Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jim's Chicken Shawarma and Kabob Marinade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I moved the meat to the lower rack to get a little more charbefore adding the veggie kabobs - but it was up there on the top rack most of the time. It takes that thick stack of chicken thigh meat about 1 hour to reach 165 in the center, and you don't want it to get too burned. The veggies only take about 15 minutes, so I added them about 45 minutes into the cook.

• Donw
    replied
    Thank you. Just added it to Paprika to give it a try next week.

Leave a comment:

• Whiskeyman53
    replied
    Excellent post, very informative with great pictures. With the amount of meat and vegetables on the grill and seeing the end pictures, it shows you have a handle on grill management.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Same

• ScottyC13
    replied
    jfmorris Looks delicious. Is that how you grill everything, meat on upper rack and veggies low? All over direct heat?

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Serendipity strikes (something that happens all too infrequently in my life)! Right after making my above post, I went to a site (woksoflife) that I check often and, lo and behold, they featured a segment on how to debone a chicken thigh:

Learn how to debone chicken thighs with our step-by-step instructions (with photos) and a video. Deboning the chicken yourself can save $!

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on chicken thighs over breasts! Been doing 'em for years now. I usually buy bone-in and, if necessary, debone (very poorly--I ain't a good butcher) myself if a whole thigh isn't appropriate. Save the (in my case "too meaty"--LOL) bone and skin for stock. Win-win as the bone-in are typically cheaper.
    Last edited by Willy; April 16, 2021, 07:12 AM.

• Skip
    commented on 's reply
    I agree on the Garlic and Ginger jfmorris . Works much better when cooking for two like I do most of the time. Thanks for the marinade recipe.

• Starsky
    replied
    This looks fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• willxfmr
    replied
    Thanks for the write-up! I'm always looking for something new to do with yardbird

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    I’m with ya Jim. Garlic in the jar for me too. I hate peeling and cutting fresh garlic.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Don't know if but matters flavor wise, but I just made a note in the recipe, as I have been using olive oil. We resurrected this 20 year old marinade a week or two ago, and had nothing but olive and avocado oil in the house. Don't skip the toasted sesame oil if you have it - its got a nutty flavor that is the bomb, and works well with the minced ginger.

I will also admit something. I am a cheater. Yes, indeed. I never mince my garlic OR ginger. I keep a quart jar of minced garlic in the fridge, and have recently been buying these squeeze tubes of minced ginger as well. It's a cheat, but is much faster than trying to mince or grate that fibrous ginger root, and then end up with a chunk of ginger root in a zip lock bag in the fridge until you forget about it and it goes bad.
    Last edited by jfmorris; April 15, 2021, 03:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Thanks guys. I hope someone else finds it useful and likes it. If you add something (I am thinking minced garlic would be good), let me know if it improves things. A tablespoon of gochujang would be a good addition if you want to add some kick.

I kept enough to use as a dipping sauce. To be honest, it is hard to get veggies to take a marinade - the mushrooms are the only thing that will absorb it, so we brushed it on as we were building the skewers, and what was in the bottom of the pan I used went back into a bowl to brush on each time I turned them during the cook. I brushed some on the chicken as well, but considering it marinated for about 36 hours, it had plenty of flavor.

I am mostly glad that I discovered boneless skinless chicken thighs last year, as they are so much better than dried out oversized boneless skinless breasts, and I've even got SWMBO preferring thigh meat to breast meat now. I'm cooking until the thermapen gives me a reading of 165F in the center of the fake shawarma stack of chicken meat on the double skewers.

Leave a comment:

• Texas Larry
    replied
    Thanks for sharing this. Looks great! Added to Paprika.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    That looks like the bomb, Jim. Adding it to the list. I haven't done kabobs in years.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here