Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck Fat Potatoes (or Eric for president)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Fat Potatoes (or Eric for president)

So, I finally got around to cooking potatoes in duck fat in my offset smoker.

The idea came from ecowper, a brilliant man if I may say so. He cooked potatoes in the oven,
    covered in oil
    . His suggestion was to use duck fat instead. That's what I did. And used my offset smoker of course.

Ingredients
    Duck fat
    Potatoes
    Garlic cloves
    Rosemary
    -
    Sea salt (for when serving)

Instructions
    - Set your smoker/oven to 130° C / 265° F.
    - Place the potatoes in a pan with 2-3 inch walls. You want the potatoes to fit snugly together, this way less duck fat is used to cover them.
    - Cut garlic cloves in half and add them. Add a sprig of rosemary.
    - Now cover everything in duck fat.
    - Cook in the smoker/oven for 2 hours.
    - Get the potatoes out and serve with sea salt. Tasty!

Taters

Click image for larger version  Name:	duck-fat-potatoes-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	283.4 KB ID:	1036726

Covered in duck fat

Click image for larger version  Name:	duck-fat-potatoes-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	351.0 KB ID:	1036725

Sizzling!

Click image for larger version  Name:	duck-fat-potatoes-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	302.3 KB ID:	1036728

Plated and served!

Click image for larger version  Name:	duck-fat-potatoes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	418.6 KB ID:	1036727

These potatoes were outstanding! Love that flavor. Thanks ecowper !

Looks yummy. Do you filter and reuse the duck fat at the end of cooking?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup

Drooling here! (frantically ordering duck fat)

Comment

Looks outstanding

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I gotta tell you, cooking potatos confit in EVOO, with garlic and rosemary was amazing. I can only imagine taking it to the next level with duck fat.

Just wondering: I have a couple of jars of chicken fat. How different would using that fat for this be?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        It would probably work well too. I can't imagine it's that different with respect to saturated vs unsaturated fats et.c.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Chicken fat will likely have less flavor but will be fine. You might want to add herbs etc to it, just make sure it doesnt get so hot it burns them

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guys. Growing up, "schmaltz" (chicken fat) was a regular part of frying/adding oil to a number of family traditional dishes. I know it is a bit lighter then duck or goose fat, so adding some aromatics makes sense.

Wow, there are few things better than this!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I'm gonna have to agree with you on that :-)

I'm assuming they were white wall to wall.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        You betcha! :-)

Oh man! I need to try this. I don't know how I missed ecowper original post.

Comment

Looks so delicious. Nothing not to like about that idea.

Kathryn

Comment

Wait, is that your photographs only prop bbq pit? That one just roll off the assembly line??

Comment

Very nice. I make pommes de terre sarladaise which are potatoes fried in a pan in duck fat, but that can be messy. This doesn't have that fried potato vibe but it looks much less work.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Potatos confit are amazing and life changing. Not fried, but …. Well, you should just try them :-)

So need to follow all of your leads on this. Need to source duck fat now.
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 27, 2021, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              You’re gonna like it!

That looks/sounds incredible. Would you try it with cut potatoes as well, or would the cut faces absorb too much of the fat?

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely! I can’t see the fat absorption being a problem.

Looks awesome. I cooked a duck on the rotisserie for Easter (my first time cooking a duck) and put some parboiled potatoes and herbs in a foil pan below the duck to catch the drippings. Those were some of the best potatoes I've had. I still have a bunch of duck fat left over, so I might try this recipe.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Catching the drippings like that - sounds like a hit to me!

I might need to try this with beef tallow as i have a ton of that in the freezer but little duck fat...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here