Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs - Step-By-Step Primer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine only got to about 190 between the bones, but they were certainly done, and moist.
    Very happy with the results.

POG first and MMD second gave a great bark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200716_153856.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	882365

Name:	20200716_153904.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	882366

Name:	Attach120980_20200716_180500.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	882367

​​​​​​

Last edited by BFlynn; July 18, 2020, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like another great "show us your rib face"! …, …, …!

OH My, Looking good.
    I was looking for information on the pors and cons of wrapping in paper, foil, or no wrap for pork ribs.

Comment

You are a true pitmaster, TroutmanSteve, a great resource and inspiration to us wannabes.

Comment

I know this post has been around for a little while, but I just came across it. I’ve read dozens of articles and recipes about cooking ribs, and for whatever reason, this one really resonated with me. Troutman, thank you for putting this together. I can’t wait to try it out!

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s what’s great about this site. All the insider tips you get that you don’t get from magazine articles. Until I read Troutman’s write up, i never thought of dry brining. Now I always dry brine and then use my rub minus the salt.

You Done Good.

Comment

For your short rib dry brine do you leave covered or uncovered in the fridge?

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Uncovered, let the excess moisture evaporate and the meat protein firm up.

This is great, thank you!!

Comment

I read your Article with interest very nicely written very clear and informative thank you for the help.

Comment

gonna try this recipe this weekend in my pitboss pellet cabinet. i'll take pics and try to figure out how to post thanks!

Comment

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                can't wait to see the pics

Thank you for sharing a valuable recipe!

Will try this next weekend.

Comment

Ya know, this sorta reminds me of those signs with cows on em sayin’ "eat more chicken"....... a trout showin’ us how to make ribs....
                I love trout but I’ll throw on some ribs for ya

Comment

Thank you for this great article! It is definitely a keeper for me!

Comment

Great write up! I am going to try it this weekend.

Comment

I noticed two different salt amounts: in the initial writeup, Troutman states 1tsp per lb, later, restates as 1/2tsp per lb. Both seem a bit high to me for ribs, I have always gone at about 1/4-1/2 per lb. What salt are you using?

Comment

• Troutman
                        Troutman commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The 1 tsp is an error. I use 1/2 teaspoon per pound depending on the thickness of the ribs and the type of commercial seasoning used. I would not exceed 1/2 tsp under any circumstance with pork ribs.

WoW !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here