Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5-8 Hours Pulled Pork Jamie Purviance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5-8 Hours Pulled Pork Jamie Purviance

I'm a big fan of Jamie Purviance, and when I saw his 5-8 hour recipe for pulled pork I jumped at it for my first try on Father's Day no less. Winner Winner Pulled Pork Dinner. Weber Performer, Rockwood and FOGO lump, 5# closely trimmed butt, 24 hour dry brine. I had trouble with ash buildup and wavering temps until I got the hang of it, so I had a 4.5 hour cook at an average temp of 347 deg. followed by a 2 hour hold in a turned-off oven--and the result was delicious. Family, including experienced grillers, raved. I expect to have a 3.5 hour or so cook next time. The recipe is here: https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/...lType=Charcoal Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1293.jpeg
Views:	798
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	1049390

that looks really good . Good job

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

The recipe doesn't call for any smoke wood. Did you use any?

Comment

The recipe does not call for any salt, but you dry brined for 24 hours, I presume using kosher salt or equivalent. Was the salt from the dry brining noticeable? Certainly looks like a great recipe to try having the cook time be that short for a butt.

Comment

• fkrall
            fkrall commented
            Editing a comment
            No, the salt was not noticeable. I pulled at 201 and the meat was nicely moist and pulled beautifully.

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack Ah, yes, I see the 1/2 teaspoon for the rub. I thought about salt since his was dry brined, normally that uses more than 1/2 teaspoon. Regardless, fkrall answered my salt concern question. For myself, I would eliminate the salt from the rub if dry brining, but the recipe and process are definitely worth a try.

• fkrall
            fkrall commented
            Editing a comment
            GolfGeezer To assure I didn't mislead, as I dry brined, I omitted salt in the rub. That's my normal routine.

Allowing it to stand 30 minutes before cooking will speed up the cook time, but it will also decrease the amount of smoke it attracts.

Comment

Great comments. I didn't, and never do, let meat stand before grilling. I take it straight from the fridge usually after dry brining it. And yes, I threw hickory chips on the SnS at the start of the cook and the 1 hr + mark when I refreshed the coals. Nothing after that. @ LA Pork Butt , now I know why the recommendation to let it sit for 30'--thanks! (But I'll probably continue to ignore it!)

Comment

Wow, my last butt was 16 hours at 225 and 3 hours in the cambro.
            May have to try the Quick-butt!
            Bark looks a little crispy, was it?

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              For me, it all depends on timing whether I go low and slow or hot and fast.

• fkrall
              fkrall commented
              Editing a comment
              Good eye; yes it was crispy but not offensively so. Relatively small portions by the time I pulled it. My first time with pulled pork, so I don't know the expectation.

Nice looking butt ya got there....
            I've become a proponent hot n fast, not dissing low n slow it has its own place in smoking.
            Been sticking to a 6-8 hour dry brine, outta the fridge, dry rub on and on the grill.
            Happier if I can keep the cook temp in the 300-320 range but I'll live with 350ish.

Comment

But there is so much less time to drink beer while its cooking.....

Comment

• fkrall
                fkrall commented
                Editing a comment
                ...unless you drink it quickly

I did my Father's Day weekend butt at 275, which was several hours faster than at 225. I'll have to try 350 next time, and see how it comes out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here