Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick & Easy Weekday Meals - Smoked Salmon Florentine Over Pasta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick & Easy Weekday Meals - Smoked Salmon Florentine Over Pasta

Although I'd like to say that every meal we create in our house is a culinary masterpiece, nothing could be further from the truth in the Troutman abode. In fact it's often a struggle to get a hot, fresh meal on the table with divergent schedules and no one with the time to sit down to enjoy it. That said, we're making it a conscience decision this winter to find meals that can be made quickly and easily, yet contain a balance of proteins, carbs and fresh veggies. Thus we're making this the start of the Quick & Easy Weekday Meals series that highlights whatever it is we create and share. Most of these can be made in less than one hour or as little as 30 minutes.

First up is one I've actually made on several occasions, Salmon Florentine. The salmon can be cooked in a number of ways; smoked, grilled, pan fired, oven baked or poached. For this recipe we chose smoked, other methods may certainly help reduce your over all cooking time even further. In this case, I was going for the big, bold flavor that a kiss of smoke puts on salmon.

This basic meal can also be paired with a variety of pastas (I chose spaghetti here), egg noodles or even rice. So not only is this a quick and easy recipe, it's a versatile one as well. But don't let the ease of cooking fool you, the flavor profiles are dynamite and one you will agree is worthy of being added to your weekday lineup!

Click image for larger version

Name:	salmon flor 05.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1160477

Smoked Salmon Florentine Over Pasta

Course. Lunch or Dinner.
    Cuisine. American
    Makes. 4 to 5 servings
    Takes. Stew: 30 minutes’ prep and 30 minutes’ combined cooking time.

Ingredients

3-4 salmon filets (5-6 ounces each)
    2 tablespoons butter
    Medium onion chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves minced
    1/4 cup cherry tomatoes halved
    1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons capers
    2-3 cups fresh spinach leaves
    1 cup whipping cream or half & half
    1/4 cup white wine
    12 ounces cooked pasta
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Directions

Begin by taking a whole filet of salmon and carve it into approximately 2 inch strips that are about 5-6 ounces each, or individual portions. Along side the filets, cook the odd narrow ends and enjoy later on a salad or in a sandwich.

Next, choose a method by which you will cook your salmon. I chose smoked, so I fired up my kettle with a two zone setup with about half a chimney of lite coals and a couple of chunks of apple wood (or other fruitwood like cherry). I left the vents wide open to encourage a hot oven affect and smoked the fish until they reached about 130*F internal (approximately 15-20 minutes). Once cooked I placed them in a warm oven while I finished making the sauce and pasta. Carry over should take them to about 135*F. Do not cook any further and risk drying out your fish. Nothing is worse then taking a juicy and delicate cut of seafood and turning it into dry, sticky sawdust!

Name:	salmon flor 01.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	1160478

While the salmon is smoking put a pot of water for the pasta to boil. Also place the cream in a small pot over a low flame to gently warm it up for the sauce. For the sauce, take a large skillet and begin by sautéing the onion in butter until they are golden brown, then add the capers and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste in this first and all subsequent layers. Begin to build your flavor profiles in steps rather than all at once. When the garlic is fragrant and all ingredients are combined, deglaze the pan with the white wine.

Name:	salmon flor 02.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1160479

Continue cooking until all of the alcohol has cooked off and the wine has reduced substantially, 4 to 5 minutes. Next add your spinach leaves and continue to cook those all the way down until they are completely soft and reduced, 6 to 7 additional minutes.

Name:	salmon flor 03.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1160480

When the spinach is completely cooked down add the tomato halves. I do not like to cook the tomatoes very long, they tend to get mushy and fall apart, so maybe another 2 minutes or until softened but still a little firm. Next add the warmed cream and stir checking once again for salt and pepper seasoning. Cook the sauce down an additional 2-3 minutes or until it's slightly thickened.

Name:	salmon flor 04.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1160481

At this point add the parmesan cheese and stir in to thoroughly combine. The sauce should remain thin, if too thick add some additional cream. Lower the fire to a low simmer. By this time the salmon should be done. Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook for the prescribed amount of time, approximately 6-8 minutes.

To assemble and serve, lay down a few ounces of the pasta and cover with a small amount of the sauce. Lay a filet of the smoked salmon on top and cover that with a few additional ounces of sauce. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese as a garnish and serve.

Name:	salmon flor 06.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1160482

Hope you give this quick and easy recipe a try. As stated, it's not very difficult but ends up somewhat elegant and delicious none-the-less. Until next time when I whip out my wok for yet another offering, Troutman is out !!!!

Nice work!

Comment

You Done Good. PBR good.

Comment

Looks delicious, got me droolin (worse than normal), an loves me some easy meals, an smoked salmon!

Nicely Done, Brother!

Comment

Looks great! Will add to menu!

Comment

want to try

Comment

That looks great, nice job!! We do something very similar but put a couple different proteins like shrimp and some smoked sausage on the side. This way my daughter can have just pasta and sauce, wife gets the shrimp and son gets everything left...HA!!

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Try it with chicken breasts or thighs as well. Makes for a great weekday meal !!

Looks like something I need to try. Thanks

Comment

Cooked this tonight. Really good, simple, tasty recipe. Family approved at my house anyway. It’s a keeper.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here