Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle Fried Vortex Chicken Thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kettle Fried Vortex Chicken Thighs

Click image for larger version  Name:	4l6tkH7YI_WBY3HcTvdjy83t3gnLrXcUnAJmLu3JGSIZBCduN5tY4RnezD8ELqYlZHqCwB0HzTmLeuS2CeiFq-k0YwERWloWMlI-SBI3eYdTGw-2BmSCQ8kI9SU0CJ3Y3se9nf-QLBlxR339RmFKMdFLYblemC6XeVK7EpyD5BLbwe5OVI-_0lb_WCc3_nEcWGTqIlAF6xC4KpZYhwnAnucwzVqVEPdJQDHol2IK9eHSpLh5aXgosDdteYELc-k Views:	183 Size:	409.8 KB ID:	1079423

Ingredients:

8 bone-in, skin-on thighs 10 oz dill pickle juice
    1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    3 teaspoons celery salt
    2 teaspoon cayenne
    2 teaspoon Kosher salt
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons smoked paprika
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda

Method:

Trim excess fat from the thighs.
    Place the chicken in a large zip lock bag and cover with dill pickle juice. Let the chicken brine for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
    Light a chimney full of charcoal and dump it into your Vortex in your Weber Kettle.
    Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
    Remove the chicken from the brine.
    Pat the chicken dry and brush lightly with avocado oil.
    Working in batches, press the chicken into the mixture and shake off the excess.
    Place the chicken on the grill grate along the outer edge, skin-side up.
    Place a chunk of wood over the Vortex to generate smoke (optional).
    Cover and cook for 15 minutes then rotate the chicken 180° and cook for 15 minutes more.
    Check the temperature after 30 minutes.
    When close to the desired temperature lightly brush the chicken with avocado oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
    Cover and cook another 5 minutes or until the chicken reaches about 170° F.
    Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest before serving.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pxcBDulEp-loULae6xqzSwP8QL8XjI4Q5XU2fZfz2Sgsu8GZ3g9lAZGQllHbx5pjL_xt95nODfLCVwGxoNy7jpLIDBxAPnQIy54zCZ9WZUxo4u9My4Su6zKY8liYesGWr-PZX_lvKEom4rX01p75mRmzLWwxXE_lnkCu3mIvW03GnuSlH7zeKIWMpmwMlvrGRKWanVWgiZF95PqYxEBXg_6-0SfxERy0xJqTTkEM3b_iuZ3ubvvEu1qA_KLZhnt Views:	176 Size:	465.7 KB ID:	1079424
    Last edited by Attjack; August 22, 2021, 12:16 PM.

Dan Deter jfmorris

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Pic 1 were ya jus burnin some hardwood lump on top, fer some mildish smoke?

Looks like that might be th deal...

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought that too at first, however he said to place a hardwood lump over the vortex, so I think that's just the result of a decent chunk of wood over the vortex for 30 minutes.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      gboss Attjack has different smoker woods, , so I am curious to hear his reply...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 18, 2021, 09:27 PM. Reason: Corrected my taggn, become all kinda topsy turvy, mentally, I'd havedta reckon...:eek:

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I put a chunk of cherry on there at the beginning of the cook.

Looks fantastic! Sounds better than kfc…. Will be trying this , thanks!

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      It is KFC. Kettle Fried Chicken!

Luv the chicken thighs around the vortex,,,,,,
    never disappoints

Comment

Thanks Attjack . I copied and mailed to me. When I'm more in tact I will dump it in Paprika. Updated shopping list with chicken thighs. Going tomorrow. Ironically, I have wings on the list for the vortex.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        This will work with wings too. Breasts (bone-in) would also work.

That looks like a great meal!! We love kettle fried chicken but cheat and use Louisiana Chicken Fry.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s a pre made boxed dry coating. It’s already seasoned and I just dump it in a zip bag add the chicken and shake it up to coat everything. Then let the chicken sit on a rack a few minutes before cooking.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Suh-Weet!!!
        Shake an Bake, fer us with a Cajun tooth!
        I'm in!

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack Mr. Bones, I think the real key is what you said about using a little oil the last 10-15 mins. I just use a cooking spray and give them a quick spray. Gives a nice crispy skin.

So if I don’t have a vortex, can I get hot enough with the SNS, or do I really need to get a Vortex? I’ve not bought into any MCS since January’s win…

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        🤔 that's a good question.

• Hulagn1971
        Hulagn1971 commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I think you could get it hot enough using the SnS with bottom vent wide open and top vent wide open. I've done skin on chicken thighs this way and had no problem getting crispy skin. Of course I am going to have to try the Attjack version recipe.

Are you cooking with vents fully open, or targeting a kettle temp range? Is rotation in relation to upper vent?

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Bottom vent is fully open and the top is around half-open. I have no idea what temp it runs at because my Weber thermometer doesn't go that high. But it is so hot I have to use a welding glove to open the lid. The rotation is about getting some heat on the other side of the chicken.
        Last edited by Attjack; August 19, 2021, 12:24 PM.

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Got it. Thanks.

I need more info on that corn, Attjack

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I doused it in lime juice, then salt, Tapatio, and cojita.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I also use Tony C's on mine as well.

You are always so pleasing to the palate.

Comment

Daaaaang. Yeah man, the Vortex is such an underrated product. I love using it with the kettle, it is so simple, yet so effective to use. Not to mention it looks awesome when it is ripping.

Thanks for the recipe, that chicken looks fantastic. Looks like you got a killer crust. Would you say that is from the last application of Avo oil?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          The crust actually looks good before the oil.

I think I'll be giving this a go. I love the Vortex.

Comment

Where is the homer simpson drooling gif when you need it. Love it!

Comment

Love the Vortex for chicken. It is a chicken roasting machine. Thanks for posting.

Questions:
            1. Did you brine the chicken before dusting with flour mixture?
            2. I don't think I've ever used a full chimney of charcoal in the vortex. What was your Weber temp during the cook?
            3. How did the chicken come out? Obviously the skin looks crispy, but was the meat tender or a bit dried out?

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't brine this time because this was a spontaneous cook. Pickle juice would be a good brine choice. The temp was so high the thermometer went around the dial and passed 0. Although the chicken wasn't too dry I did go over my target temp.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here