Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Chicken Roll for Cold Cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    I've tried similar using gelatin, and it just fell apart when I tried to slice it. Anyway, the satchel of the meat glue is pretty cheap (about the same as a sack of charcoal), so it won't break the bank.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    johnec00 no worries, thanks for the response. Gonna have to give it a shot at some point. Do you think the glue is necessary? I'm not opposed to it, just wouldn't use it for anything else so would hate to waste it on a single cook.

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$ although my comment came out that way. I do frequently add bacon to sandwiches like chicken, turkey, egg, etc. Anyway, the condition of the skin does not seem to matter once its sliced fairly thin. If you didn't want the skin, the same process could be used without the skin. I just think it adds to the flavor.

• latenight71
    commented on 's reply
    I was thinking that but thought there was another secret reason! Thanks again. looks great!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    johnec00 maybe crispy isn't the right word, but low smoked poultry skin can be rubbery. Just wondering if the slicing or the technique prevented that?

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    The skin was probably not crispy, I didn't pay any attention. The intent was just to slice for cold cuts. When I want crispy on a sandwich, I just fry up some bacon.

• johnec00
    commented on 's reply
    It was an experiment to see which worked better. Both worked the same, so if I do these again, I'll probably just vacuum bag.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Looks great. Thank you for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• latenight71
    replied
    Looks excellent! why do you net one but vaccuum bag the other? thanks for posting. looks much tastier than the discard pieces that end up mass produced lunch meat!

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    looks great, but the skin isn't rubbery or the slices are too thin for it to matter?

Leave a comment:

• johnec00
    started a topic Smoked Chicken Roll for Cold Cuts

Smoked Chicken Roll for Cold Cuts

We eat a lot of sandwiches and far prefer home made cold cuts so we sort of know what we're eating. Made some smoked chicken for sandwiches last week, here's the recipe.

Carcasses make good soup stock too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1010377

And pictures to prove it happened.

First half breast put on spread out skin with Moo-Glue:

Name:	first breast.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1010370

De-boned thighs sandwiched between breast halves and starting to roll up:

Name:	pile.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1010371

Rolled up tightly in plastic wrap:

Name:	wrapped.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1010372

Prepped for sous vide:

Name:	sous vide.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1010373

Smoked:

Name:	smoked.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1010374

Ready for slicing:

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1010375

Ready for freezer:

Name:	freezer.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1010376

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here