Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Tuna Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Tuna Steaks

A fresh and beautiful tuna loin deserves to be treated right: Kissed with heat on each side, then whisked away before the center can overcook and dry out. That's because tuna is an extremely lean fish. One of the best ways to cook tuna steaks is over the high heat of the grill, which slaps a flavorful sear on the fish in no time.

Note: Using thick tuna steaks makes it easy to leave the center rare.

Serves 4.
    • 4 tuna steaks, about 6 to 8 ounces (170 to 225g) each and 1 1/4 to 2 inches thick
    • Vegetable, canola, or other neutral oil, for oiling the steaks
    • Kosher salt
    • Freshly ground black pepper
    Light FULL chimney of coals (if cooking with gas, set as high heat). Preheat for 5 minutes.

Dry tuna steaks well with paper towels and lightly brush them all over with oil.

Just before cooking, season tuna steaks all over with salt and, if desired, pepper. Then set over hot side of grill. Cook tuna until first side is well-seared and the fish releases from the grill grate, 1 to 2 minutes. If the fish sticks, try to gently lift it from below using a thin metal spatula or the tines of a carving fork inserted down between the grill grates. Turn fish and repeat on second side.

For an ideal doneness of rare, cook the fish long enough to sear each side, and no longer. You should be able to watch the heat penetrate the fish from each side because tuna changes color so dramatically, from a deep purple when raw to a beige when cooked. Use the side of the fish to gauge doneness: if you want it very rare in the center, the sides of the steaks should still look purple, with the color of the cooked fish just starting to creep in from above and below. If you want it a little more done, let the cooked color creep up a bit more from both sides. We don't recommend cooking tuna steaks beyond medium-rare.

Source: Serious Eats https://www.seriouseats.com/grilled-tuna-steaks

I love grilled tuna, but can't make myself use a full chimney of charcoal for something that cooks in four minutes, so I typically do this in cast iron.

(Sounds like a good reason to pick up a Smokey Joe for myself, now that I think about it!)

I also like using a good cajun seasoning, which crusts up well. Marinating the tuna in soy sauce and olive + sesame oil tastes great, too.

Comment

I love grilled tuna, but can't make myself use a full chimney of charcoal for something that cooks in four minutes, so I typically do this in cast iron.
      Thanks for the suggestion. I agree - full chimney is a hard choice for how briefly these steaks are on the grill. Thanks for the suggestion on marinating and seasoning.

It was challenging to find any recipes for the grill. We found my first attempt at it to be tasty - looking forward to a 2nd attempt incorporating some of Michael_in_TX suggestions....

Comment

For more crust and seasoning, try rubbing the tuna steak with everything bagel spice before grilling. I use my Smokey Mountain with the barrel removed. This way I can cook the steaks about 1-2” above the coals.

Everything bagel contains sesame seeds, sea salt, minced garlic, onion and poppy seeds.
        Last edited by Cachecropp; February 13, 2022, 10:10 AM.

Comment

That reminds me to add more fish to our diet.
          Thanks for the post. But no rare fish for us, Light pink to white center, still flaky and moist.

Last edited by bbqLuv; February 13, 2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

A quick side sauce for this: Combine Soy Sauce, Hoisin, a dash of fish oil and a dash of garlic. Combine and let is sit. Then reduce and serve on the side.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here