Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs - Step-By-Step Primer

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m about to try this method and wonder if there is any danger of over salting? Dry brining, Worcestershire, two rubs with salt seems a lot. Am I off base somehow?
    And thanks for the time and care in putting together a great tutorial.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I dry brine with 1/2 teaspoon per pound and use rubs without a high salt content with no issues. You can make your own saltless rubs if you’re concerned. Good luck !!

I’m cooking ribs and didn’t have a 5 hour window...I started them last night and smoked them for about three hours, the internal temp came up to about 165. I’m looking to finish them in the oven today, any suggestions on temperature and time? I’m planning to wrap each slab in foil individually, and pop in the oven at 275. I guess I can just stick a meat thermometer in one of the slabs and pull them out at 203? Great write up!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Your approach seems just fine. Since you are reheating essentially, put a little apple juice or some liquid in the foil. Will help with moisture and the braising of you ribs. Good luck.

Thanks for the great write up! I tend to overthink my smoking abilities, but you set me straight. I'm not a fan of the 3-2-1, as wrapping in foil gives too much of a steamed result. As I write, I'm smoking my first St Louis ribs in my new Camp Chef SmokePro DLX. I'm super excited!

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome NancyO from the California Delta.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Ribs are not too difficult to cook right but easy to cook wrong. Good luck with your's and welcome to the Pit as well. Be sure to post an intro in the Introduce Yourself channel.

Excellent job-----what kind of smoker, and what kind of wood?

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      It's totally up to you and your tastes. I use either my pellet grill (for larger cooks) or a Weber kettle with SNS. I try to stick with apple or cherry, gives me milder smoke and great color.

Nice write up. I personally do exactly the opposite as far as wrapping: pork ribs no; beef ribs yes. Also, I like my pork ribs to be between 185 and 190°F IT. 200 seems WAY overcooked to me. But that's just me.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      And that's something I point out numerous times in the write up. I encourage a consistent way that pleases you. Certain steps should still be followed but finishing steps are totally up to the individual. Some folks like mushy, fall off the bone ribs. It's a "knock yourself out" open recipe that is there for guideline sake,

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman - Totally! I think your write up was great, really. I just thought it was interesting how both of us, who I know produce good/excellent 'cue, have different approaches that each work for us. Definitely no offense intended.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      And certainly none taken. Thanks for the props !!

Excellent tutorial...very well written and the photos are top notch.
    Thanks for your time, effort and in sharing your expertise.

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      #1 Troutman you are my hero...

I really enjoyed your presentation and the consideration you gave the different styles. I like the Texas crutch, it has done wonders for my BBQ since I learned about it lo those many years ago. I'm trying your Kosher salt trick right now for some pork ribs I'll be cooking tomorrow. I do find it oddly humorous to add Kosher salt to pork...

Comment

Fantastic step by step instructions and pics. I threw a rack on baby backs on today. Prepped them last night with 'The Slabs' rub and used yellow mustard as a binder. 3 hours at 250-275. Kingsford charcoal as my heat source and hickory for the smoke. Wrapped them for hour #4, with butter and brown sugar. Finished them with Mangold BBQ Sauce (in honor of the NFL Draft Weekend). It could be some of my best work yet. To make things even better as I was cleaning up I heard the mailbox slam and in it was my Amazing Ribs.com Pitmaster Club Stickers.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Those ribs look picture perfect, nice work 👍

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Those ribs look terrific. Hope mine turn out like that! I’ll post a pic when there done.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the bottle!

In my view, pork ribs are the most exquisite food on the planet, I really like them a lot.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	A469BAD4-AA61-49B8-837A-289D5C699EF1.jpeg
Views:	580
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	845384 Must be karma, or something like that. I just put these baby backs on about 20 min ago. Great write up! Thanks for taking the time. I do some things the same, some different. But as you pointed out, there are many ways to achieve nirvana with ribs.

in short: I am a yellow mustard, no wrap, spritz every hour after the first 90 min or so, glaze with sauce at the end guy.

Comment

Thank you for that write up. It as a very good reference point for me. I have it bookmarked.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CFF43CA7-1B7B-4F90-9AF8-999F7B520935.jpeg
Views:	512
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	845637 Here are those BB’s I posted going on the cooker earlier today. Yum. 😋

Comment

Wow, what a manifesto! Well done.

Comment

Troutman gonna try your double layer rub and wrapping in pink paper on ribs tomorrow.

To recap -
                You smoke at 275 for. 3 hrs ish.
                When the bark is set you wrap in paper for an hour. Check if done.

Doneness you tell by looking but also look for temps. 200-205 between the bones.

Glaze and heat for 15 mins.

Anything I'm missing?

Comment

Just came across this article today. Thanks for the ideas and clarity! Gonna try this week!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here