Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redneck Vittles: The Series Smoked Boar Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redneck Vittles: The Series Smoked Boar Leg

Imma keep it simple, kinda like me. Give Wilber a dirt nap. This ones sleeping pil was a hand rolled 175 grain .30-30 round; but thats a different recipe. Gut, skin, and quarter the beast and toss in a cooler. Fill cooler with ice all the way up, and then dump on a box of salt. Drain water and add ice as needed over the next 5 days. By the end of the 5th day there will be very little salt left in the water, and the meat should have desalination, and became much lighter in color. The loins will almost be white. Take a front quarter, and inject with a mixture of chicken stock, apple juice, salt sugar, msg, and rice wine vinegar. Dry brine and leave in fridge overnight. Next day, bind with mustard, and apply a salt free rub. I use what I call my Red Dirt Rub. It is not only salt free, but also sugar free too. It is a very savory. Smoke over hickory at 225° until it hits 175° and the bark is set like cement. Then drop it in a pan, and cover with foil. Back in the pit until 205° IT. Let rest in a cooler still in pan covered in towels 4 hours. Pull and serve just like any other pulled pork, but in my opniin it is a much different flavor. We really love it. Enjoy.
    Attached Files

If everyone knew just how good feral pig can be they would be endangered. Great looking cook!

Comment

Not sure how a Pumbaa would feel about this but I'd still eat it. Your Wilbur does look good.

Comment

Looks really good. Lots of questions: The title says boar - this was actually a boar and not a sow? Young? About how much did it weigh (live weight)? Does the five day ice bath get rid of the strong boar taste? Me and my friends have always avoided eating mature boars due to the strong taste.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes was a boar. About 150lbs I would guess. Removal of as much fat as possible and the salt water ice bath help a lot.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, when I first read "boar meat" I thought no thanks. But it sounds like he was on the younger side and I bet that brine really helps. I haven't hunted in years (not worth the hassle in California), but I'm sure this would be a great treatment for a domestic hog leg.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          My nephew gives em rooters the same recipe at his hunt camp in OK.
          I've heard the same, boar meat has a taste, sows to a lesser degree.

Looks like we’ll be shooting boars or go hungry!
        End of April, we did have new blood walk through the farm in the spot hog, who was walking with a black boar…. First time we’ve had two on camera at the same time….
        Still waiting on sounders… I’d like to try your technique with woods hogs instead of commodity pork…
        Attached Files

Comment

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter , we don’t bait, because of the bears… if the sounders don’t come along, I’ll build an open top trap so the bears can climb out… then catch one of the boars, cut him and then feed him for a couple months… I still have the will…. But my back is getting old…

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Washblue butchered out 4 we did that to this winter. Its always fun climbing into the corral the first time after trapping them and trying to get them hobbled without getting got. Got smart after I was nailed in the back of the leg once. Now I rope the others, and anchor them with a t-post before going in.

• Washblue
          Washblue commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter … Oh the stories a wild hog can create…

Great post

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here