Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) pizza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) pizza?

Anybody having success making pizza in the pbc? Any advice on how to run the charcoal situation? Remove rods? Crack lid? Get it ripping right?
    Last edited by Jreynolds; April 14, 2021, 12:55 PM.

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I don't have a PBC, so I can't help.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit! Thank you for the support.

I would light the charcoal basket and make sure that the fire is burning hot!

Then take the rods out and keep the lid cracked a little to make sure that you have ample airflow. The PBC is not a great pizza oven, but it will work for that purpose. You want to make sure you wait for the lid to really heat up, so you get some reflective heat coming down on top of the pizza, otherwise the underside of the pizza will be done long before the top is crisped up.

Comment

I’ve not tried pizza on my PBC, but I would assume getting it ripping hot would be a must. Also maybe use a pizza stone so the underside doesn’t burn up before it’s done. I’m curious to see your results!

Comment

Unless you want grilled pizza or maybe a Sicilian/Pan pizza I don’t know how it will work.

I can def see a grilled pizza though. With the top off and rebars out the coals will really heat up and you should be able to do a good grilled pizza on the grate

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Please be sure to take us along on your pizza journey! PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

I have been making pizza in my Weber Kettle for 6 years (literally almost every week over that time). I bought a PizzaQue kettle conversion kit back then. However, they don't seem to be available anymore. This item uses an insert that raises the lid about 6 inches with a band that acts like a wall to hold the heat in. It has a platform that a pizza stone rests on above the level of the coals. I spread coals around one side of stone and I use enough to get the kettle to about 7 or 800 degrees (when it's not very cold or windy). The pizza cooks in about 4 to 5 minutes (I need to turn it one time about half way through). This is the best pizza we have ever had and several friends have said the same thing.

I make a few different pizzas but our favorite is ham, bacon and sausage on mozzarella with a thin layer of sweet bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's), My wife and I add red bell pepper, mushrooms and red onion. We make our own dough (my wife's contribution) but we used to use dough from Von's (not sure what they call the chain in other states). The Von's dough is excellent but we like to make our own.

There is a technique on this website for barbecuing pizza in a kettle that uses bricks stood on end to hold a pizza stone or pan and the lid is left open a crack. Not sure how hot you can get the kettle like this (and I believe the high temp is one of the keys to the perfect crust) without burning the pizza but it may be worth a try.

The purpose of this post is to encourage anyone thinking about trying pizza on the BBQ to go for it. I will post my recipe here later and share some pictures.

Comment

• Mojo0209
                  Mojo0209 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I use KBB with post oak in the kettle with a pizza que, I love how it works. I use a long handled pizza peel to raise up closer to the dome towards the end of the cook to get the cheese and toppings a slight char.

PBC website has a few recipes/techniques for pizza

Comment

Good stuff! Thanks!9

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here