Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian Classics – The Series – Chicken Scarpariello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Classics – The Series – Chicken Scarpariello

Legend has it that this dish originated in Neapolitan Sicily and the Calabria region but was more of a quick pasta like dish utilizing a variety of what was on hand in some sort of tomato sauce. Others say it involved browning and braising chicken with the addition of a variety of ingredients like garlic, peppers, onions etc.

Regardless of its Italian origins, its Italian-American roots seem to all point to that famous Manhattan eatery known as Rao’s Restaurant where it was made famous. Apparently still one of the hardest places to get into in New York City, it’s been frequented by such characters as John Gotti, Anthony Scaramucci, Rudy Giuliani, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and a host of infamous, rather questionable others.

As to the dish itself, Chicken Scarp translates as "shoemaker’s" style chicken. It is thought that this dish was named Scarpariello since the chicken bones protrude from your mouth as you eat them much like a shoemaker might hold tacks in his mouth as he works. Another southern Italian origin to the name comes about from the fact that even the family of a poor shoemaker in southern Italy could afford to make this dish, while yet another version explains that all of the ingredients in this dish can be easily "cobbled" together.

Like a lot of Italian-American dishes its morphed into a variety of differing preparations and ingredients. One variation doesn’t involve peppers at all but rather a lemon based tangy sauce version. The version below, however, is fairly true to what I believe Rao’s serves in their restaurant, a vinegar and wine-based variant. It can be made with hot sausages and hot cherry peppers, with milder versions of each or a combination of hot and mild.

Whatever the source of its name might be and however you choose to make it, this dish is yet another example of a delicious Italian classic. So diamoci da fare (let’s get busy) and make some Chicken Scarp!!

Chicken Scarpariello

Course. Lunch or Dinner.
    Cuisine. Italian-American
    Makes. 4 to 5 servings
    Takes. 40 minutes prep, 90 minutes cooking time

Ingredients

2 – pounds bone-in chicken thighs
    1 – pound Italian sausage (hot or mild)
    1 – large size red bell pepper
    1 – medium onion sliced
    6-8 – whole garlic cloves halved
    4-5 – hot pickled cherry peppers (Mezzetta or Cento brands) halved

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cewnto peppers.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1219361
    5-6 – small stewing potatoes like Yukon Golds halved
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup dry white wine like pinot grigio
    1-1/2 cups chicken stock low sodium
    1/4 cup chopped parsley for garnish
    3/4 cup olive oil divided
    1/2 teaspoon of oregano
    Salt and pepper to taste

Name:	chicken scarp 01.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	1219360

Directions

Begin by prepping all your vegetables. Cut your bell pepper into long match sticks, your cherry peppers in half and your onion into slices. You’ll cook each down in the braise so keep them fairly chunky. The dish also calls for lots of garlic so again either leave the cloves whole or cut them in half. They will sweeten up in the sauce.

Take your small potato halves and give them a good dousing of olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake them in a 400* oven until golden brown with a crisp outer skin, 15-20 minutes. Remove when done and set aside.

In a cast iron pan next start browning your sausages. Start with a little olive oil and pierce each sausage to allow the fat to escape to facilitate further browning. Do not overcook the sausages as they will finish in the braise. When done allow them to cool then cut into one or two-inch pieces and set aside.

In the left-over oil and fat, begin browning the chicken thighs. Start by placing the skin sides down. Leave each piece for about 5-6 minutes without touching to achieve golden browning on each side. When finished place on a wire rack or somewhere they can drain.

Next add the bell pepper and onion to the pan and begin to sweat and soften. Add a little more oil if necessary. Also add a pinch of salt and pepper to this layer. After about 4-5 minutes add in the garlic cloves and cherry peppers. Continue to sauté for another 3-4 minutes until everything is softened.

De-glaze the pan with the red wine vinegar and the white wine. Scrap up any little bits of fond in the bottom of the pan, that’s all flavor for the sauce. Bring to a boil then add the chicken stock. Return to a boil seasoning with salt, pepper and oregano to taste.

Preheat your oven to 400*F. Nestle the chicken, sausages and small potatoes into the pepper sauce. The chicken should not be fully submerged to allow the skin side to further re-crisp up while braising. Place the pan into the oven and allow to braise for at least 30-45 minutes.

After the dish is fully cooked its ready to serve. Although I prefer a thin soup like sauce, you may opt to want it a bit thicker. If so remove the chicken and sausages, bring the sauce to a boil and add a couple of tablespoons of a corn starch slurry mixing continuously until it reaches the desired thickness. Return the chicken and sausages to your sauce, combine one final time and serve. Garnish with some chopped parsley for a pop of color and a finishing touch.

Name:	chicken scarp 02.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1219359

Give this spicy and vinegary recipe a try, it’s definitely a unique chicken dish with the flavors of the Old World. It’s the next best thing to having a booth at Rao’s, after all its Bobby De Niro approved!! Mangia !! Trout signing out !!

Name:	Rbt De Niro.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	1219362

Looks delicioso, Steve! Love me some chicken scarp!

Comment

Troutman On the list. Thanks for another great one!

Comment

Looks awesome, as usual. As for Rao's...yeah, you cant eat there. I believe they only have 10 tables, dont take reservations, and tables are booked on a quarterly basis by regulars. Same night, every week typically. They do take out now. You need to text the manager the day before between 12-4, cash only, 20% added and you better pick up on time, lol.

Comment

Sounds delicious. I will definitely be trying this dish soon. Thanks for posting!

Comment

I was wondering what was for dinner tonight. I shall wonder no further.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup shall, shalln’t you?

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              I saw your version on SUWYC, looks tasty.

This looks great!

Comment

This does sound and look good!

Comment

Wow that looks good. Thanks so much for sharing!

Comment

Wonderful work as always.

Comment

Mine is braising in the oven as we speak. The house smells Heavenly!

Comment

Thanks for another fine recipie Troutman

Comment

Is this a Family Recipe? Ours doesn't have the red wine vinegar but has lemon juice, capers and plenty of red pepper flakes. We think it's the garlic that is the star of the dish, try using some hot pickled garlic!!
                        Nice recipe Troutman!

Comment

• Troutman
                          Troutman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          As I mentioned in the write-up this is another one of those dishes that has morphed itself into a number of variants. I'm tempted to try the lemon juice version, it would be a totally different flavor profile from the vinegar one.

And no, not a family recipe. I'm Swedish not Italian, but I think I must have some Italian genes in me since I love their cuisine so much !!!

Only thing I'd add is a loaf of crunchy Italian bread to sop up that "thin soup like sauce"......................yum!

Comment

• Troutman
                          Troutman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Indeed Bob but seeing as how I'm on this stupid diet of mine I'm steering clear of carbs, much to my chagrin

I made it tonight and it was very good. I do have advice for others, though. I cut the recipe in half. In so doing, I lost some of the beauty shown in your photos. Cutting the liquid down meant that I had none left when I pulled it from the oven. I could not find whole peppers so I had to use sliced. The recipe was very hot. I like spicy but I would adjust the pre-cut peppers next time. By cutting it in half but baking as long as the rice called for, I also overshot the temp on the chicken. I sure am glad that I used thighs and not breast. It was still tender but the temp was 187 on the thickest thigh. This recipe is very good. I know what adjustments I have to make next time. I will cook the full recipe and will just cut back on the amount of sausage and chicken I put in. Thanks again for your contributions to us. I had a lot of fun making this.

Name:	IMG_7500.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	1221103 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7501.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1221102

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here