Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brick Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brick Chicken

Akin to beer can chicken, brick chicken is a yester year popular way to cook fowl. Generally it's cooked in a pan and/or indoor oven. I must admit it was one of those recipes that I hadn't even thought about, much less cooked, in a number of years. As such I decided to do one over the weekend on a whim, so I thought I'd share a quick recipe writeup in case you all would like to give it a go. It's easy and produces a nice, moist result.

Brick Chicken

Course. Lunch or Dinner.
    Cuisine. American
    Makes. 4 to 6 servings
    Takes. 60 minutes prep, 1-1/4 hours to cook

Ingredients – For Chicken

3.5-4 pound - Whole Fryer Chicken
    2 teaspoon Kosher salt
    2 teaspoon ground pepper
    Chicken seasoning of choice
    1/3 cup Avacado Oil (or other high heat oil)

Ingredients – For Potatoes

1 pound - small boiling potatoes
    1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1/8 cup Aged Balsamic Vinegar
    1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
    1 teaspoon Kosher salt
    1 teaspoon ground pepper

Directions - For Chicken & Potatoes

Start by spatchcocking the whole fryer by cutting out the backbone. Lay the resulting chicken on a flat surface, cover with plastic wrap and pound as thin as possible with a heavy mallet or rolling pin. Add the salt and allow to dry brine at least 3 hours to over night.

​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	brick chick 04.jpg Views:	108 Size:	168.6 KB ID:	1105062

Rinse the small potatoes under water and allow to drain. Once drained cut each one in half. Whisk together an emulsion of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, salt and pepper. Add the potatoes to a large bowl and toss in the dressing. Set aside.

Wrap a couple of bricks with aluminum foil (or a heavy Dutch oven if no bricks). Paint the chicken on both sides with a portion of the Avacado oil then sprinkle the pepper on each side. Take 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil and add it to a non-stick frying pan. Heat the pan to about 275-280*. Once heated place the chicken skin side down to sear. Weigh the chicken down with the bricks or heavy pot to assure maximum contact with the pan. Brown the chicken for about 14-15 minutes over medium heat. Check to see that the searing isn't over done (I went about 20 minutes and over shot mine just a bit).

​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	brick chick 05.jpg Views:	110 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	1105060

While the chicken is searing fire up a grill setup for indirect cooking. Add a chunk or two of apple or cherry wood for some smoke. Take the potatoes and place them in a 12" cast iron pan. They should cover the bottom and create a platform for the chicken to sit on. Make sure the cut side of the potatoes are all down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	brick chick 06.jpg Views:	110 Size:	147.4 KB ID:	1105059

​Once you are happy with the sear on the chicken, carefully lift and place the chicken cut side down (seared side up) onto the potato platform. Once the grill has reached a temperature of between 300-325*F, place the pan with potatoes and chicken on the indirect side and roast. Check to see the internal temperature of the breast meat reaches about 160*F and the dark meat in the thigh is about 170*F. It should take about 45 minutes or so. Baste with some oil if the chicken begins to scorch or dry out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	brick chick 07.jpg Views:	107 Size:	176.1 KB ID:	1105061

Once up to temperature, remove the pan from the grill and allow it to rest on your stovetop for about 20 minutes. Carve the bird into smaller pieces and serve country style on a platter with the potatoes. A nice green salad is a great accompaniment. Enjoy !!

Click image for larger version  Name:	brick chick 01.jpg Views:	107 Size:	181.1 KB ID:	1105063 Click image for larger version  Name:	brick chick 02.jpg Views:	109 Size:	179.2 KB ID:	1105064

This is a great mid-week dish if prep is done in advance. Total cooking time is just a little over an hour. Try this for a change of pace, chicken comes out super moist and the potatoes are over the top having received their chicken juice bath !!

Troutman makes an exit stage left !! Enjoy your week ahead !!
    Last edited by Troutman; October 5, 2021, 12:15 PM.

Wow! Flat gorgeous presentation on top of cool method. Only one point of confusion. When you wrote "cook foul" I was expecting to see how you cooked a baseball..........

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You guys and your spell checking. Sorry, I'll try to "hit it out of the park" next time

Very nice!! Got a yard bird sitting in the fridge that I think will get this treatment tomorrow.

Comment

As usual, another outstanding contribution to the pit! Thanks Steve.

Comment

Thanks, had plans for chicken outside in my cast iron next weekend and now I have a great way to do it.

Comment

That looks absolutely amazing! In the Caucuses region they make a pressed chicken dish called "tabaka." It's cooked in butter under a brick in a large skillet.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Kinda the same thing. You'd have to hold the heat down if using butter.

One question, you mention chicken seasoning in the ingredients but I don't see when to add it in the instructions. I assume after the sear but before the grill, can you clarify? Thanks.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Good catch. I actually don't recommend seasoning for the pan sear, it will just burn. Just pepper and the salt from the brine is sufficient. Think of this as a "blackened" chicken. Seasoning is optional once placed on the pit. I think I used some Secret Weapon on mine.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I didn't think anything other than S&P for the sear would have been a good idea, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to use some of MH's S&G seasoning for the potatoes and perhaps on the chicken before roasting. This looks like a fun cook, or coq, as it were, thanks again for sharing.

Very nice. I do this all the time with chicken on the grill. Classic "pollo al mattone". A twist - I put a pan on top of the chicken and the bricks in the pan. You get more surface on the press and also don't have to deal with slippery hot bricks.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I cheated and put my Dutch oven on top of the bricks, don't tell anyone !!

• theroc
            theroc commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman - great minds.....

Looks delicious as usual. Another on the "to be made" list for sure! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

My brother loves doing brick chicken. I've done it a few times and great results. The vortex on a Weber though just kills it. I know you love the vortex. Great pics as usual. Makes my mouth water.

Comment

Sure looks good... I'm sure using my Blackstone to get a good sear on that skin would be perfect.

Comment

This was very good and a really fun cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here