Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stubborn Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stubborn Cook

Trying Hey Grill Hey recipe for smoked chicken breast. Using Weber 26” kettle with SnS and KBB. Took almost 45 mins to get to 225 degrees. Two
    boneless skinless breasts. Have been in cooler for almost an hour and twenty mins and are only at 150 IT. Cooker running about 235 average.

Everything about this cook seems to be taking forever. Not ideal with a hungry family
    on a weeknight.

Yep know the feeling, "I feel Your Pain"

Comment

After 1:25 they were at 152 IT. I lost patience and finished them over the flame. That made them a hair over smoked in spots but fine. The good news is they were worth the wait. Moist, great flavor, huge hit with the wife and teenager.

Put a pot of Bush’s baked beans mixed with mustard, rub, and some bbq sauce. Let it ride the entire cook. They were good, too.

Comment

It doesn't have to take that long. You can cook the BS chicken breasts at higher temps and still have juicy pieces at the end.

When I do boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 11 oz or so per breast) with the SnS in my WSCGC (24 inch grate), I pour 3/4 chimney of lit coals into the SnS and cook the bird pieces at 300°-350°. Takes about 10 min for the temp to stabilize, then the BS breasts cook for 50-60 min to 160° internal.

A few hours before the cook, I rub the chicken breasts with PBC's All Purpose rub and sprinkle on some smoked paprika and rub it in as well. Let sit covered in fridge until cook time. Then on to the WSCGC in kettle mode for about an hour. When done, they have such a beautiful color that I often don't sear them off. Instead, I spray them with duck fat spray near the end of the cook, about 10 minutes before taking off the grill. Serve with Meathead's recipe for white BBQ sauce. Delicious.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; August 18, 2022, 12:13 AM.

Comment

fzxdoc, I usually cook them at a higher temp. I was trying a new recipe. I’ll go back to the higher temps. The end result was good but too long for chicken breasts on a weeknight.

Duck fat spray? I’m listening…

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            I always order from the website, getting 3 cans or so to make it worth the $hipping expense, Murdy . My daughters like to grab a can whenever they visit. They use it like Pam when cooking eggs, etc. For small businesses, I try to give them a hand instead of Amazon if I can.

Kathryn

• Dadof3Illinois
            Dadof3Illinois commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought my last twin pack of the duck fat spray at our local Costco. Not sure how much it was but who cares.....it's duck fat!!!

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll have to watch at Costco. I was in my local Ace Hardware today, and they had, same brand, $10.98 a piece. Costco and Ace, seems like maybe the secrets out.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here