Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle Fried Vortex Chicken Thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attjack what dill pickle juice do you buy off Amazon for your chicken brine?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I did a classic buttermilk bath for the chicken 2 hours prior to breading. I dried the pieces off as well as I could and it worked out great. Pickle juice isn't something you readily find so I improvised and it came out really good.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman buttermilk has acidity, as does the vinegar in the pickle juice, so that makes sense. I've got to feed 6 on Thursday for family poker night, and am thinking that will be a good evening to try this kettle fried chicken recipe. I'll just plan on at least two bone-in thighs per person. Or I have two whole chickens in the freezer that I may just thaw and cut up between now and then, and save a trip to the store.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I jus eat me th pickles, an save th juice...

Poortex?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you heard of the Vortex kettle accessory? A lot of people end up making their own from a stainless steel bowl and those homemade ones are referred to as the "Poortex".

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes and thanks!

Attjack you may not know the answer, but if you were to use this recipe but with a cut up whole chicken - 2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 2 drumsticks - do you think cooking time would be about the same, or would I be juggling when to pull different parts of the chicken off the grill? I ask because I have two whole chickens, about 3.5 to 4 pounds each, in the freezer...

As a side question, do you think there will be any difference in performance using a Vortex (or Poortex) on a kamado versus a kettle grill? I can run the cook on either the Performer or the SNS Kamado. The Kamado has the advantage that the upper vent is in the center of the dome, so I would not have to rotate the lid 90 degrees every few minutes the way the folks on the VortexBBQ site recommend for the kettle with the Vortex.
    Last edited by jfmorris; September 14, 2021, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      To @Troutman's leg comment. Listen to him about legs because I don't really care for them and never cook them unless they are attached to a whole chicken. They are then either passed off to a guest or end up as pulled chicken for leftovers. I'm all about the thighs and wings if I'm doing parts. Sometimes I break down and cook a breast at her request (like I'll do tonight).

• Joey877
      Joey877 commented
      Editing a comment
      When I did this (pictures above) I did eight thighs and two breasts. Thighs and one breast came off at the same time, but the other breast took another eight minutes or so. I was watching the white meat closely, but the thighs I let run a bit hotter.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      So... results may vary? Sounds about right.

Well I broke down and bought a Vortex. I’m a bit of a doubting Thomas on things but for the $40 I spent I think this thing is a keeper.

The recipe was awesome, although for my family I’m going to have to cut the hot stuff and I think the piece of wood.

Cant wait to make some wings with this recipe.

Comment

• Joey877
      Joey877 commented
      Editing a comment
      I disagree. My family loved the combo of the spice and smoke. I'll probably back off the spice a bit for the kids next time, but leave it in for my wife and I. The wood definitely stays.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Joey877 I appreciate the feedback on the wood.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack I don’t know if I’d take it out. I believe you have it as optional. I think that suffices. With my family I think I can do one or the other but not both.

You've entered into the Vortex. You took the red pill. So be it.

Comment

Alrighty, 10 thighs are marinating in pickle juice, and in the meantime, I am eating an entire bowl of hamburger dills as a snack on my desk this afternoon as I work on the computer. I pray I don't get sick! . I'll update later after the cook.

Post-Cook Update:

The results were very very good. I might have gone a few more minutes for a little more crispness, but then again, I didn't get to eat for 30-40 minutes after I pulled the chicken off the grill - I put it in a warm oven and carried dinner to my daughter's house, since their kitchen is out of commission to get new countertops.

I had to adjust a couple of things:

- Had no celery salt, so subbed 1 tsp celery seed and 2 tsp salt.
      - Ran out of cayenne pepper - had 1 tsp, so added 1 tsp smoked paprika to make up the difference.

Overall glad I got the vortex, and this recipe is a keeper. Thanks Attjack !

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_153911.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.11 MB ID:	1095674

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6281.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	1095675 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6284.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	1095676
      Last edited by jfmorris; September 16, 2021, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never used a convection oven but I'll bet it would work great.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I think the air movement is key. After all the air fryer discussion, we know that air fryers are just tiny convection ovens. The Vortex/Poortex make the kettle into a high heat convection oven of sorts. One place on the Vortex site calls it an "air fryer" for your grill or something like that.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! This made me laugh! I went and dumped pickle juice from 3 jars to get what I needed! But saved enough juice in each jar to keep the pickles under brine

And your chicken looks great by the way!

Didn't need a third time lucky. Was very happy with second chance as were all the other participants. I did remember to add the baking soda .
      I battled against the cool wind and the kettle didn't get much higher than 420F. The skin was crispy-ish but I believe it would have been much better with more heat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210919_185954.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1096852

Comment

I did some Vortex kettle fried chicken a few weeks back. My batch wasn't great but good enough to k ow that it could be great with a few tweaks. Gonna have to give it another try. I did a buttermilk brine and I think that brought some flavors that I didn't really care for. I have done buttermilk brined fried chicken before and it was great but didn't care for it on the grill. Maybe the pickle juice will make a difference.

Comment

I did some Vortex kettle fried chicken a few weeks back. My batch wasn't great but good enough to k ow that it could be great with a few tweaks. Gonna have to give it another try. I did a buttermilk brine and I think that brought some flavors that I didn't really care for. I have done buttermilk brined fried chicken before and it was great but didn't care for it on the grill. Maybe the pickle juice will make a difference.

Comment

I posted this elsewhere but it was so good I figured I should put it here to keep this thread going.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	DE781BDE-C71C-4569-BA62-A1908789AAEE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.33 MB ID:	1096892

Click image for larger version  Name:	69420349-D257-4A8E-88C0-C1C80D3F3100.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.42 MB ID:	1096894

Comment

• nikolausp
              nikolausp commented
              Editing a comment
              Is that crunched up foil, under the chicken? (if so, what is it for?)

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              nikolausp I line the grate around the bottom of the outside of the vortex helps direct the airflow up through the vortex. Just make sure you cut the foil underneath the vortex opening.
              Last edited by klflowers; February 14, 2024, 04:30 PM. Reason: I line not i lining

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              You can also cut a hole in the center of an appropriately sized pizza pan.

I’ve been trying other things with my "Vortex". The latest was pork steak (from the shoulder). I dry brined for 8 hours and then in the kettle for 12ish minutes on each side. Nice and juicy. I’ve also done Costco’s Angus & Chuck steak burgers as well as brats and even did some scallops at the end with the fire starting to wind down. I like that you don’t have to worry about getting "char" on the meat. Just thought I’d share this while on the "Vortex" subject.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been into pork shoulder steaks recently. I have not done them with a vortex though. You're definitely not going to have to worry about flare ups.

This is on tap for tonight. Will turn this great recipe into a bit more of a Nashville Hot flavor, but looking forward to this!

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike - I’m good, thank you! After searching a bit more, I found what I was after! Thank you good friend!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              You bet, and thank you for bumping these threads as I'm doing them tomorrow.

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike - oh my……..here’s to your Sunday cook being as good as what I was able to conjure up!

My vortex and grate just arrived and have only removed the tags and labels…
            I’m not posting pics, cause I think ya’ll get the picture already…

I’m sure excited to use it!

Comment

Well………i really have no words for this. Oh my goodness did this just turn out FABULOUS!!!!! I’ll post up on the show us thread as well with a few other pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	507064F4-85EB-4232-9B90-DBE4BD570088.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	1338201

Comment

Oh I just cant stand it any longer! I have 4 bone in breast thawed for a cook this week, now to source the pickle juice!

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I get pickle juice from my local liquor store when I don't have any saved from jarred pickles.

• Clawbear57
                  Clawbear57 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What's the pickle juice for?

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Clawbear57 a brine

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here