Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building A New Recipe - Short Rib Ragu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building A New Recipe - Short Rib Ragu

I love smoked food (obviously) and I also love great Italian food .... decided to create my own Ragu

Like my Chili, the idea is to take it to a new level by introducing smoke and slow cooked beef to a traditional peasant dish. In this case, a classic Italian Ragu.

I’ve had some great Ragu’s involving slow cooked meat, like wild boar, for example. I decided to try something along those lines, rather than using standard ground beef and pork sausage.

Approach is to smoke something that makes for a great piece of meat standing on its own. I chose beef short ribs. Then combine that with a traditional Ragu that incorporates all that makes for a great Italian dish .... tomatoes, onions, celery, carrot, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil.

Ingredients
    Beef short ribs smoked with red oak for about 3 hours, then deboned and diced up to bite size chunks
    2 stalks celery
    1-2 carrots, peeled
    1 shallot
    4 garlic cloves .... cut up in small pieces, not crushed/minced
    1 tbsp oregano
    1 can (28 oz) stewed tomatoes
    2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes
    1 cup chianti
    3/4 cup olive oil + 2 tbsp

Technique

smoke short ribs for about 3 hours.... get to reasonable probe tender, around 180F internal .... I dry brined, rubbed with granulated garlic and coarse ground pepper, then cooked on the hasty-bake at 250F for 3 hours using lump charcoal and a piece of red oak

saute the onion, celery, carrot until the celery and onion are translucent, about 10 minutes ish
    add the garlic and stir like crazy for 1 minute
    add the oregano and stir in until aromatic
    add the short rib meat and brown until fat begins to render
    deglaze with the wine
    add everything else
    bring to a boil for about 5 minutes
    Cover and simmer until done ... 2 hours, or so
    Add 1 ladle of pasta water once you have cooked the pasta

Serve with some great pasta

I’m currently waiting for it to be done ... the smell from the kitchen is driving me insane. Once I’ve got this one done, will adjust as needed and update

Pictures so far

Click image for larger version

Name:	E389276C-A71B-435D-A0CC-0E674ED1E675.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	830810

Name:	90922BBE-0ED4-4C62-B1A1-07874C117591.jpeg
Views:	375
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	830811

Name:	2D1C8577-9135-47E4-BFEF-BE2FDD7E308F.jpeg
Views:	378
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	830808

Name:	4204641B-67B4-402D-B063-31A1D8661F9D.jpeg
Views:	407
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	830809

Name:	16CE577F-2372-45F8-8541-C4AD18F39249.jpeg
Views:	611
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	830807

Wowsers, that sounds jus Great, an is already lookin Fantastic!

I'll be stayin tuned, Sir!

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Bonesy I think this may be my greatest concoction yet ... Judging by the hounds pacing around the stove

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Greatest thing about this .. it’s cheap. The whole thing, all in, is about $15

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet Deal!
      Yup, I can imagine th magnificent aromas are drawin a crowd, most likely a very impatient one!
      Yer Rockin It!!!!

Been simmering in the pot for about 90 minutes ... tested it .. needs a bit of spice in my opinion, so I added a pinch of red pepper flakes

Name:	A5C2E1B7-049C-4258-A400-3C43F89B41B0.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	830867

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my Gawd I hope you did NOT skim any of that fat!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I left all the fat and oil, just like you should :-)

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I left all the fat and oil, just like you should :-)

That's th way!!!!

That looks amazing. I just ate and now I'm hungry again.

Comment

Jim White ..... I will post final adjustments, pictures, etc.

Comment

Smells great!!

Comment

Ya got my mouth waterin' ...

Comment

I’ve made a short rib ragu that was wonderful, but I did not smoke. That flavor profile would be great, like you did, just a short smoke so only adding to the overall profile.

What kind of pasta? some hand cut papardelle???

I may need to revisit this next weekend, this is looking wonderful!!!!!

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              you should definitely smoke it :-)

The pasta was a papardelle. And I had some other skinny pasta too, so I tossed it in the pot as well. Why not?

At about 3 hours the meat was extremely tender and the flavors well mingled. Put on the pasta to cook. When it was done, I added two ladles of pasta water to the Ragu and stirred it in.

Then served ..... was pretty damn good!

Name:	KEKqLXWeTtOtbQqpYWO5Lg.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	831188

Comment

One thing about this recipe ..... no need to salt at all ... the rub on the short ribs (salt dry brine, pepper, granulated garlic) took care of most of the spice needs and I never needed to add any salt whatsoever.

Comment

Thanks so much. Bookmarked and on my mental list to get to fairly soon.

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  this was fun for sure ..... love to hear how it goes

Had a bowl today for lunch .... even better on the second day!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here