Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King’s Fish House BBQ Shrimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the shrimp I made and have a picture of in SUWYC. I got this recipe from a friend several years ago and make them every so often. They're always a hit when I make them and the sauce is excellent. This comes from LA Times for King's Fish House in Calabasas. I am guessing some of you may have been there, but I never have.

Seafood

Prep Time: 45 mins Difficulty: Medium Servings: 4 Source: Latimes.com
    INGREDIENTS

10 to 12 large shrimp
    1/4 cup Barbecue Spice
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons chopped garlic
    1 1/2 ounces Sherry
    1 1/2 ounces apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup tomato juice
    1 plum tomato, chopped
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    3 tablespoons chopped green onions
    2 tablespoons Herb Butter
    2 (6-inch pieces) sourdough baguette, cut in half

BARBECUE SPICE:

2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/8 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

HERB BUTTER:

1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
    1/2 teaspoon fresh tarragon

DIRECTIONS

Combine the shrimp and Barbecue Spice in a resealable plastic bag or bowl and set aside to marinate for a couple of minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the garlic and shrimp. Toss quickly to cook evenly. When the shrimp are just beginning to turn pink, about 2 minutes, add the Sherry and apple cider vinegar and cook, scraping up the brown bits. (Use caution as there may be a flare-up.) Add the tomato juice and reduce slightly. Add the lemon juice, chopped tomato and green onions and toss. Remove from the heat and add the Herb Butter, swirling it into the sauce. Serve the bread alongside for dipping.

Note: may want to remove shrimp while reducing so they don't overcook.

BARBECUE SPICE
    Combine the salt, paprika, thyme, allspice, white pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and mustard in a small bowl. This will keep indefinitely in a small, tightly sealed container. Makes 1 cup.

HERB BUTTER
    Grind the butter, parsley, thyme and tarragon in a food processor and set aside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5AE5373F-EDEF-4AC9-9D46-FC9597C2D6C6.jpeg
Views:	780
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	1176326
    Last edited by tamidw; February 17, 2022, 12:25 AM. Reason: Adding shrimp photo at Panhead’s request.

Thank you! I’m going to get this on the table this week!

Comment

Delete

Comment

Saw this before the SUWYC post. Went over & checked it out. This definitely on my must do list. Serving for 4? Who you kidding. That’s a meal fer one or two. I’ll let you know how it stretches.

Comment

• tamidw
          tamidw commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha! It only served two of us.

Had some shrimp last night. Shrimp and Pizza forever, course never had Shrimp Pizza.

Comment

• SmokingSteve
          SmokingSteve commented
          Editing a comment
          Shrimp pizza is good!

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          I realize I'm a little late here, but shrimp, pepperoni, and black olive used to be one of my favorites.

Thank you tamidw. Loaded in Paprika. Will be doing this in the not to distant future.

Comment

Added to my Paprika. Thanks!

Comment

Got to agree with these guys on the shrimps. On the list.

Comment

Thanks for posting, sure looked good on SUWYC. Just wondering why you have to dump the entire seasoning pantry onto the shrimp, seems a bit overkill. I may try a simplified version regardless, thanks again for posting 👍

Comment

• tamidw
                tamidw commented
                Editing a comment
                Not quite sure. I would think a simpler version of the seasoning would work for sure. I made the seasoning as is and used what was needed for the shrimp, them stored the rest. I've used it on a couple other things and it's good. I am guessing many of us probably already have something similar in all the different rubs we have anyways!

I just realized one thing not in recipe is I took shrimp out of sauce while reducing so I didn't overcook them.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                NOW you tell us!

just kidding....

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Can you add that photo of the shrimp in the pan that you posted on SUWYC to your recipe? In case someone missed it. That pic is too beautiful not to post here also….
                Last edited by Panhead John; February 16, 2022, 07:01 PM.

• tamidw
                tamidw commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John done!

I’m going to make this tonight, or a version. And like you mentioned above, I just grabbed a rub I have in the pantry, using Holy Voodoo from Meat Church. Excited to have this with some rice and a salad of some sort. Thanks again for sharing!

Comment

Adding this deliciousness to my "important " list. Thanks for posting .

Comment

I’ve been to Kings several times, but never had this dish. Seen it… never tried it.

Comment

I'm going to give this a try, but for the spice on the shrimp I have something much simpler and have done this with most shrimp dishes I do. I marinate the shrimp in 1/4 cup EVOO, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper and 1/2 tsp Chipotle pepper for 1 hour. Then remove the shrimp from the marinade and cook with some sautéed shallots or onions.

Comment

Once again I find myself being a family of four. LOL
                      Gonna need to try this soon…and up the contents.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here