Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porcine Pleasures - Christmas version pork belly a la Hank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porcine Pleasures - Christmas version pork belly a la Hank

To be honest, as a non-native English speaker I hope the title isn't offensive in any way

Anywho, as some of you may have seen in another post I got my hands on some Iberico Pork Belly. It is very rich, and with intense marbling. And I promised I was gonna do a real Christmas version of it, so here goes.

How about smoked pork belly, with a gingerbread rub and spritzed with glögg (mulled wine)? Christmassy enough for ya? I sure think so! Ok, here goes.

Ingredients
    1 kg / 2.2 lbs Iberico pork belly
    5 gingerbread cookies
    1 tsp salt
    7 tbsp glögg (get the good stuff)

Serves
    4 people

Prep time
    10 minutes

Cook time
    3- 3.5 hours

Instructions

Dry brine the pork with the salt the day before.

- Now crush the gingerbread cookies with your hand or in a mortar to a fine dust.

- Apply evenly all over the pork.

- Fire up your grill/smoker, have it running at 130° C / 265° F and use some wood chunks for smoke flavor. I use oak or cherry.

- Smoke the pork belly for 2 hours.

- Now spritz the belly with the glögg, applying a good amount every 20-30 minutes until done. This builds some serious bark.

- It's done when the inner temp hits 80° C / 175° F. A bit lower than normal pork belly, but it's because this is so fatty.

- Let the meat rest for 20-30 minutes, loosely tented with some aluminum foil.

- Slice and enjoy with your favorite beer.

Check out the insane marbling, part I

Click image for larger version  Name:	iberico-pork-belly-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	980.2 KB ID:	960641

Check out the insane marbling, part II

Click image for larger version  Name:	iberico-pork-belly-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	405.1 KB ID:	960636

Gingerbread rub applied

Click image for larger version  Name:	iberico-pork-belly-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	411.4 KB ID:	960638

Pork belly getting smoked

Click image for larger version  Name:	iberico-pork-belly-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	345.2 KB ID:	960640

Here's what it looks like after resting, wobbly like all get out

Click image for larger version  Name:	iberico-pork-belly-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	257.2 KB ID:	960639

And here it is, sliced and ready to eat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	iberico-pork-belly-6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	266.8 KB ID:	960637

Some pics didn't turn out that good, sorry about that, but it got real dark. Anyhow, the flavor combination is a bit odd, but I gotta say it turned out real good! My wife blind tested and gave me two thumbs up also. So I guess this one is gonna be done again. I can highly recommend it.

Whadda y'all think? Merry X-mas, pit masters, Hank is out!!
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 22, 2020, 11:38 AM.

As always Henrik looks like you knocked it out of the park. I would eat that to the point of being sick and then do it all over again.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! There _was_ a lot of fat on it, so I only had a few slices. But I think spreading it out over time (putting a cold slice on a slice of rye and a beer every now and then) is a Good Thingâ„¢ :-)

Nuthin offensive, Brother, but yer missin an "s"in Pleasure...

That pork belly both looks an sounds insanely good!!!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bones! Oddly enough I can't seem to edit the title. Huskee or Spinaker - isn't that possible?

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I fixed it, Hank... Henrik
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 22, 2020, 11:41 AM.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      You da man!

I thought you were gonna have something good. I looked at the title and scrolled down to see the photos and was salivating all over my iPad as to how good this all was and then I went back to read what you all wrote. "Serves 4 people" 😂😂😂 ain’t no way 3 other other people are getting anywhere near that!!!! 😡😡 that’s mine, all mine!!! BAH HUMBUG!!!
    Very impressive!!!

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      agreed. fix the recipe. serves one.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha ha ha! Well, I've never seen my dog pay such close attention, let me tell you that! It went down rather well, but due to it being so rich I don't eat as much as I normally would.

Mighty fine!

Comment

That is amazing! Nicely done

Comment

I my have to reserve a few gingerbread men. Thanks!

Comment

Another great job. Ya got me Hankering fer some of that.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, thanks!

As some of you may have figured out already from the first pic - I cut off a few slices yesterday and fried up as bacon. Yes I know it wasn't smoked or cured, but still had an amazing flavor. I call it quality control

Comment

That belly looks sublime. Good job as always.

My addiction to Pork Belly is always in the hunt for something different. I'm going to get me a pkt of top quality ginger biscuits tomorrow and I have redirected one of my what would have been bacon slabs to this worthy cause. Don't have any glogg but will improvise somehow.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Apple juice will do just fine too.

Looks great. Wondering if Risengryn Grod or something similar is part of the Christmas meal in Sweden.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              It is! I'm gonna make it tomorrow or the 24th!

Another really interesting offer Hankster. You really are pulling out all the old Swedish grandma recipes for our Christmas enjoyment !! Who'd of thought of gingerbread with bacon....

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I took a wild chance with this one, but sometimes one gets lucky!

That looks great! The first picture showing the marbling - you should frame that and hang it on the wall it looks so good.

Comment

Looks Awesome!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here