Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tuscan Spare Ribs Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuscan Spare Ribs Recipe

This is a recipe that I got out of the Spec's Liquor Store magazine about 15 years ago (Spec's is a really good Texas liquor chain store). Today while searching to see if the recipe is authentic, I found the exact recipe here: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe...areribs-259138

Anyway, I usually cut the ribs into individual ribs rather than leaving them as a slab, I use crushed tomatoes instead of whole or diced, and I tend to use red wine instead of white wine. Instead of roasting them in the oven, I use my kamado - gives a nice little smokiness.

This is a pork ribs recipe but yesterday I made this with beef ribs, because, why the hell not? I added a little less then 1/4 cup of chopped fresh oregano this time as well. The beef ribs took longer to cook (they were a little tough using the times in this recipe so I braised them an extra 45 minutes). In the end, I think I like the pork version better but the beef ribs are tasty.

Here is the recipe (same as link above):

Tuscan Spareribs

1/4 cup minced garlic, plus two cloves sliced
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh sage
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh rosemary
    2 tbsp Kosher salt (I usually use 1 tbsp)
    1 tbsp black pepper
    1 tbsp plus 2 tsp crushed redpepper flakes
    7 lbs pork spareribs - I slice into individual ribs
    7 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    3 1/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes (Red Gold is my favorite brand)
    1 1/2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tbsp hot pepper sauce
    1 1/2 cup water
    1 cup dry white wine (this recipe makes a red sauce - I used a red wine and it was great)

Combine minced garlic, sage, rosemary, salt, black pepper, and 1 tbsp red pepper flakes. Rub ribs well with this and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 24-48 hours.

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat large baking pan with 1/4 cup olive oil and lay ribs in pan. Roast 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Turn ribs over and roast 1 hour more. Check periodically: if bottom of pan starts to burn, add water. While ribs are roasting, coat large skillet with the rest of the olive oil. Add sliced garlic and 2 tsp red pepper flakes. Saute over medium until garlic starts to color. Add tomatoes, Worchestershire sauce, and pepper sauce. Add 1 1/2 cup water and bring to a simmer. Cook 30 minutes. When ribs have browned on both sides, drain pan (important or recipe will be too oily). Add tomato mixture and wine, cover with foil, and braise in oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil and roast 20 minutes. Serve.

First pics were taken several years ago of pork spareribs on my Cypress Grill:

Click image for larger version  Name:	tuscanribsdone.JPG Views:	1 Size:	110.1 KB ID:	699071
    Click image for larger version  Name:	tuscanribsplated.JPG Views:	1 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	699070

Below are the beef ribs I made yesterday - I started the marinade Wednesday evening. Here they are before going on the kamado:

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2817.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	699072
    After one hour. I turned them over after taking this picture:

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2818.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1,011.1 KB ID:	699075
    After the second hour. Turned them over again, added the sauce, covered, and braised:

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2819.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1,008.3 KB ID:	699074

The finished product:

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2820.JPG Views:	1 Size:	987.9 KB ID:	699073
    Last edited by 58limited; June 22, 2019, 12:31 PM.

looks amazing!

Comment

Forgot to mention: For the beef version I added a little less than 1/4 cup of fresh chopped oregano. I corrected the post above.

Comment

Now that looks different and REALLY good!

Comment

That looks mighty tasty.

Comment

Sounds like a great recipe. May need to test that out

Comment

Excellent variation and technique for beef ribs.

Comment

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Dang my to cook list is getting pretty long. Added this, thanks for posting.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same here

Looks delicious!

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

The only thing missing is ME and PBR.

Comment

ANOTHER recipe I need to try. Not enough days.......

Comment

Cooked this again today with elk spare ribs, turned out great!

Click image for larger version

Name:	elk_tuscan1.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	1207898

Overnight marinade with salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, and fresh herbs.

Name:	elk_tuscan2.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	1207897

Roasted 1 hour.

Name:	elk_tuscan3.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	1207896
                        Sauce added and braised 40 minutes then roasted 20 minutes.

Name:	elk_tuscan4.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	1207894
                        Served over vermicelli with some Pecorino cheese and a nice Chianti. Not quite fork tender but close.

Name:	elk_tuscan5.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	1207895

Comment

I need to partake of this.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here