Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole lamb over a pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole lamb over a pit

Is there a thread here for pit cooking a whole lamb in the 65-80 pound range? I'd like tips on cooking temp, cooking time, any other thoughts. Here's my pit that I will use. Click image for larger version

Name:	Blockhead Pit.png
Views:	207
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	303774

P.S. the lamb will be butterflied, so no rotisserie action here.

Comment

Just saw this from Meathead on disqus: It's good advice.
      Meathead

Gosh, we don't have an article on cooking whole lamb, but here's my take on cooking whole animals: They are always better tasting if you break them down. Even chickens . What's the best cut on the lamb? The rack and loin chops from along the spine. They are not very thick. I cook them to 130-135F, medium rare and I like them with a crispy crust. But the leg and shoulder are HUGE thick hunks and by the time they are cooked the best cuts are well done. And if you leave the rack and loin in there they only brown on one side. When you cook a whole lamb you end up with a mess of overcooked meat. Yes, I know it looks cool, but break it down, brown all the surfaces, get more surface to coat with rub, and cook each section to perfection!
      10:06 p.m., Tuesday April 11 |

Comment

• jherbertjr52
        jherbertjr52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead,I cooked it whole. I placed coals in the four corners, no direct heat under the lamb. I measured pit temp beside the rack and loins. Everything was great, especially the tenderloins. I would slow the pit down to 200-225, and make it even gentler on those good parts.

I have no advice, but I love your pit.

Comment

• jherbertjr52
        jherbertjr52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I built it as a large capacity workhorse. It functions really well.

NICE Pit!!!!!

Comment

• jherbertjr52
        jherbertjr52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I've done very large pigs, up to four briskets, 140 pounds of chicken. Now I'll do this lamb for Easter, just like the Last Supper.

Whole lamb is awesome, both in appearance and taste. I love doing it though haven't in a few years. Got a couple retirements (and an election) to celebrate this spring so I really need to do another soon! I've usually done larger ones (150# +/- live weight) and have only done them on rotisserie setups so not a lot of help with time/temp info, but it's just not that hard to do. Keep your fire modest at best, with more coals under shoulders & rear legs. Your pit looks equipped to flip the lamb over as it cooks so you'll get along fine. There will be some variance in "doneness" when you're finished but there will be those who want their meat more or less done. It's all good! Lottsa choices in rubs but I would have to have salt, pepper and garlic at least. Rosemary is a great addition and a good friend who is of Greek heritage turned me on to adding oregano. I've always "mopped" lamb as it is cooked skinned as opposed to whole hog. Mop sauce usually consists of butter and lemon juice plus the same spices I rubbed with. For more info, you can get lots of hits just Googling "roast whole lamb". It'll be great, and you'll be the hit of all who attend! Have fun!

Comment

That pit is amazing!!! Can you give us a digital tour when your cooking the lamb. We love stuff like this. Man o man, that thing is awesome!!!! I love the counter weights too!

Comment

• jherbertjr52
          jherbertjr52 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. The lid is cantilevered and counter weighted, so it lifts up completely off and away from the pit. There's no piano hinge or anything. Just add enough old used free weights to the bar until the front of the lid is a finger lift, and holds in any position partially open that you might want.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Preparinf for Easter.png
Views:	194
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	305488
        Preparing for Easter . . . the pit is cleaned out, the stretcher is oiled, lump charcoal and hardwood is ready, with cherry wood, too. The lamb is 81 pounds hot weight, dry brined tonight in Dolly's rub and kosher salt. Cooking begins Easter morning at 08:30 after Sunrise Service.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Bless you!

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          So awesome, please keep the pics coming!

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a great day ahead. Enjoy!

Name:	Starting the morning.png
Views:	200
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	306174
        fire readiness accelerator by Stihl. Got the lamb onto heat at 8:40am.

Comment

Name:	First and Final flips.png
Views:	199
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	306179
          First flip after three hours with heat between 250 and 275. inside leg temp already 115, much faster than expected. Gently made the final flip for presentation after four hours, inside leg temp nearly 130. Kept the top up after that with temp on the stretcher at 200 or less. This put me more than 90 minutes ahead of schedule, so it was a holding pattern until serving time. Basically, 81 pound ready in 4.5 hours. No sugar in the rub, no sugar in the mop sauce. Nice and bright flavor and finish. I used Dolly's Rub spice blend with white vinegar, water, beer, and Worcestershire much like Owensboro Mutton Mop. No sugar in the rub, no sugar in the mop sauce. Nice and bright flavor and finish.

Comment

• troymeister
            troymeister commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow.....Beautiful...Your pit is amazing..I really like the counterweight barbell system.

• HorseDoctor
            HorseDoctor commented
            Editing a comment
            I can almost smell it, and wish I could taste it! Looks like a success! Congrats!

Name:	serving up.png
Views:	199
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	306474
          Don't forget the sides, in this case all Mediterranean salads, roasted vegetables, roasted eggplant, couscous, hummus, goat cheese with honey and dates. Everyone saved room for the lamb, it was very moist, tender, mild smoky flavor with some snap on the outsides from the rub and mop. Very successful, thanks to everyone for the tips. Take-away lesson, lamb cooks faster than I thought it would.

Comment

That is some seriously cool cooking. You are a seriously cool cook!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here