Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Read - The Absolute Best Way to Make Juicy Pork Chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks & bookmarked!

Comment

I think she would have chosen the sous vide + sear method as #1 (instead of the #2 spot she gave it) had she set the sous vide temperature at 135° and seared it off, taking it to 140°.

I used to wet brine pork chops and reverse seared them until I discovered the magic of using 135° sous vide and sear, with the help of this topic.

Kathryn

Comment

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Rob whatever I use my pellet cooker to reverse sear everything.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure, Rob whatever . I reverse sear often in the PBC and in SnS/Kettle mode on the WSCGC. I don't often do steaks that way because we usually want to taste the meat without any smoke flavor, but tri-tip reverse seared in the PBC, for example, is delicious.

Kathryn

• Rob whatever
        Rob whatever commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc I am a smoke hog; I love the smoke flavor on steaks and chops. I have a hard time enjoying steaks without a smoke flavor profile these days. One of my many failings.

Rob

This one was pretty juicy. Dry brined over night. Next day seasoned with Accent, Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Lemon Pepper. Pulled at 140 IT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 12-17-18 at 6.54 PM.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1177922

Comment

When I don't have time to wet brine (or didn't plan ahead, which is usually the case), I've found that cooking low and slow at around 225 F helps keep the chops decently moist. (It does take a bit to get to 140 F internal, though.)

What I've been meaning to do is setup my butane burner with a cast iron skillet next to my pellet grill so I can actually get a good sear on them.

Comment

Chops wet brining right now

Comment

I gave it a shot. Supermarket Chops almost 2 inches thick. Wet brined for 12 hours. Reverse seared in the PK30. Was very juicy. A bit over salted with the brine and the SPG rub. Overall very good. Next time I won't use a salty rub. I do think you can get similar results with Sous Vide. The Milanese-style Berkshire pork chops we had last week were better just seasoned and pan fried.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2968.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.16 MB ID:	1178394

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2971.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	1178395
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2973.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	1178396

Last edited by Old Glory; February 21, 2022, 08:10 AM.

Comment

We have pretty much given up chops for pork steaks. SO much more forgiving to cook, and seem to be a slam dunk for juicy and tender.
              Pork Chops have been elevated ever since the temp guidelines were changed to145. It is amazing the difference 15 or 20 degrees has made in the pork chop world!

Comment

While I am not a fan of sv for steaks, it is the only way I do pork chops now. I hardly ever bother brining them at all. SV at 135 for 90 minutes, season and sear. Usually over coals. And I always use bone in, thick chops from Fresh Market these days.

Comment

I've done chops (and pork kebabs) marinated in mayonnaise with a seasoning/rub thrown in and mixed around. once not overcooked or over seared always come off juicy and more flavourful

Comment

• Old Glory
                    Old Glory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting. Just slather with mayo and the rub?

• Neris
                    Neris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't slather them, put them in a bowl and spoon mayo on top then the Seasoning and then mix them all up together and leave for a while

I wet brine pork chops. It's basically the only thing I wet brine anymore. Like the article's author, I find that dry brining a pork chop gives me a tougher outcome than wet brining. My method is wet brine + indirect (ie roasting) + reverse sear. I also paint with mustard sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Glory View Post
                    We love pork chops in our house. My Wife's favorite. We will be giving these a try. I think wet brining then roasting in the pellet grill and searing in cast ironwill be our best bet.

The Absolute Best Way to Make Juicy Pork Chops

https://food52.com/blog/27120-how-to...OqT5FJmCeH7kU4

Where is the recepie?

Comment

It’s the first post in this thread: https://food52.com/blog/27120-how-to...OqT5FJmCeH7kU4

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here