Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex chicken thighs with a custom rub and Asian glaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex chicken thighs with a custom rub and Asian glaze

Hey folks,

Decided to use my Vortex (or Poor-tex, as I cut off the bottom of a stainless steel bowl for 2 bucks). I placed it in the Big Green Egg, and filled it with briquettes (!). Well, I ran out of charcoal, and what's a poor pit master to do? Besides, I knew it was gonna be a hot n fast cook.

Flavor wise I wanted to try something new, so I concocted a 'new' rub on the fly that turned out real good. Here are the ingredients.

Chicken
    700 grams deboned chicken thighs

Rub
    2 tsp lemon pepper
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp cumin
    0.5 tsp salt

Glaze
    2 tbsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp Tiger sauce

I applied the rub a couple of hours ahead. Then fired up the briquettes. Basically lit them with a few fire starter matches, then walked away, with grill fully open. 20 minutes later I had a jet engine with hot air

Anywho, drop the chickenses in, place them in a circle outside the Vortex opening. Close the lid and let them sweat.
    After 15 minutes, open the lid, flip 'em, and let them go another 15. Check for doneness with a Thermapen. You want them to hit 70° C / 158° C.

Mix the glaze in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken thighs. Drop them in right away and toss them to give them a good coating. Now serve them steaming hot. I sprinkled some sesame seeds and parsley on to make for a nice presentation.

Flavor wise this was a big hit. The rub was nice, and the glaze added a nice Asian touch. Highly recommended!

Alright, pics or it didn't happen, right? Here goes:

Chicken thighs with custom rub applied

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vortex Chicken Thighs with rub.jpg Views:	0 Size:	261.3 KB ID:	985113

Chicken on the grill. Hot hot hot!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vortex Chicken Thighs on the grill.jpg Views:	0 Size:	338.7 KB ID:	985112

And the serving platter. Dig in!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vortex Chicken Thighs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	985114

Alright, that's it from me, and since we have this Covid situation I guess the phrase "Hank is out" is no longer appropriate, so I'll just wish y'all an awesome weekend with "Hank stays in"

Which size Egg and Vortex?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Medium egg. Don’t know the size of the Vortex, guessing 12” dia.

Wow. Simple and delicious. I copied this to the Paprika app, along with photos.

Good call to use the Egg instead of a kettle, what with the snow/cold temps. Even though the Egg must take a while to heat through. At least it holds the heat. I'm going to try it on my WSCGC.

Thanks, Henrik . Stay safe out there.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; February 5, 2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool! Yes, the egg sure helped, it was cold!!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Man my Paprika locked up on me with a download of a recipe. I was freaking out until it let me upload all my recipes into the Cloud, all 408 of them. I had to reload the app and download the files, which worked like a champ. Didn't mean to hijack this, just the word Paprika gave me pause.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, Troutman . I'll check out that option.

So far I either cut/paste my recipes directly into Paprika or load them onto a cooking 'blog I have and download them from there into Paprika. Pretty cumbersome.

K.
      Last edited by fzxdoc; February 5, 2021, 11:26 AM.

Nothing better than Hanging with Hank! socially distanced that is...

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      😄👍

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Hangin' With Hanks !!! You may want to consider that as the title for your YouTube channel

Thanks for the recipie Brother!
    Stay safe

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      You too!

I haven't done vortex anything is so long, used to be every other week. Thanks for the inspiration. I also almost forgot about Tiger sauce, used to love that stuff as well. Good post, thanks !!

Comment

Looking good,
      Happy grilling to you, and PBR too.

Comment

The chickenses? 😂 Great post and it looks tasty!

Last edited by Panhead John; February 5, 2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, got a little LOTR feeling there :-)

Great minds - or at least mind (yours). I am planning on breaking out the vortex Sunday for the traditional game day wings.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          The Vortex is gonna be purrfect for those wings!

Hangin "in" with Hank! Yup, as soon as this zero stuff quits in about a week I have to give this a try. Like the chickenses touch. Yer catchin on ya are, yessir.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Jus tryin to blend in is all :-)

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the funny Hank!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here