Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Breast Recipies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Breast Recipies

Due to a fire last weekend at the company where we usually get the Turkey for Thanksgiving Ive decided to smoke a turkey breast instead. There are usually lots of leftovers that my wife uses for the next week, I will take care of that by smoking a tester this weekend. So hopefully everything will get eaten on Thanksgiving and there won’t be a lot if carving and other work going on.

ive seen Meatheads recipie and figure that’s a good start unless someone has another idea.

Meatheads is my go to, but I have done other things too, like slather one with a compound butter containing garlic and herbs, butter and honey and black pepper and BBQ sauce. When I use butter I go low and slow and give up the crispy skin for bite through. If you have a sous vide, using Kenji's with short time on the smoker before is a good one too. I have not done the crispy skin part of the recipe.

Comment

I’m not doing a whole turkey this year as it will
      be four of us but I’d like to still do a turkey breast. Meathead calls for 325 on the indirect side. I heard Dave Chang mention that he smoked a turkey at 205. Obviously lower heat takes longer but what would be the benefits of smoking/cooking at a lower temp?

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Lower temp is more smoke in my pellet grill, so it follows the higher temps the less smoke.
        Just my thoughts.

Welcome to The Pit. Most here cook turkey hot so that the skin will crisp up. I've never cooked one at that low of a temp, so I don't know how the skin turns out.

Comment

Meatheads turkey is great but check out Malcom Reed's smoked turkey recipes on Youtube.
        My recipe is a M n MR hybrid taking the best of both recipes.

Comment

Here is one I have used with gravy. I cooked it low so I forfeited the skin which is not a big deal to me.
          I did this on my Yoder using pecan/cherry pellet mix a few times. This year I'm doing both a breast and whole bird in my LSG cabinet with charcoal and cherry chunks.

Smoked Turkey Breast

Yields: 1-3 to 5 lb turkey breast

Ingredients:
          • 1-3 to 5 lb bone in turkey breast, skin removed
          • 1 cup coarse salt
          • 8 peppercorns
          • 1 cup sugar
          or
          • brine mix of choice
          • Duct fat, optional
          • 3 to 5 teaspoon (1 tsp. per pound meat) Rub (I used Cattleman’s Grill Ranchero rub)
          • 3 onions, chopped
          • 3 celery ribs, chopped
          • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
          • 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
          • 2 bay leaves
          • 6 sprigs fresh thyme
          • 6 sprigs fresh parsley
          • ½ ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed
          • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
          • 8 tablespoons flour
          • Chicken broth to make 3 cups
          • 1 cup dry white wine
          • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preparation:

1.Use brine mix as directed or dissolve salt, pepper, and sugar in 2 gallons of cold water in a large container. Submerge turkey pieces in brine, cover and refrigerate for 3 to 6 hours.
          2. Pat turkey breast dry and coat with Duck fat or ‘Cue Glue if using. Sprinkle all sides with choice of seasoning.
          3.Prepare smoker with wood of choice and preheat to a temperature of 225°F. Optionally add smoker tube for additional smoke in a pellet cooker.
          4.Toss onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, parsley, porcini and 4 tbsp butter in large roasting pan; arrange in even layer. Place turkey skin side up, over vegetables.
          5. Place turkey breast in the smoker and smoke for 2 hours at 225°F. Raise temp to 275°F until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the breast reaches 165°F; about 3 to 4 hours total depending on the size of the breast. Flip breast if browning to fast. Remove breast from smoker and let rest for 30 min.
          6.Strain vegetables and liquid from roasting pan through fine-mesh strainer set in large bowl. Press solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard vegetables. Transfer liquid to fat separator; allow to settle, 5 minutes. Reserve 8 tbsp fat (top) and measure out 3 cups braising liquid. (reserve any remaining broth for another use or add chicken broth to make 3 cups)(use duct fat if needed)
          7.Heat reserved fat in medium saucepan over med-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is dark golden brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Whisk in 3 cups braising liquid and bring to boil. Reduce heat to med-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until gravy is thick and reduced to about 2 cups, 15 to 20 minutes. Add 2 tbsp butter for richer gray stir to blend. Remove gravy from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
          8.Carve turkey and serve, passing gravy separately.

Comment

I'm keeping it simple this year, since I'm solo.

I grabbed a part of a turkey breast, about 2.5 lbs. It didn't have full skin coverage, so I carefully peeled what skin it had (about 50% coverage) and then sprinkled on salt and pepper. After that I slathered in a compound butter made from regular unsalted butter and dried Italian seasoning and covered it with the skin.

Then, because I didn't have full coverage of the skin, I wrapped it in thin cut bacon and tied it all up with twine. Popped it in the freezer (this was all yesterday) and will pull it out Tuesday to smoke on the Weber kettle. I actually think I'll do this in the Smokey Joe since it's small and I want the bacon to crisp. I could do it in the 22" but would be a lot more coals to get it to 325.

No rub? Nope. I wanted a close to traditional turkey flavor, but with some smoke.
            Last edited by rickgregory; November 21, 2020, 02:11 PM.

Comment

After looking through all the suggestions I decided to give a test cook to Malcom Reed’s bacon wrapped turkey breast. Turned out wonderful even though I cooked it cooler than recommended. Then plan was to do that and a simple one for anyone who who wanted a healthier choice. Unfortunately things got called off because of too many cancellations due to the nonsense virus. So I’m going to cook another one just for the family and send pics to everyone who canceled.

Comment

I'm going with a single breast for the 2 of us, and will probably go with Malcom Reed's Honey-something recipe. My question is whether to do it on my Weber w/SnS, or on the PBC. If I do it on the PBC, I don't think it will hang. I haven't seen any threads about doing it in the PBC (with approximate times) though. I'd appreciate your thoughts (and suggestions). Thanks.

Comment

I too am going with a turkey breast this year. I plan on trying Samin Nosrat’s ("Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat") recipe for buttermilk brined turkey. The recipe calls for the oven, so I might split the breast and do half in the oven and half on the PK360. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/d...in-nosrat.html

Comment

I am doing only turkey breast this year. You can go the the bottom of this thread for my post and recipe. Note, I am obviously skipping the turkey cavity part. HA.

Comment

I followed Franklin’s recipe today, but I think I should have pulled it at 155 and let it rise to 160. The internal temp got away from me and I pulled it at 164 and it rose to over 170.

Comment

• mmmllrrr
                        mmmllrrr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Is it the recipe that smokes at 250 and finishes with 2 sticks of butter for an hour? How did it turn out?

• LA Pork Butt
                        LA Pork Butt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        @mmmllrr that’s the one. I did it at 250, but he called for 265. I am not a Turkey fan, so my wife was pleased that I will do it again. I liked it, but as I mentioned above I would pull the next one at 155 and let the carry over take it to 160.

• mmmllrrr
                        mmmllrrr commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I will give it a shot. Looks great. Did you dry brine the breast or just s + p it before putting it on the smoker?

mmmllrrr I put my Brisket rub on just before I put it on the cooker.

Comment

mmmllrrr , I smoked a couple of turkey breasts using Franklin's recipe and they turned out amazing. Here's the post I wrote about the cook. I was inspired to use this recipe by another member, Steve R. , whom I mention in that post. (I also used his photos in that post, since I quoted his previous post.) Read the next post in that topic as well for more details.

What are the best things to make on short smokes? I can barely get out there to use my WSM. Any tips on things that work well on 5 hours or less smokes?

That Franklin recipe makes a fantastic turkey breast.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Green Caribou , I do turkey breasts all the time on the PBC, never wrapping. They smoke to 160° (carryover heat takes them to 165°) in about 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on thickness, if you keep the PBC temp up around 350° or so. Since you'll also have ribs on board, you'll probably run the PBC closer to 250-280°, so the breast might take a little longer. They always turn out nice and juicy. Inject with warm butter. Dry brine with AP rub.

I only wrap for Aaron Franklin's yummy recipe.

Kathryn
                          Last edited by fzxdoc; December 4, 2020, 02:19 PM.

• Green Caribou
                          Green Caribou commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks. I was thinking I wouldn't dry brine it since it was already wet brined and I don't want it to be too salty. Are you saying i should dry brine it anyway?

Since I'm pretty new to the game I don't have any injection tools.

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No, if it's already wet brined, Green Caribou , you're all set.

Kathryn

mmmllrrr , 4.5 lb for two breasts is pretty small. Usually I look for 3-4 lb per split breast. It may do fine spatchcocked. Never done it that way, so can't offer experienced advice.

FWIW, the smallish split breasts I used for the Franklin recipe turned out wonderful. I think the wrapping and braise steps kept them from drying out.

Today I'll be smoking an 8 lb turkey breast spatchcocked. Not using the Franklin recipe though. Hooking and hanging it in the PBC.

Not a fan of S&G rub, although many here are. Too herby for my family, they say. But if you like it, it should work fine--either that or your favorite non-salty rub if you've already dry-brined.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will turn out great. Enjoy your turkey cook!

Kathryn

Comment

• mmmllrrr
                          mmmllrrr commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I decided to try it spatchcocked because that’s about the extent of my butchering skills and you are right, they are pretty small. Not that different than a chicken to be honest. I like your idea of finishing in the oven instead of the smoker.

As far as timing, is this something that should finish and then be served almost immediately? I don’t think I’ll have that ability today. Bad idea to smoke it to to 140 and let it sit (at room temp? In the fridge?) and do the butter part to 160?

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Today, 11:14 PM
                          mmmllrrr , you're correct. Not a good idea to smoke to 140° and let sit at room temp. From a food safety perspective, the danger zone is 40 to 140°.

Better to do on a day when you can take the turkey breast to 160ish and serve immediately.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here