Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheesy Potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheesy Potatoes

This is a dish that we serve for holiday dinners, take to work potlucks (when we can have them again), take to friend's get togethers, have for BBQ, etc. It's easy to make, everybody loves it.

Overview

I got this recipe from Stacy, who wrote it on an envelope 20+ years ago. It’s a cheese and potato casserole. Kids and adults, both, will love it. Easy to cook, makes a great potato dish for holiday meals and summer BBQ.

Notes

The spices are "to taste". Remember that your butter, cheese, and cream of chicken soup all have salt in them, so don’t overdo the salt. Pepper gives a nice contrast, but you don’t want it too peppery.

Takes (how long)

Food prep - 10 minutes

Cooking time - cook covered in aluminum foil for 30 minutes, uncovered an additional 60 minutes. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving. Either that, or be prepared for a cheesy potato volcano on your tongue.

Serve with

Great served as your starch side with Prime Rib, tri-tip, BBQ brisket, etc. It’s an easy to make casserole that is ideal for holidays and BBQ’s, or taking to a potluck.

Special tools

None

Ingredients
    • 2 lbs shredded potatoes (hash browns)
    • 1/2 cup butter, melted
    • 1 can cream of chicken soup
    • 2 cups sour cream
    • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    • Onion powder, kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, garlic powder to taste
    • 9x13 baking dish, Pyrex type

Method
    1. Pre-heat oven to 350F
    2. Grease a 9x13 baking dish
    3. Gather all your ingredients and prep them (melt butter, etc)
    4. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl except the potatoes
    5. Add spices until it seems right to you (I do 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp pepper)
    6. Add potatoes and mix until distributed evenly in the casserole
    7. Add casserole to it and pack down and distribute in a single, even layer
    8. Cover tightly with aluminum foil
    9. Cook for 30 minutes covered, remove foil and cook additional 60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender
    10. Remove from oven, loosely tent with foil and allow to rest 15 minutes.
    Just mixed a batch together, spread in baking dish to go in the oven
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2514.jpeg
Views:	639
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	1007385

Finished!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2520.jpeg
Views:	844
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1007384

I love potatoes like that. I have taken to making something similar for most family gatherings and could probably put down a half a pan of them myself. I like putting some crushed potato chips on the top too.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      we made a pan this past saturday. On saturday night, we probably ate 1/3 of the pan .... and then the two teenage girls destroyed the leftovers on Sunday

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinkin' crumbled BACON!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB I’ve done bacon as a mix-in. It’s pretty damn good.

Wow, this looks great, E, thanks for sharing! When I first saw the title I thought you might be throwing shade at Panhead John for being so cheesy all of the time. Well, most of the time, anyway.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      That bein said, I often toss in some PCC Philly Cream Cheese, from a receipt I got from a good Bro: Never any leftovers, I kin tail yall that...

Also, never be afraid to sneak yall in a lb. of Breakfuss Sausage, up in there, fer th win...

Contrary to what I usually do/recommend/advocate, in this here, particular case,: drain th sausage. Otherwise, NEVER throw away that flavour... )
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 22, 2021, 05:55 PM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones I am a huge grease advocate. But in this case I’d have to agree witcha.
      Last edited by Panhead John; March 22, 2021, 05:35 PM.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, I would make sure the sausage or bacon isn’t too greasy. I’ve done bacon in them, it works nicely.

Nice recipe! What are your thoughts about subbing gruyere for the cheddar?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you could put any nicely sharp cheese that gets good and melty in it. I wouldn't do something like mozarella cause it won't contrast with the potatoes well. But gruyere would probably be great.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I might try a 50:50 mix, thanks fer th ideal!

My wife has made a dish very close to this one. A real crowd favorite for 30 years. So good. I always eat wayyyy to much. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Kind a a shredded version of potatoes au gratin. I like it ecowper !! May give it a whirl.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        exactly .... and easy peasy to make

Do 'em in the smoker!

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, probably do 'em along side ribs next time I do a bunch

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        They are good smoked. Of course everything is better with a kiss of smoke !!!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        A given, unless otherwise consrainted.

Bookmarked!

Comment

Yup. Great side dish! Thank you!

Comment

You can do whatever mix-ins you like for this, of course. I usually don’t do any because people love it just like it is.

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I can confirm that most of us that tried one of the recipes from Panhead John were only hospitalized. Very few died.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks ecowper I sure do miss ol tbob4 though. I think he just ate too much of it.
            Last edited by Panhead John; March 22, 2021, 09:09 PM.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John - I bookmarked this page just so that I never forget the recipe! HA!

One of our favorites! Had them for Christmas even.

Comment

Have been making these for a long time for family get togethers. I make a regular pan like this recipe and another with bacon, onions and diced Jalapenos, these are really good.

Comment

Can you use frozen bagged potatoes? Or do you have to shred yourself?

frozen brand preference?

Comment

• Northern lights smoke
                Northern lights smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                The frozen bagged hash brown shreds work the best

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                Northern lights smoke is right .... my preferred shredded potatoes for this are the ones from Costco.

Downloaded to Paprika app. Will get the fixins this weekend.

Tell Stacy thank you, and thanks to you as well.

Kathryn

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                watch out, it's more addictive than mac n cheese

Made this recipe today. Paired with BBQ chicken. Just perfect and one I will do over and over. Thank you ecowper

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh yeah, this one is a keeper!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here