Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuffed and Smoked Rainbow Trout (with added Bonus!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuffed and Smoked Rainbow Trout (with added Bonus!)

My local Costco always carries these farm raised rainbow trout so we tend to enjoy them regularly. Not quite as good as the local saltwater Bay variety, but sometimes you gotta go catchin' instead of just fishin' .

Our go to is to stuff them with a crabmeat and breaded stuffing in their gut cavity and smoke them. I rub them down with lemon, EVOO then season with Tony C's and dried dill. I ran my 26" up to about 300*F with my Pit Viper and threw in a couple of chunks of cherry wood. After about 30 minutes these gorgeous babies emerged. Love the color cherry smoke puts on proteins !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	stuffed trout 01.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	983962Click image for larger version

Name:	stuffed trout 02.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	983963

And now for the bonus cook. Shoutout to Panhead John, yes you John, for your idea of using boudin in lieu of rice and ground beef for stuffing peppers. You get both ingredients plus the bonus of all that Cajun seasoning. I took that ingredient and went several notches higher. Here's the recipe, give these a try. They were really good for something I just whipped up, I may actually make them more often.

The Panhead John-Troutman Collaborative Stuffed Peppers

Course. Lunch or Dinner. Side Dish.
    Cuisine. American
    Makes. 4 to 6 servings
    Takes. 30-45 minutes prep and 20 minutes cooking time

Ingredients

3 Large Poblano Peppers sliced in half and de-seeded
    12 ounces or 2 Boudin sausage links. Recommend Zummo's regular, smoked or hot. Remove casing
    12 ounces Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast Sausage
    1/3 to 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
    2 green onions finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic minced
    2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
    2 tablespoons Wishbone Italian Dressing
    3 tablespoons dry white wine like Sauvignon Blanc
    1 tablespoon of Lea & Perrins
    1 tablespoon Tony C's seasoning
    1/2 tablespoon black pepper

10 or so ounces of queso Oaxaca (or Mozzarella) shredded for garnish
    EVOO for final drizzle.

Directions

1. After slicing and cleaning your peppers, lay them out on a cooking tray.
    2. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients (except the bread crumbs) and mix thoroughly. Be sure to combine the sausage and boudin well since the sausage is a bit on the sticky side.
    3. Add the wet ingredients and continue to work the mixture. It should be a little bit wet.
    4. Add bread crumbs until the mixture begins to firm up and hold together.
    5. Press your stuffing into each of the pepper halves. It should easily mold into the peppers without falling apart.
    6. Dress the outside with the shredded cheese and drizzle a little EVOO over the top to promote browning.
    7. Your peppers are ready and should look about like this...

Name:	stuff pepp 01.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	983964

8. Since my kettle was already setup after the fish cook, I slipped these in for an additional 20 minutes at 300*F. If starting from scratch fire up you kettle or pellet grill to that temperature. The added cherry wood smoke really helped put these over the top. Of course indoors in an oven would work as well.
    9. Once the stuffing reaches about 140*F and the peppers are softened they are ready to serve. Enjoy your peppers !!!

Name:	stuff pepp 02.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	983965Click image for larger version

Name:	stuff pepp 03.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	983966

Since COVID is still lurking around the corner, I won't say Troutman is outta here, I'm just out !!!!

They do look very tasty. Thanx!

Comment

Thanks for the shout out Troutman ! Great job on the write up and the use of poblanos! I’m definitely gonna try those next time, as well as putting them on the grill. The use of boudin and spicy pork sausage is definitely superior to hamburger meat IMO. Those fish look killer also. Well done!
      Last edited by Panhead John; February 2, 2021, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Outstanding fish! Peppers are a great side, but the fish is for my dreams.

Comment

Beautiful trout. Where do you get the crab meat? Do you use fresh or canned?

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Buy it fresh lump in the grocery seafood department

Very nice cook as always. I’m a big fan of trout, been fly fishing them for years.

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven’t fly fished in years. Really enjoyed it. Being a Bay fisherman our gear tends to be a bit more robust.

This was a great recipie and a very nice writeup..
          Thanks!

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Elton have you seen the Netflix series called Lilyhammer? It’s like the Sapranos meets Fargo !!

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahhh yeah Lillehammer.. Cool series indeed..

Troutman that is some FINE eatin' right there!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here