Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Pork and Peaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Pork and Peaches

We need to be talking more about Francis Mallmann's grilled pork and peaches recipe. I recently was inspired by the passing of the late great EdF to try this, and the results got rave reviews by the fam. They proclaimed it the best thing I have ever cooked. 😮 Recipe here.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I seemed to have a limited number of views of that article. Could probably clear cookies/cache and get back in.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Grilled Pork and Peaches: https://i.imgur.com/1Ou61to.png

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, that's the one, Attjack.

Oh no! EdF passed away??

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah. Look for the thread "I miss EdF" for more info.

It looks like it might result in some pretty fatty meat on the plate. Right? Or does the fat render pretty well by the end of the cook?

Kathryn

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I started with the leanest 2 lbs of meat I could find from the butt that I had, and then trimmed all the fat I could. What was left did render very well. The result is a bit steak-like, with a super crunchy crust.

I read in the comments to the article that some folks use other cuts of pork with good success. I think tenderloin would be great for this. There are really no hard and fast rules for this one. The concept is more important.
      Last edited by Steve R.; July 19, 2021, 07:51 AM.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the additional info, Steve.

Kathryn

Yea I hate those NYT food articles. They want you to subscribe, no thanks. That said, can you briefly describe what you did. I love anything to do with cooking pork and something sweet like peaches. Your post leaves me with too many unanswered questions

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      2 lbs of pork butt, pounded out to a uniform 1" or so thickness and liberally seasoned with salt and pepper. Smear all over with a paste made up of olive oil, rosemary and minced garlic. Get a griddle good and hot and grill for about 10 minutes without flipping until you get a nice dark crust, then flip and grill for another 7 minutes or so. Peach halves just go face down with a dab of butter on top until soft and slightly charred.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      OK so basically you're talking pork steaks. Nice, love 'em !!

I used a fresh ham roast cut. I botched the sear step, but loved the flavor from the rub on this cut. It turned out great.

Comment

@Steve R. Jim White Troutman This is a follow-up to my recent inquiry regarding a fresh ham. I need to make a decision tonight. I hear Steve R. that his family thought this (the Frances Mallman peach and pork Plancha) the best meal he ever made, and Jim used fresh ham. Troutman, do you have an opinion on the fresh ham approach?

I have been watching the German Butcher on YouTube, and with my surgical scalpel in hand, am ready to debone and convert into a 1-2" flat cut. Tools available to me include a 12" cast iron pan (too small), a 10" by 20" griddle on our Wolf range, or the flat side of the GrillGrates. Problem with the GrillGrates would be losing the juices into the little holes; advantage would be the intense surface heat possible, plus the smoke ends up outside.

Thanks, all.

Daniel

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the griddle is the way to go, if you have a way to vent all the smoke. You don't want any of that goodness being lost down the holes of the GrillGrates. Mallmann actually recommends a large cast iron pan or two burner griddle.

I vote grill grates.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        But then no peach/pork/fat gravy.......

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here