Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been asked to post my pork rib recipe, so here we go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been asked to post my pork rib recipe, so here we go.

Usually, I start with pork ribs from Aldi. They are not labeled "Baby Back" but I think they compare well.
    Problem is Aldi runs out regularily of ribs. When I see them, I buy them out, don't care how many are there as long as they meet the criteria of well filled out with meat but not having the big slab of meat on top that crushes the proper cook.

Ok, starter done. Take these ribs at room temp and salt lightly and leave alone for 30 min or more. Short brine if you will.
    Depending on oven size, I use my convection smaller oven so I need to cut the rack in half to fit in the smaller space.
    Convection rules!! Such an even cook.
    Here's the key, season, wrap in tin foil, put in a 275 oven for 1.75 to 2.5 hr. I give a range because ovens are different.
    What you're looking for is the ribs coming out of the oven are starting to pull back on the bones but not all the way. Let the grill finish that. This little piece of awsomeness is nice because the ribs are cooked but not seared and have steeped in their own spiced juices for the oven time.
    Fire the grill!! Let the ribs rest in the foil.
    When coals are hot, unwrap the ribs and put them on the grill. If you have an audience unwrap the racks over the grill for a real nice showy flare up from the liquids inside the foil Ya, I'm a whore
    So now you're on the clock, the ribs need about 10 min a side to sear and carmelize the sauce before they become overdone.
    Move with a purpose. Not much time
    Sauce carmelized, ribs be done! Depending on how you cook on the grill will determine fall off the bone or you need to pull the meat off the bone. It's a learning process.
    Best of luck all and enjoy!!
    Yup, tmaan said dat!
    Attached Files

What is your rub and in what amounts? If we do not
    have a convection oven, what do you recommend?

Ribs look good though!
    Last edited by STEbbq; August 5, 2021, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Use a battery operated fan inside the oven.

just kidding don't do that

• tmaan235
      tmaan235 commented
      Editing a comment
      Glitchy, you're onto something there methinks
      Never know what will work until you try, right?

• tmaan235
      tmaan235 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
      I don't use rubs because I like my method and I should explore them but haven't. Generally I use a light to medium sprinkle of Celery Salt, a medium coat of no salt off the shelf mix ( I buy the mix that looks good when I read it ) Finish it off with a coat of Cayenne powder. Let your tolerance be your guide. I also mix Walkers Wood jamaican jerk sauce mixed into the BBQ sauce, I LOVE the flavor it adds. I made ribs on a conventional oven for years, don't worry.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Since you're firing up the grill anyway, why not do the entire cook on it? You're missing out on all of the great smoke flavour, not to mention that you lose the benefit of the convection oven by wrapping them in foil.
      I'm so confused.

Comment

• tmaan235
        tmaan235 commented
        Editing a comment
        Done that many times.
        I'm a whore, using the easy button

This is very similar to how many 'mainstream' restaurants do their ribs - places like Chili's, Applebee's, etc. They do come out tender and flavorful more from the rub and sauce, and then sear them on the grill. Honestly, this is a proven and successful record, look at how many racks of ribs these restaurants sell and for how many years.

I do agree, though, I want some smoke on mine. I've done oven ribs - I like to throw some sliced onion and squeeze on the juice of half a fresh lemon (per rack), too, along with the sauce. Then wrap 'em up and bake - it isn't the same as smoked ribs, but it's east, it's predictable, and visitors generally love them falling off the bone.

Comment

Do you sauce before putting the ribs in the oven or just before they go on the grill?

Comment

• tmaan235
          tmaan235 commented
          Editing a comment
          Always do it just after a little sear on the grill. Just enough time to carmelize the sauce.
          Last edited by tmaan235; August 6, 2021, 08:49 PM.

It's always fun to try something different with ribs. Usually for my family, the smokier the better, so this method might require a sell unless I sneak some Liquid Smoke into the sauce or give the ribs a very light initial rub with it.

I've actually never cooked ribs in an oven, even part way. Perhaps I should give it a go. Thanks for the recipe, tmaan235

Kathryn

Comment

My wife does not like smoke flavor even the lighter profile off my pellet pooper. I always do her baby backs (or those loin backs with "extra" meat) in the oven. Lightly seasoned with salt & pepper, wrap tightly in heavy foil and into the oven at 275 for 2 1/4 hours. While I have convection, I don’t use it for these as they wrapped. Unwrap, sauce and either grill or broil. They come out fall-off-the-bone and she loves ‘em.

Mine, of course, are smoked on the MAK.

Comment

I've done ribs in the oven, in the dead of winter on a rainy day when I just didn't feel up to fighting the weather to light the smoker. I did them at 225, unwrapped for 2 hours, wrapped for 2 hours, then unwrapped for an hour with some sauce to set them. They were good, but in the end, not much different in flavor than my wife's crock pot ribs. I didn't finish them on the grill though, which probably made the difference in your recipe.

My preference is to do the entire cook outdoors if I can, as we like some smoke flavor, and more especially bark, that just doesn't form when the ribs are cooked without smoke, or wrapped the entire time.

I guess I am fortunate in that all of my family likes smoked and grilled meats, and I've never had a complaint about too much smoke flavor, whether I cooked on offset, grill, kettle or kamado. I would hate to have to cook ribs two different ways to satisfy SWMBO.
            Last edited by jfmorris; August 6, 2021, 09:02 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              I had to learn to love cooking in the rain when I moved to Washington :-)

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              ecowper cooking in the rain is less problematic since I built a covered pavilion out by the pool. As long as my cookers are on wheels, its easy enough to drag it up under cover. If I don't feel like moving it I've got a patio umbrella on a stand that I can use too. So its been a few years since I let rain stop me from getting the job done at the smoker or grill...

• tmaan235
              tmaan235 commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually the reason cooking in the oven first was first forced upon me was I used to go sand camping on the river with friends. Price of admission was a boat. The only things you had is what you brought. It was so much easier to unwrap the precooked ribs and put them on the tripod over the open fire to finish them than it was to start raw.
              Not to mention the ribs were just barely cooked by the time it got dark and intoxication was setting in, awesome food on the river while watching the river

Thanks for sharing a new twist!

Comment

Country style ribs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here