cognac/brandy gives it, but you could easily leave it out and it will still taste good.

Time: 10 minutes
    Ingredients:
    • ½ cup soy sauce (any type will work)
    • ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
    • 5 teaspoons sugar
    • 2 large cloves garlic grated or pressed
    • ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
    • ¼ cup cognac or brandy (optional, but strongly recommended)
    • 2 teaspoons sambal olek (can substitute hot sauce of your choice)
    • 1 tablespoon Asian-style Sesame oil
    Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine and dissolve the sugar.

Pour into a large zipper bag, reserving a small portion to brush on during cooking, if desired. Add protein or veggies to the bag and squish it around to thoroughly cover all in the marinade. Remove the air from the bag and seal. Refrigerate and marinate for at least an hour, up to overnight. Remove the food and discard the marinade. Cook by your desired method. Grilling is great with this, but other methods will work fine. I am planning to sous vide the chicken tenderloins mentioned above for Barbara to take for lunches at work.

Very interesting ingredients. It was looking like my teriyaki sauce recipe until I got down to the cognac & liquid smoke. I'd like to give it a try. What do you use this marinade primarily on?

Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      TripleB - Yeah, it's not a teriyaki flavor profile, at least to me. It is mostly savory with barely a hint of sweetness. I mostly use it with skinless, boneless chicken breast, which I hardly ever eat any more. But I will definitely use it on skirt steak or pork tenderloin.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 Pork tenderloin we have not had in awhile. I'll try the marinade with that. Thanks.

That sounds really good. I’ve actually been wanting to try a new marinade. I’ve been using my old stand by, Good Seasons Italian Dressing, way too much. I’m gonna spatchcock and hang a chicken on my Bronco this weekend. Think I’m gonna try that.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John - I would SOOOO do that but Barbara really dislikes balsamic vinegar.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 You’re fixing to find out why I’m not married…..I’d slip it in there unannounced and see what she says. 😂

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Wife ate squirrel dumplings 2x before I let it slip due to too much whisky. Panhead John

Thanks for this. Saved to Paprika.

Comment

I did the same, saved to Paprika. It's close to the top of my "Try This" list. Thanks, Dewesq55 .

Kathryn

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        My pleasure, Kathryn. Please let me know what you think. The sous vide tenders I made this week came out really good.

This sounds good @Dewesq55, I'm going to give it a try. After I make a batch, I think I'll split it in half and add 1 tsp of ground ginger to one half and see what that does to the taste.
      Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ginger sounds good. I never thought of it.

Thank you. Sounds good.

Comment

I would substitute cream sherry for brandy/cognac, but then I use cream sherry in a lot of things I cook, but especially Asian food.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to use dry sherry (not cream) for Asian cooking, but have switched to shaoxing wine.

I liked what I read so I made batch today, but I did not have any liquid smoke. I marinaded some chicken thighs for a couple of hours and cooked them indirect on the gas grill, they turned out good we will try this again.
        thank you for sharing.

Comment

I'm going to try this too, I'll use smoke powder. Can you also replace the cognac for Jack Daniels honey whiskey?

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure you could. And I'll bet it'd be terrific!

Man, I'm thinking sub bourbon for the cognac and the do strips of chicken thighs on skewers with the white parts of green onions. Thicken the marinade with some arrowroot or corn starch as a dipping sauce and serve over rice! Good looking recipe!

Comment

I did this last week on skewers of boneless skinless chicken thighs with mushrooms, onions and baby tomatoes. It was really good! I'm going to try this on cubed pork chops with mushrooms and baby tomatoes today.

Comment

Great recipe David. It has become our standard marinade here for many things.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here