Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Loin "City Ham" Sandwich Slices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Loin "City Ham" Sandwich Slices

We go through a lot of ham (sandwiches, ham and eggs, omelets, etc). Really don't go much for the water filled, high salt grocery store stuff, so we've been making our ham from pork loin. The loin is the right shape for sandwich slices, no need to deal with bones and cure injection. And we have control over salt and sugar content as well as the "smokiness". So here's a page from our smoking records from the last couple of weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	525
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1060681
    Started with two pieces of trimmed loin of about 1000 grams (2.2pounds) each. Here they are after the two week equilibrium cure.

Name:	cured lion.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1060682

Wrapping tightly in smallest available netting helps make a round(ish) shape

Name:	bagged.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1060683

Smoked with light apple.

Name:	smoking.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1060684

Vacuum bagged for sous vide. Experiment with fennel rub (success), experiment with orange juice (fail).

Name:	bagged fo sv.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1060685

After 6 hour sous vide (150º) and ice water chill

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1060686

Vacuum packaged for freezer. Started with about 5 pounds at $1.99/pound ($10). Yield a little over 3 pounds (~$3.30/pound). Cheapest grocery store sliced ham $8/pound. Boars Head sliced ham $17/pound)

Name:	packaged.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1060687

Great job! They look great.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed write up. Looks like a great success. Where did you get the small netting to hold them in a roundish shape for the smoking?

Comment

Looks wondeful johnec00 . We do something similar. Great to have on hand for a protein to go with "stuff" from the garden. Thanks for posting your version!

Comment

I'm curious about the SV step. Specifically why you did it. I usually smoke to 150-160 when I do loin, so it's done in that sense. Does it add something that plain smoking doesn't?

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          One reason is its easier, set and forget for 6 hours, drop in ice water and done. Aside from that, there's no right and wrong way, before SV, I did smoke till done. That way, though its near impossible to get the middle to 150º without over cooking and drying out the outside unless the smoker temperature is kept too low for too long (in my opinion).

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here