Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasted potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roasted potatoes

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I will soon...

Try it and don't forget photos.

Comment

I find the pan more than anything dictates how crispy your roast potato's get more than anything.
      We finally found a pan at a local cooking supply that does a fantastic job on roast potato's.

Comment

• DennyWoo
        DennyWoo commented
        Editing a comment
        What type of pan do you use? I am a big fan of roasted potatoes and am always looking to make them even better.

• WillTravelForFood
        WillTravelForFood commented
        Editing a comment
        we've started doing duck fat roasted potatoes using the cast iron pan in a 400+ degree oven. Fingerling sliced in half, or those baby potatoes lightly smushed

We were recommended this brand years ago
      they are well worth it
      Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        No heavier than a cookie sheet or any other baking pan

• CandySueQ
        CandySueQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I'm going to order one -- tired of breaking pizza stones! Shipping cost is a shocker!
        Last edited by CandySueQ; January 18, 2022, 10:09 AM. Reason: update

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Good.
        I hope your not disappointed with these pans, we love them for roasting potato's and pizza.
        My wife thinks we paid about $18 each for that size.
        Agreed shipping costs have gone thru the roof, I just got a notice from a winery I buy from, shipping doubled. Sorry kids no more plonk from you. And don't even get me going about eBay shipping prices.

Is that cast iron?

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        No. Heavier sheet treated metal

bbqLuv - here's a photo for you. The taters were OK, but I don't think I'll do it again. I asked my wife what she thought, and she said they were "different", but she did eat her share.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220118_182235[1].jpg
Views:	303
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	1161697

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for photos.

RonB Try this method. https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best...es-ever-recipe

Basically you parboil in alkaline water, toss, which roughens the outside, then roast.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I have used that recipe but just wanted to try something new.

Interesting

Comment

As I cook roasted potatoes for a living, maybe this can help. The pan is less important than the treatment you give those spuds. Yes, cast iron, etc., will help, but the condition of the potatoes is crucial. By the way, this technique works on pretty much any type of potato. So, cut your spuds to whatever size and shape you like. Wash in warm to hot water to render some starch. Then, rinse in cold water, and drain well. Once drained, place in a big bowl or suitable container, then, using a dry towel, dry the potatoes as best you can. It may take more than one towel depending on quantity. Add your oil of choice, herbs, then salt at the end. For all that is holy, do NOT add any salt until the oil has coated the potatoes, as the salt will pull moisture from the potatoes increasing the chance of burning. The oil will mitigate this. Toss, then roast at 375-400 till done and browned. Easy.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here