Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVOO v OO, Kosher Salt v Sea Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVOO v OO, Kosher Salt v Sea Salt

Hey all,

I am a huge fan of Steven Raichlen. Watching his most recent shows has really improved my skills. The production values on his shows are very high and, as anyone who has watched him knows, he uses extremely high quality ingredients. (I mean, at the resorts at which he films, a bottle of Kroger Italian Dressing for a marinade might look a little out of place.)

One of the things I seem him doing is using extra-virgin olive oil over straight olive oil and sea salt over kosher salt, almost exclusively. Now, this may be simply a combination of his personal preferences and the high production values, but I am wondering if anyone on here prefers EVOO and/or sea salt over OO and kosher salt when cooking in your backyard.

EVOO and kosher salt for me.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      I should clarify here. EVOO versus OO but like others, I also use a number of different oils; canola, coconut, peanut, grape seed, etc. Depends on what and how I'm using it. I also use a lot of homemade ghee.

All salt came from the sea at one time. The ACTUAL large particle sea salt kicks some Sodiumistic rear end at the dinner table due to its big size.

Here's what you need to know about table salt, kosher salt, pickling salt, sea salt, seasoned salt, curing salts, and how to use them. Learn also about brines, measuring different salts, and the health aspects of salt.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. At work I finish crunchy tater with thyme and sea salt.

If I am concerned with smoke point I will use a high grade of Olive oil, such as in my wok or some skillet applications, which Raichlen doesn’t do Chinese the last I looked. The salt is a preference on his part. There are different types of salt & harvesting of such. It was mentioned that all salt was sea at one time. I ‘m not totally sure, since there are great salt mines in Michigan & the rock salt called Himalayan is from Pakistan/India & not near the sea. There are also different techniques in harvesting many salts throughout the world that offer different constitutions & tastes. For the cooking he does he uses what works for the type
    of cooking & the types he is familiar with. The more you explore cooking of different cultures you will find many different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by FireMan; September 28, 2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee , it can’t be two points cuz it’s round. Just like there is no up there, just away from & back towards.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan Wasn't the earth entirely covered in sea up there away from and back towards?

For the oils the smoking point matters. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temp...f_cooking_oils . Why I have both on the shelf in addition to peanut and avocado oil.

Comment

In a food where the oil flavor is prominent, I use EVOO or a good oil of the flavor I'm looking for. When using to make a rub adhere, say on a pork butt or ribs for smoking, I use cheap oil. The smoke and rendered fats will overpower/mask any oil flavors so I don't use expensive stuff.

As for salt, kinda same thing: Kosher to dry brine, sea salt on the table.

Comment

Raichlen is a fascinating cook, tape and watch his shows also. EVOO has a higher smoke point than other olive oils as it is purer. Sea salts very widely. There is Maldon in the UK, it comes in a smoked variety also, an excellent one from the French Mediterranean, there is one being recovered in Oregon and every one knows of the pink Himalayan and black Hawaiian.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 28, 2019, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I remembered I had some high-quality EVOO (my sister is a chef and occasionally gifts me stuff). I also picked up some coarse sea salt at the store.

I put the EVOO on some brats. Definitely a more fruiter aroma than the standard olive oil I was using. Also seemed slightly more viscous than the OO (but then I buy the store-brand OO). I doubt it made any difference in the final flavor. The cherrywood smoke was, of course, much more detectable.

The sea salt, while interesting, is perhaps best described as 75% kosher-salt sized grains and 25% smaller ones of various sizes.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I have some that'll make water softener salt tablets jealous.

FireMan

Just a heads up, continents & oceans are constantly moving. They can change massively over time.

For example, there used to be a giant ocean splitting the USA in half.

Pakistan & Tibet used to be ocean front property.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D360EBC4-5066-48AA-84DF-DB59ACD7D8A1.jpeg
Views:	397
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	749039
        Click image for larger version

Name:	8EAC25AD-6BF0-4FB5-A4D5-67B3408E6F78.jpeg
Views:	402
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	749040

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed....I suppose it is correct: all salt does come from the sea!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          My yard is still drying up from those days...

Morton’s kosher salt. That’s all I use these days. At some point I may branch out, but if it ain’t broke...

Comment

Redmond Real Salt for all my cooking. I have fine for bread and rub/brine/seasoned salt construction, and coarse for the table and some dry brine applications. I have some Falk Salt for use as a finishing salt, along with some truffle infused sea salt I picked up in Alba a couple years ago.

Using sea salt is a bit trickier, as it can be less salty than kosher or more salty than kosher based on format. Kosher is tricky too, because many chefs prefer Diamond, which is larger crystal sized than Morton, and therefore less salty per volume measure.

I think Raichlen has a lot of upside, but I think he uses EVOO and Sea Salt just to be fancy, or because all the other TV chefs do.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Red boxed diamond for me too. Damn it! I’m a stereotype.

I was just thinking about this this morning, while making breakfast.

I like the Himalayan salt. I don’t have a culinary reason, I just like that it’s pink. When we were in Chile, there were shops that had many different color salts from different mines. I passed, it was overload. I’d have to buy all or none, and I chose none.

For oils and cooking, it depends on what flavors I am working with. For example, I wouldn’t use olive oil in chili. Or Mexican. I would use bacon grease, or the leftover fat from browning the meat. If I were to use a cooking oil in chili, it would be any neutral oil, or peanut oil. I use EVOO for Italian, obviously, and vegetables, and other savory stuff.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Fine Job, unde rthat duress of Sensory Overload.
            Haveta admit, I'd'a bought em all. Lots. Like, Ship some Home.
            Livin overseaes was some of th best times of my life, an certainly th most educational, an formative...

I use Morton's Kosher for my every day salt. It is pretty much a standard for published recipes including the ones on here. The fancy salt's are considered finishing salts and are added for color or tooth feel. Most are to expensive for daily use in recipes, unless your a chef with your ingredients are paid for.

Comment

We buy the cheapest EVOO we can find and you knwo what? It all tastes the same to me and makes a dern fine Caprese salad! I buy Morton's Kosher and whatever table salt is cheapest for the shakers and the wet brines. But I am not the poster child for the finer things in life. I agree with klflowers, if it ain't broke...

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I think if I laid some things out for you that you could tell the difference between Greek, Italian, Spanish and California EVOO. Don’t sell yourself short.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I’d have to agree on the cook though hard to notice 99% of the time.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey Yeah side by side probably, but when my wife makes garlic sauteed broccoli or Caprese or whatever, it's all good to me!

I have trouble using colored salts because I don't know what is giving it that color other than straight NaCl.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              Generally mineral content that was in the water/soil where the salt was harvested/formed.

Pink has some iron, maybe. Black has some products of volcanic activity.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here