Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chile Pork Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chile Pork Roll

Some of you might remember that I've been playing around with what I called Popper Stuffed Pork Loin. So far, I haven't managed to produce a version of it that I felt was totally successful. After more thought about it, I decided that having the peppers cut up might be part of the problem. Why not use peppers that are more intact and fill them with the stuffing and then roll them into the pork?

It turns out that this is going to be the route that will work. I still have a few execution issues to work out, but today's first effort with this approach worked really well and needs only a couple of tweaks to be perfect.

I had been wanting to call this Relleno Roulade, but my poor knife skills and the size of the stuffed peppers meant that the meat didn't roll into multiple layers. It just made one large filled roll (but worked in that configuration, remarkably) so the better description is chile pork roll.

Chile Pork Roll

Ingredients

Boneless pork loin (I used a 5.4 pound portion)

Six large green or red chile, roasted, peeled and seeded (I used Lemitar)

Kosher salt for dry brining (1/2 tsp per pound of meat)

Pork rub (I used Hanks KC Royale)

Stuffing:

2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
    4 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 pound bacon fried and diced into very small bits
    3 green onions, chopped (tops only)

Also needed: butcher's twine

Method

I opened the meat up as well as I could but hindsight tells me I still went too thick with it even though I also put it between a couple of layers of parchment paper and tried to flatten it further with a rolling pin.

Before cutting, you can see it was pretty rough on the outside (purchased at Sams):

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-21 11.31.56.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1113529

Outside after opening:

Name:	2021-10-21 11.31.06.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	1113530

But the inside looked nicer, so I decided that I would roll it inside out for cooking:

Name:	2021-10-21 11.30.47.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	1113531

I dry brined it about two and a half hours before stuffing and rolling it.

Near the end of the dry brining time, I mixed the stuffing in a medium bowl. I also removed the seeds from the chile after splitting them down one side. Here is the stuffing mixture and chile ready to stuff:

Name:	2021-10-21 13.52.40.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	1113532

And the stuffed chile, rolled up:

Name:	2021-10-21 20.15.25.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1113533

In retrospect, this probably would work better with only half the amount of stuffing.

I dusted the pork with Hank's KC Royale on both sides and rolled the chile and small amount of leftover stuffing (distributed in small bits between chile) and then attempted to roll it up. The stuffed chile were probably too fat and the pork loin probably wasn't cut thin enough, so a normal "roulade" sort of roll wasn't possible. I tied it up anyway and forged ahead.

Name:	2021-10-21 14.50.44.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	1113534

I put it back into the refrigerator for another couple of hours for the cream cheese to harden some.

I grilled the stuffed loin on my Kamado with direct heat over natural lump charcoal and a couple of chunks of cherry wood. The cook was at 350 to an internal temperature of 140.

Name:	2021-10-21 18.23.54.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1113535

I let it rest about ten minutes before slicing to let the cheese cool down a bit.

Name:	2021-10-21 20.14.34.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1113536

Much to my surprise, much of the stuffing stayed put when the loin was sliced open:

Name:	2021-10-21 20.13.30.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1113537

The pork came out incredibly moist with a great crusty bark. The chile flavor was out of this world with the stuffing. I would class this particular batch of chile as medium. Just the right level of heat.

We ate well tonight.

Name:	2021-10-21 20.11.53.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	1113538

Name:	2021-10-21 20.12.52.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	1113539

The Only Thing missing is me. I will bring the PBR.

Comment

That looks amazing! Nice job brother

Comment

Very well done.

Comment

Looks like a mighty tasty meal, Jim!!!

Enjoyin yer experiments, an learnin along, Brother!

Thanks!

Comment

That loin looks to be cooked perfectly. I never mess up a tenderloin but if anyone can dry out a loin, I can. I am envious.

Comment

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. But I credit my trusty Kamado and controller, along with the knowledge from here. Seems like cheating with the dry brining, Kamado and controller. Cooking direct at 350 gives the good bark and stopping at 140 internal keeps it moist.

That sure is nice looking. Thank you for the recipe. I've got bags of frozen Hatch's and am always looking for a way to use them.

Comment

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd love to see how this works for folks who can execute the opening up of the loin better than I do. With that and less filling, somebody will achieve a roll with multiple meat layers.

• Bkhuna
              Bkhuna commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim White Here's a nice video about the knife work involved. I think you could even pound out the butterflied loin for even more surface are and just layer the chiie's and other ingredients.

I'm going to buy a pork loin today and give this a whirl.
              Last edited by Bkhuna; October 22, 2021, 06:40 AM.

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              In the last year, I have heard and read a lot on Hatch Chilies, especially here on AmazingRibs. I will have to give these chilies better attention next year.

I like that, flavor should be wonderful. Haven't seen your previous efforts so maybe you've tried the way I'd suggest. Once you've got it opened up, put down a layer of the opened chiles you show when seeding and deveining then top with a fairly even schmear of the filling mixture (say 1/4 inch), then roll it for the layered look. Just a thought............

Comment

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              That's definitely worth a try. Thanks.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Good thought, Uncle Bob.
              Going in that same direction, Jim White , maybe schmear cheese both under and over the chiles for more cheesy-ness?

K.

You're getting closer, Jim White . In fact, you may be there, once you are happy with the butterflying method. Let us know if there are any iterations the next time you try this recipe. While waiting, I may give it a go. Thanks for the inspiration and the recipe.

Kathryn

Comment

I do that quite often. Sharp cheddar, cream cheese, diced jalapenos. I put the bacon on the outside of the loin, and sear it on the grill at the end, or dunk it in the deep fryer to crisp it up. Works with chicken too, BTW.

Comment

Thank you for the recipe and presentation. Looks delicious and I will have to give this a try soon. I see what you mean by the knife skills. You'd want that roll thinner, but very difficult to maneuver. You did an excellent job. I wonder if using an electrical slicer (rotate slightly frozen loin) to put in guiding cuts to finish the cut.

I'm definitely going to grill up this recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here