Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pan-frying a whole chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pan-frying a whole chicken

I've been playing around with a recipe/technique for pan-frying a whole chicken. I've tried a couple of different flavor profiles so this is just an example. This produces a crispy skin and satisfying crunch without deep-frying.

First, I deboned the chicken as Pepin shows in this video: https://jp.foundation/video/deboning...-for-galantine

I reserved the bones for stock.

I flavored the chicken: in the photo below, I used a mixture of gojuchang, hoisin, garlic, pepper flakes, and green onions. I closed the body and dredged the outside of the chicken with a coating of flour, smoked paprika, and a little cornstarch. On occasion I've stitched the body closed with a little bit of twine but if I do the deboning neatly I don't need to.

I shallow-fried with just a couple of tablespoons of oil in an oven-safe pan for maybe 8 minutes per side. Then I stuck in a probe from my thermometer, put chicken and pan into a preheated 375F oven and waited until the thermometer read 165F.

Unfortunately, I don't have a finishing photo, but you get the idea.

The chicken cooled for about 20 minutes while I finished other things, then I cut it into boneless serving size pieces. The skin was crispy, the meat was moist, the flavor profile wasn't bad.

Attached Files

Nice job on the de-boning. Very impressive. I only go as far as the breast. Did you dry brine before applying the pepper sauce, etc.? What would you change on your flavor profile?

Comment

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't dry brine -- there was about 45 minutes between the time when I deboned it and started cooking, so it sat in the fridge uncovered but with the marinade. I think the smoked paprika didn't add anything and next time might use unsmoked but slightly hotter paprika. I think the hoisin was a little sweet and I'd cut that out or perhaps cut it back. I thinking it could have used a little acidic touch, so perhaps a little lime juice, but I'm still thinking about it.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      RobertC - The pepper sauce added some acidity, but I don't know how much. I liked your flavor profile. Maybe substituting soy sauce and oyster sauce for the Hoisin. This week I'm going to do chicken skewers marinated in a Harissa/onion puree. AR has converted me to dry brining. Really helps.

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      Confit d'oignon and harissa can be a good combo. Let us know how it turns out.

Wow! More power to you on going to the effort to debone a whole chicken like that! I imagine pre-frying would indeed give crispier skin versus baking alone.

I think I will be cooking INSIDE for the next few days, so posts like this are good to inspire me on the possibilities.

Comment

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      If you pay attention to *exactly* how Pepin does it (and that's pretty good advice for essentially everything in the kitchen) it goes pretty fast. When he says, "put your hand HERE" do it. Almost every other way to hold your hand takes longer or more effort. He really is an amazing teacher.

Another approach to crispy skin is to add some baking powder to the salt and pepper you apply to the skin, then let it sit, uncovered, in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Roast at fairly high temps (I did 425, would go 450 next time).

This isn't new to me. I got it from Serious Eats https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/...d-chicken.html - though I don't roast at 500F as Kenji does.

Comment

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'll try that.

Looks & sounds interesting. Would you do it again?

Comment

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. I'm still working on the technique but I've done something like this perhaps once a month since the fall. Tinkering with flavor profile and how to get crispy skin. My deboning chops are getting better, too.

Look interesting and more uniform in thickness. Cooks evenly my guess.
    BTW PBR and fried chicken go well together.
    Happy grilling/frying to you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here