Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheesy Potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna try this soon! Have you ever made it the day before, then cooked it the next day? I'm thinking this'd be a dy-no-mite breakfast strata. Thanks for recipe.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      We often make two batches, cook one and freeze one. When ready to cook the frozen one, add about 45 minutes cooking time. Pop in the oven frozen.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      and I don't see any reason at all that you couldn't make it the day before and cook it the day of.

This sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I like to add a tablespoon of adobo sauce (from chipotle chili’s) and mix sharp cheddar and manchego. Garnish with green onions and cilantro. Yum!!

Comment

I make mine very similar, but use Cream 'o Cheese soup instead of chicken. Cause, you know, Wisconsin.

Comment

Wife's family has a recipe like this they call Party Potatoes. Have seen it called Mormon Funeral Potatoes, as well.

Wife's fam does a corn flake topping that is very good. We do it with a panko and cheese topping mostly.

The frozen hashbrowns work great. We've also done with tater tots and cubed hashbrowns... the cubes work great. The tots, they put a lot of deliciousness but don't really have the structural integrity.

We regularly add other cheeses into the mix. Parm Reg in the topping, gruyere or clothwrapped cheddar for the filling.

We did one with a cream of mushroom, which was fine, but the mushrooms came quite mushy, not great. I could see it with fresh 'shrooms off the grill or sauteed, but would blend the cream of mushroom down if I were in a pinch. Golden Cream of Chicken gives you a nice roasty flavor throughout...

It's a pretty bulletproof recipe. Very hard to make a bad change to it.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Where you been? I miss that shiny bald head

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            Haven't been cooking much, especially with the wet and cold winter... One thing about the condo, cooking outside on the covered deck was easier than doing in here... we got like two feet of snow in our backyard that didn't go anywhere for a month and a half. Also, the Everything From Home has been a drag.

• skipsdaughter
            skipsdaughter commented
            Editing a comment
            Skip and I also put cornflake topping on at the end. A nice crispy texture for our non-Mormon funeral potatoes. I was coming to make that comment and see you've already shared that hack.

I guess I'm still old fashion, still like my All Rotten Potatoes (as my daughter calls them)....

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs cauli taters 05.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1036969

Comment

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            Also delicious.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Be more'n happy to split that with ya, Brother !

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I love me some All Rotten taters!

This is a favorite in our house almost exactly as you have it. Instead of shredded hash browns, we use the Ore-Ida Diced hash browns. And extra cheese. Lots of extra cheese. Lol.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL I catch my wife adding cheese every time my back is turned

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper to paraphrase Dorothy:

Mr. Bones sez: "There's No Place Like Cheese!!!"

Or a variation on the RickyBobby theme, take Ore-Ida Tater Tots and make a Tot Casserole....

Click image for larger version  Name:	tot cass 01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	824.3 KB ID:	1037294

Click image for larger version  Name:	tot cass 04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	939.5 KB ID:	1037295

Comment

• RickyBobby
            RickyBobby commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call! Love tot casserole also!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Always Welcome, in my belly!!!

That there's only 1 servin, though...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here