Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian Classics, “The Series“ - Chicken Milanese w/ Caprese Salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Classics, “The Series“ - Chicken Milanese w/ Caprese Salad

There are few things in life and in cooking that make me happier than something classical, simplistic to make and oh so delicious! Chicken Milanese fits neatly into all of those categories. It’s simply a delicious breaded chicken cutlet that’s pan fired to perfection. This not only fits into the classic Italian series but is equally at home in my simple weekday meals series as well.

Anything that is alla Milanese means in the style of Milan, a city in Northern Italy. You can alla Milanese a steak, veal, pork and in this case chicken cutlets. All these items, despite the protein used, are pounded thin, breaded and pan fried. Its origins are probably based on peasants taking poor cuts of meat, pounding them thin to cook quickly, evenly and to a degree of tenderness, then making them taste as delicious as possible.

Next to that other classic and absolute favorite of mine, chicken parmesan, this dish is usually served with a side salad to offset the richness of the fried cutlet. In this case I chose another classic Italian, the caprese salad as a compliment. Served alongside some asparagus or whatever side makes you happy, this simple but oh so classical meal is for sure a keeper.

So, let’s get busy and make some Chicken Milanese

Click image for larger version  Name:	Milanese 01.jpg Views:	8 Size:	6.38 MB ID:	1199140

Chicken Milanese w/Caprese Salad

Course. Lunch or Dinner.
    Cuisine. Italian-American
    Makes. 2 to 3 servings
    Takes. 30 minutes prep, 30 minutes cooking time

Ingredients – Chicken

5-6 (6-8 ounce) Chicken cutlets (pounded or sliced thin chicken breasts)
    2-3 cups bread crumbs like Panko
    1/3 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
    1/4 cup chopped flat leave parsley (or cilantro)
    Flour for dredging
    2 beaten eggs for wash
    2 cups cooking oil like avocado
    Salt and pepper to taste

Ingredients – Caprese Salad

8-10 ounces small sweet tomatoes halved
    6-8 ounces fresh mini mozzarella balls halved
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    2-3 tablespoons EVOO
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar of Modena
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon Kosher salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

Click image for larger version  Name:	Milanese 02.jpg Views:	8 Size:	4.65 MB ID:	1199139

Directions – Chicken
    1. If using whole boneless chicken breasts, take a sharp knife and slice them in half into two cutlets. If starting with cutlets or cutting them from a whole breast, cover each with plastic wrap and pound very thin and to a uniform thickness of about 3/8”.
    2. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper. Set aside.
    3. Next, set up your breading stations. Have one container with flour for dredging, another with 2 beaten eggs for wash and a third for the panko breading.
    4. For the breading mixture combine the panko, the Romano cheese and the chopped parsley into the breading container and mix thoroughly.
    5. Season each station liberally with salt and pepper.
    6. Begin by dredging each cutlet first in the seasoned flour. Shake off all the excess, you only want a very light coating.
    7. Next plunge the dredged cutlet into the egg wash. Carefully lift it our of the wash with a fork and allow the excess to drip back into the container.
    8. Finally lay the dredged and washed cutlet into the container with the panko mixture. Cover the cutlet and agitate the container to coat the cutlet completely with the breading. Gently pat each side then set onto a baking sheet.
    9. Repeat each cutlet until all have been breaded. Place the sheet with the cutlets into the refrigerator and allow them to rest for about 10-15 minutes.
    10. In the meantime, take the cooking oil and place into a cast iron frying pan. Begin heating on medium high until the oil reaches 350*F. I prefer using avocado oil due to its high heat tolerance and neutral taste.
    11. Fry each cutlet approximately 1 minute per side maintaining the heat at 350*F.
    12. Place each cooked cutlet on a wire rack tented loosely with foil. When all the cutlets are cooked, place the rack into a warm 170*F oven until ready to serve.
    Directions – Caprese Salad
    1. In a medium size bowl, combine the tomatoes, cheese balls, chopped onion with about 2 tablespoons of the EVOO and mix. Add the salt and pepper and mix again to combine.
    2. Place the salad covered with plastic wrap into the refrigerator until time to serve.
    3. Just prior to serving, remix the salad. Add the remaining oil, the balsamic vinegar, the lemon juice and the chopped basil. Give it one final mix for service.

Plate the dish with one or two of the cutlets alongside the caprese salad. Sprinkle with some Romano cheese, a bit more finishing olive oil and a touch of balsamic. Along with any other additional side, you’re ready to enjoy yet another simple, classic but elegant Italian dish.

Buon Appetito !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Milanese 03.jpg Views:	9 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	1199141
    Trout Signing Out !!!

Once again you are killing me. One of my favorite dishes. Either the tomatoes and mozzarella as shown, a bit of salad on top or plain with just some fresh lemon squeezed on top. Fantastic dish, thanks again for the write up.

Comment

One of these days you need to throw all of your series' into a book

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Funny I was just thinking that.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        He has discussed that, perhaps when he retires.

• DTro
        DTro commented
        Editing a comment
        I would buy that.

You're killing me! That is amazing - great write up, great pix.

Comment

Winner, winner....well, you know the rest.......

Comment

That looks amazing!

Comment

Love caprese salad. Gonna have to save this one for when my neighbor’s tomatoes ripen. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Ok - I had leftover cheesesteaks tonight. You know You have made me envious, again. Outstanding.

Comment

Another home run!

Comment

Looking good in the Amazing Rib-a-hood.

Comment

That'll do!

Comment

Phenomenal.....I like to add some Italian seasoning powder to the flour dredge, really amps up the flavor

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Indeed, good call !!

This looks great. Not trying to hijack the thread, but I made Jean-Pierre's sauce to go with mine and it was fantastic.

For the Sauce

1 tablespoon Eureka Lemon Virgin Olive Oil
                      1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
                      2 Shallots (or Onion if you do not have shallots) – fine dice
                      ¾ cup Chardonnay
                      ½ cup Heavy Cream
                      ½ cup Lemon Juice
                      ½ Lemon Zest
                      ½ cup Chicken Stock
                      1 tablespoons Cornstarch diluted in 1 ½ tablespoon water (if necessary)
                      2 tablespoons Non-Pareil (small) Capers
                      3 to 4 tablespoons Sweet Butter cut into small cubs
                      Salt and Pepper to taste

For the Sauce
                      1. In a sauté pan when hot, add olive oil and butter when light golden brown, add the shallots and cook until light golden brown. Add the wine, salt and pepper and let reduce until about half is left, then add the lemon juice & zest. Add the chicken stock, cornstarch (if necessary), capers, parsley and cream. Bring to a boil and set aside. Off the heat, add the butter. Adjust with salt and pepper.

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have a vodka sauce I'm about ready to roll out that mimics that very closely. Add equal amounts of vodka and wine (instead of just wine) and a can of San Marzano tomatoes to that recipe above. Killer. Thanks for building on a solid foundation!

• wrgilb
                        wrgilb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Troutman I'll give yours a try, in sounds good!

Terrific recipe, and the caprese presentation is clever. The way you've arranged the asparagus causes me to wonder though. I'll bet you've got a drawer with colored pens orderly arranged in concert with a color spectrum chart don't you?

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Actually you caught me. Those are my fake ‘prop’ asparagus used in places like Hollywood and often seen in Food and Wine magazine. I think they’re still available on Amazon. 🤪

Troutman

Cooked this for dinner this evening. Delicious, family loved it, even had the dog stealing pieces of chicken from the counter! I was told that this is going in the rotation...thank you for sharing this recipe!

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Glad you enjoyed it !!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here