Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Bacon

My attempt at Canadian bacon, which I realize my Canadian friends say doesn't exist, but whatever you call it this is tasty. It’s a combination of a couple of recipes I found and experimented with. Pictures are after bringing both before and after smoking. This is the best result yet.

1 gallon water, divided
    1 cup kosher salt
    1 cup maple syrup
    1/3 cup dark brown sugar
    2 teaspoons Prague Powder #1
    4 bay leaves crushed
    3 medium cloves garlic, smashed
    1 tablespoon black peppercorns
    1 tablespoon pickling spice
    1 boneless pork loin (mine was 5 lbs)

Add all ingredients besides the pork to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let cool to room temperature. Add to remaining water in a container with a cover, large enough to hold pork, and combine. Add pork to brine an weigh down with a couple of small plates if needed. Store in refrigerator for ten days turning daily making sure pork stays covered in the brine. After ten days drain brine, rinse pork in cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Smoke at 225° until internal temperature reaches 140°. Slice to desired thickness and pan fry or grill.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dean154; July 13, 2021, 11:41 AM.

Yep, did this awhile ago, need to make more. It's also really tasty sliced thin and used for sandwich meat..

Comment

Don't forget to coat it in cornmeal.

Comment

Originally posted by smokin fool View Post
        Don't forget to coat it in cornmeal.
        That would be peameal bacon then, correct? I've never had it.

Comment

Nice Dean154 ! A favorite at our house...Yum!

Comment

I thought the recommended amounts of Prague powder was 1 tsp per 5lbs of meat?

Comment

Originally posted by klflowers View Post
              I thought the recommended amounts of Prague powder was 1 tsp per 5lbs of meat?
              This was a combination of two recipes both calling for 2 tsp for 1 gallon of water. That said I did check the calculator on the site and it called for 2.2 tsp so I figured this was ok.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the reply. I am kind of intimidated by Prague powder - I use it and keep some on hand, but I am really really careful

Canadian Bacon (imdb.com)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here