Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chef Jean-Pierre's Traditional Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STEbbq
    replied
    I carved my turkey for tomorrow’s cook per the video. Super easy and highly efficient. What a great technique! Much better than mangling the poor bird with my carving knife after the fact. Wonderful!!!

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Good to know. Thanks!

K.

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    fzxdoc I made his gravy last night along with a grilled chicken. I added flour at the beginning, cooked it for about 30 minutes. I did not add butter at the end and it didn’t need it. My wife said it’s the best gravy I’ve made. She normally doesn’t eat gravy because she gets an upset stomach. THis time, she agreed to try and see what would happen. She did not get an upset stomach and really enjoyed the mashed potatoes and gravy.
    Last edited by ecowper; November 20, 2021, 11:53 AM.

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Keep us posted. For me, adding a nice flour/butter roux at the end to thicken the gravy ticks two boxes: 1. a delicious way to cook the flour and 2. already contains the butter that he has to add at the very end.
    I'm not such a fan of cornstarch thickening, but I may do it differently this year, because I trust his methods.

Golly, I love his videos. I want to invite him to our house to meet all our friends!

K.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Forget all that nonsense and just drink the mezcal 👍

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Never mind. I see Serious Eats has plenty of uncooked bird carving instructions that are identical.

• STEbbq
    replied
    Would these instructions change materially if you were slicing up an uncooked bird? I think not, but don’t want to assume.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    I like his approach to gravy. Doing a test run tonight with a chicken on the SnS. So far, the gravy is outstanding

Leave a comment:

• 58limited
    replied
    Chef Jean-Pierre posted an updated turkey video today:

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    On the Food Network, Michael Symon used a really interesting method to 'baste' the turkey. Instead of actually basting it or slathering it in butter, he melted a stick of butter with some mezcal and aromatics (herbs, shallots etc IIRC). Once that was done he took a piece of cheesecloth and tossed it in the butter mixture, stirring it around so the cloth absorbed most or all of the butter. Then he draped it over the turkey and roasted it, removing the cloth at the end.

If you have a cable subscription or other sub that lets you watch Food Network, this is the episode (start at about 2 mins in): https://watch.foodnetwork.com/tv-sho...giving-special
    Last edited by rickgregory; November 18, 2021, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Totally welcome … other than his over the top butter thing, this is pretty darn close to how I did it before I figured out that you can BBQ a bird. My grandmother taught me how to do it. This method will turn out great!

• barelfly
    replied
    Excellent! I have only cooked a whole turkey once in my life. And that was 20 years ago. I just ordered a free-range turkey off CC for half price, thinking, heck, I need to cook a turkey over the holidays. Perhaps I’ll bake the bird even though I’m really thinking of smoking it. But, good to see this pop up so I know I have some varied approaches I can educate myself on.

Thanks for posting!

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Shingle Springs? I had a very good friend who lived there when I was a kid. I grew up in Rocklin when it was nothing but 1500 people many moons ago.

• SierraBBQGuy
    replied
    Chef Jean Pierre is posting a Thanksgiving dish every day this week on his YouTube channel. Love this guy, so much knowledge and entertaining. So far, his Gravy and Cornbread Chorizo stuffing recipes are on my menu.

Leave a comment:

• fkrall
    replied
    Fun to watch, and great tips as well. He's the gourmet chef's answer to pizza's Vito Iacopelli!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here