Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deep Fryer Oil Storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep Fryer Oil Storage?

For those of you who own a deep fryer like the Cajun Fryers, how do you store the cooking oil in between cooks? I have the 6 gallon Cajun Fryer but I only use it once or twice per month & I don't want to throw out all of that oil after only one or two cooks.

I've been looking at this 6 gallon storage container by MirOil but I'm not yet convinced that its the most effective or economical solution.
    https://www.amazon.com/MirOil-Dispos...8-1-fkmr0&th=1

I literally just placed an order for it! But it’s cheaper here:

Old fryer oil can affect the taste of your food, and it occasionally needs to be replaced. However, removing your fryer oil can be a dirty, hard, and even dangerous job. Fryer oil transporters make the process simpler by allowing you to drain the oi

Plus they sell oil filtration stuff. And nitrile gloves really cheap!!

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I think the only knocks on it is do not put really hot oil in it bc it’ll ruin the seals. But warm oil is ok!

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip on the better price!

I don't store oil (I don't deep fry) but if I had to store that much I'd be tempted to get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-22SFSC...SIN=B0001MRURI

That's very slightly too small (22qt) but it's much cheaper even with the lid. Let the oil cool in the fryer, pour when warm and pop the lid on.

Also, of course, don't keep it TOO long.

Comment

• kenrobin
      kenrobin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.... that's worth considering.

That's a lot of oil. The fryer I have holds a gallon. When done I filter it and put in the original container. Also I only use oil for 3 cooks at the most.

Comment

Ken. You know I have the same fryer and that exact same container. I keep the oil right in the fryer. After 3-4 months I drain the oil into that container using a really big strainer. Wipe out the bottom of the fryer as best as I can. You know it's a bit of a pain cause we both have rather large hands. And pour the oil right back into the fryer.
      I've had my fryer 3-1/2 years now with no ill effects.
      I do use the MirOil additive every other cook to keep the oil conditioned.
      Oh. Also I only change the oil once a year.
      Last edited by Steve B; February 15, 2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• kenrobin
        kenrobin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Steve.... I imagine many people do the same. I worry about the safety of leaving the oil in the fryer for that long. I didn't know that there is an additive to keep the oil conditioned. I don't even know what that means LOL! I'll have to look into that too.

This is the conditioner I’m talking about. Click image for larger version

Name:	C55D815B-F36D-4F11-98E4-C7D977612DBD.png
Views:	325
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	803266

Comment

I know a lot of people get wigged out about a lot of things. Especially when it comes to food safety.
        And maybe they have a good point.
        I’m just saying to you what I do. And I’ve never had any problems.

Comment

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good to me Steve... thanks for your feedback!

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Anytime brother. 👊👊

I just leave the oil in the fryer. I never have any problems. The oil lasts longer if you are not doing breaded items. I have the same fryer that you and Steve do. I do drain it for the winter months. I use paint filters, then I put it into a 5-Gallon bucket, add the conditioner and then seal it up with the bucket lid. (Make sure it has a gasket)

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty sound advice.
          Seems like we’re on the same page here.

• kenrobin
          kenrobin commented
          Editing a comment
          I like what both you & Steve are saying. Sounds much more economical too.

My most used fryer holds 2 gallons, my big one holds about 5, my in between holds 3 gallons. One is peanut oil, one a lard bacon grease mixture, one tallow. The two bigger ones that have the saturated fats get a rubberized lid snapped on them and stored that way. The smaller one is peanut oil, and since it gets used at least ever week, it stays in the cooker with the lid down. I use all 3 until they smoke at a lower than optimal temp, then drain them into a 5 gallon bucket and drop off at local oil change place to dispose of. No filtering draining or anything like that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here