Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Different Method (for me) to do ribs. Rib Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Different Method (for me) to do ribs. Rib Wing

It's on the The BBQ Bible web site, but not Steve's take. I just picked up a rack of St. Louis ribs. Might give this a whirl. Anyone do this?

Steve Nestor's latest project: Rib Wings! Here's how he made them and shows how you can grill Rib Wings too!

Steven Raichlen is behind the times. This is just another name for Blasphemy Ribs, which have been discussed on the Pit since I got here in 2017.

Read all about it here:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ibs#post398047

And here at the website Mark mgaretz made:

Blasphemy Ribs - dedicated to new and innovative BBQ and sides

My experience doing it with baby/loin back ribs is that they take 2.5 to 3 hours. I've not tried it with spares.

I've not done it in some time, but the times I did, the wife and kids all liked it better than the normal way of doing ribs, because all sides of each rib have rub and bark on them, as well as sauce if using sauce. I don't always do it as they take more space on the grill when done like that, and I am usually doing 3 to 5 slabs of ribs at a time. Laid out like this I can fit at most 2 racks of ribs on my kettle with the SNS and an elevated grate. If using an elevated grate for a portion of them, be sure to rotate the ribs top to bottom halfway through the cook, to get it all done at the same time.
    Last edited by jfmorris; July 20, 2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

I posted this in another thread today - these char siu ribs using Meathead's recipe on the free side are done basically using the same technique, cut into individual bones. This kinda gives you an idea of how many can fit on a 22" kettle using the SNS. Not sure what you are smoking on. This was 2 racks of baby/loin back split between the main grate and a "hover grill".

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1426.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.79 MB ID:	1063815

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_149375.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1064165
      Last edited by jfmorris; July 21, 2021, 08:08 AM. Reason: Added an "after" cook pic

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Like the looks of ribs in the before pic, would like to see the Aft pic.
        The grill does not look like a pellet grill?
        Did you pair them with PBR?

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqLuv I added an after picture of that cook just for your benefit!

The grill being used is a Weber Performer Deluxe with a SNS.

I most definitely did not pair them with PBR. Most likely they were paired with an American Blonde, a Strawberry Berlinerweisse, or an English Porter, based on what I most likely had on tap at the time of this cook in 2020.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you so much.
        You Done Good!

I've never done them. Learn something new everyday. And that's saying something for me.

Comment

I've done Blasphemy Ribs with both spares and BBs with equal success. 2.5hrs every time at 225deg on my kettles. As Jim points out mgaretz came up with this method 4 years ago. You can even up this with wrapping them in bacon that I think Brisket Syndicate did. Cook at 275 for 2.5hrs. Then set the sauce for an additional 10min.
        Last edited by Rod; July 20, 2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Correction on that, mgaretz did not come up with a method. That essentially goes back eons in China (Char Siu ribs). He just uses a plain sauce instead of the Char Siu.

Brisket Syndicate version I did.

Name:	unnamed.png
Views:	547
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	1063833

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Now I want ribs for breakfast. I'm hungry. I should know better than getting on this website early

• Brisket Syndicate
          Brisket Syndicate commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look outstanding!!

I just posted this comment on Barbecue Bible ..... will see if Raichlen acknowledges Mark came up with "rib wings" long before Raichlen did.

Mark Garetz, part of Pitmaster Club, came up with this approach at least 4 years ago and called it Blasphemy Ribs. The recipe is published on Amazing Ribs and on Mark's own website, Blasphemy Ribs.
        Last edited by ecowper; July 20, 2021, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          I heard back from Larry and he has published an addition to his original story that mentions Blasphemy Ribs. Now we just need to get that into Raichlen’s site.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a good step mgaretz

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny, my comment on Barbecue Bible still hasn't been approved

I’ve done these several times following mgaretz recipe and they turned out awesome each time!!

Name:	4498D022-4CFC-4CB5-B084-7361F9444E16.jpeg
Views:	526
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	1063914

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Another success, pass a few over to me.

I gotta visit this site more often.

Comment

Wibs. Love them no matter how you cook them. Smoke on!

Comment

Mark's Blasphemy Ribs rock. My family loves them. I've done them with SLC and babybacks, and both turn out great.

Thanks again, mgaretz Mark, for the recipe. I hope you get the credit you deserve.

Kathryn

Comment

I have cooked individual ribs for years, going back to 1974, country-style ribs that are boiled in PBR, no less, and seasoned with Adolf's meat tenderizer.
              Does that count?

Comment

Gotta watch those recipe poachers....

Comment

Hope this resolves well. People who aren't paying attention like to "invent" things and take credit without doing the research.

Comment

Can I just be the negative nabob who says that Rib Wings is the dumbest name in all of BBQ? And it's a high bar to be the dumbest.

Comment

• SmokingPat
                      SmokingPat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll be the second. I was expecting something fancy, like a rack that was half-Frenched and twisted into a pretzel shape or something. 😜

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here