Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scandinavian Lefse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scandinavian Lefse

Ingredients
    15 pounds of russet potatoes
    2 cups heavy cream
    2 cups unsalted butter
    4 tablespoons sugar
    4 tablespoons salt
    9 cups of all purpose flour
    Friends to give this stuff away to so you don’t have to eat it all

Method

Peel and cube the potatoes

Cover potatoes with water in a large stockpot and boil for 8-12 minutes until fork tender

Allow potatoes to cool to room temperature in an even layer allowing as much evaporation of moisture as possible

Rice the potatoes

Combine the riced potatoes with the cream, butter, sugar, and salt

Rest in the fridge overnight

Add 9 cups of flour and mix well

Rest dough to allow flour to absorb moisture

Form 150 g balls of dough and place on baking sheets

Roll each ball out to 14“ on a pastry board

Grill each side

Place each round between damp kitchen towels and allow to cool

Place in plastic bags

This is one of my favorite things to make around the holidays.

Attached Files

Looks like Christmas at our house! My wife's Norwegian grandmother gave her a similar recipe except that it uses potato flakes rather than whole potatoes. Tastes the same ...

Comment

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Having grown up on a potato farm all I can say about flaked potatoes is: uffdah. 😂

Nice! One of my fondest memories is coming downstairs at about 2 AM to find my wife, her 96 year old mother, and our daughter in the kitchen making piles of lefse and krumkake. They were laughing and enjoying themselves so much I just turned around and went back up without disturbing them.

Comment

Uff da! ya sure ya betcha. that's how grandma made it. looks delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here