Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No substitute for butter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No substitute for butter

Spotted this new product on the store shelves a few weeks back. It was about the same price as butter so didn't bother. Was on a special this weekend so I grabbed a block.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_170435.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1100814

​

Name:	20210926_170502.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1100815

​
    I will say it is not butter but also add it is not margarine by a long way. I don't do marg and even the smell of some brands turns my stomach.
    The plant "butter" has a salty coconut flavour (mild)..... that's what my palate said after tasting a neat sample.
    It has no real smell out of the wrapper but a pleasant odour when rendering in a pan that I have yet to put my finger on. I used it to make a white sauce for some creamed spinach.
    It did as good a job as butter does, flavour wise (unlike marg that ruins everything). I can detect if marg has been used, don't care what it's been added to, its detectable.
    Too expensive to find a regular place in my fridge but if it was half the price of real butter I would buy it.
    Last edited by holehogg; September 26, 2021, 01:36 PM. Reason: Pics ?

no pics.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Added again. Showing?

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      yep

And a link.

Comment

Yuck, yuch, and more yuck.

Comment

I hope I did not make you upset or something, so you posted this plant based butter.
      Last edited by bbqLuv; September 26, 2021, 06:10 PM.

Comment

I've tried it in bulletproof coffee and liked it. I tasted it on my finger and liked it. I have not cooked with it nor actually spread it on bread though but from a quick taste it seemed like it would be ok on bread.

Comment

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee Is that how we get the expression 'butterfingers?'

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          As someone who has only heard about bulletproof coffee and half tempted to try it, are you still drinking it, if not why, and if so are you still using this "butter"?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Andrrr My wife drinks 'em every day. I do once in a while but not a daily drinker. We use Irish butter (like Kerrygold) & a dab of MCT. I have used the plant butter and it tasted fine, but we use dairy butter typically. My preference for daily drinking coffee is bold dark roast and heavy whipping cream, I prefer the thickness of it vs half & half.

eh. It's nice for vegans or if you want that slight coconut flavor for some reason. Other than that, I don't see a health benefit and I like the flavor of butter. If I wanted coconut flavor (I can see it being nice in some stir fry dishes) I think I'd just use the coconut oil.

Comment

If it adds the same richness of butter, that sounds like a worthy thing to try.

Comment

I looked it up and it is intriguing. I would give it a shot. I know the marketing of it as a vegan product would likely throw some folks for a loop.

I love my butter but I also love my Kingsford charcoal. While seemingly off topic - I remember somebody on the site was selling coconut charcoal. I researched it and it looked like a really nice product for long cooking. I inquired about it but they discontinued membership. if anyone has used the compressed coconut charcoal I would love to hear their review of it. It sounded like it was readily available in Africa - holehogg have you tried it?
            Last edited by tbob4; September 26, 2021, 04:30 PM.

Comment

They call it "butter" but really it is just margarine is it not?

Flora Plant Butter is available in two varieties – Salted and Unsalted. Here are the ingredients for each type. Plant oils (sustainable palm, sunflower, rapeseed), filtered water, sea salt (1,7%), fava bean preparation, plant-based emulsifier (sunflower lecithin), natural flavorings

VS

Margarine is a spread used for flavoring, baking and cooking. It is most often used as a substitute for butter. Although originally made from animal fats, most margarine consumed today is made from vegetable oil. The foodstuff was originally named oleomargarine from Latin for oleum (olive oil) and Greek margarite (pearl indicating luster). The name was later shortened to margarine.

Comment

• Johnny Booth
              Johnny Booth commented
              Editing a comment
              Always looking for the product with the least amount of chemicals and unknowns. I can’t eat any dairy, so butter does not work for me. Although I did love it dearly.

bbqLuv here are the ingredients for the plant butter that I picked up. This is definitely more inclined to butter than it is marg in my opinion. I dislike marg intensely and this did not remind or tadte anything like marg.

Name:	Screenshot_2021-09-27-19-33-14.png
Views:	201
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1101370

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like another form of Margarine to me.
              Hydrogenated fats.

just got to watch out for those veg oils honestly. Most of those ingredients listed I stay far away from myself but, not everyone is like me when It comes to refined oils.

Comment

Studies are showing that seed oils and veg oils are far worse for you than butter. If you do not want to eat butter, don't. Why they feel the need to make things taste like something they don't wanna eat is beyond me. These trends change all the time. If you are gonna go Vegan or Veggie that is cool with me. I just wish people would understand that there are sacrifices that are to be made. If they just made it out of healthy oils, then I might get it.

(Don't even get me started on salt. When we are finding out sugar is far worse for your heart than salt ever was.)

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                DITTO
                You hit the nail on the head.

• Johnny Booth
                Johnny Booth commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. I switched to coconut, olive, pork, chicken, duck and beef tallows when I need fats for cooking. Where that won’t work, I am forced to use some form of artificially flavored, pseudo-butter. After 30+ years living without butter or cheese. I found a happy medium. BTW - fake vegan cheeses? blecccch. 😖

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Animal fats are the best. Tough to neat tallow. Johnny Booth

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here