Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Thanksgiving Tradition Lime Green Jello Salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Thanksgiving Tradition Lime Green Jello Salad

My GrandMother ALWAYS without fail had a bowl of what the local farm ladies called Aspic for Thanksgiving Dinner.
    I never learned to make it from her which is surprising as I was raised by her and my Father and she included me in helping prep nearly every meal.
    I recently stumbled onto this recipe, and plan to try it this Thanksgiving to see if it is in fact close to what she made.
    The recipe and ingredients sound a little strange, and it is definitely '50's side dish but as I remember it everything came together really well and provided a tsunami of flavor and textures. Walnuts and Celery for crunch, this recipe doesn't call for the celery but I do plan to add it finely chopped as I remember it providing a nice texture.
    It will be interesting to see if childhood memories are accurate. I remember liking it but not LOVING it. It was kind of one of those things of there it is I have to give it a try because it IS Thanksgiving.
    Sweet, sour, crunchy, and soft. It pretty much hits all the textures and the flavor is actually surprisingly good in my memories.
    https://homecookingmemories.com/lime...ese-pineapple/
    Last edited by Debra; November 14, 2021, 08:27 AM.

I definitely ate this Jello Salad growing up as did my Wife with her Family. I'm sure many of us Midwestern raised people had this on several Holidays and Special Occasions. A few times per year I ask my Wife to make Lime Jello with Pears which is no match for the recipe you posted Debra. Happy Holidays Debra enjoy your Jello Salad.

Comment

I've had that a couple of times, but pistachio salad (aka Watergate salad) has been the real mainstay since I was a kid.

Comment

We used to call it the Mean Green Jello in our house. But Mom always used Cool Whip instead of cottage cheese. I love that stuff. Made it a few times for my family and they gave it a meh. I keep telling them they are nuts but leaves more for me !! Thanks for the memory !!

Comment

A Holiday staple, on th table...

Comment

I remember various jellos layered with cool whip and the drained fruit from canned fruit cocktail. Debra I, too, am a Midwestern girl!

Now I had to trip down memory lane….recipes saved my my grandma and aunties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8EAC683-4B97-4DB6-A7F0-3B604D4A062D.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1125898

Name:	BDC41E69-8C28-4051-9029-A884F7E97D6A.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1125899

Name:	68FA2254-2F6B-43EE-8518-09ABC2B56A3A.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1125900

Name:	1D8CC866-81E0-4233-82D5-06B3B803A51E.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1125901
            Last edited by SheilaAnn; November 14, 2021, 12:12 PM. Reason: Added pics

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Debra I would be down for that. Actually, I am VP of my culinary historians club here is Southern California. I could really go down a rabbit hole with all this.

Huskee Spinaker thoughts?

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Fergot crushed or tidbit pineapple, an shredded coconut...

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I love that idea! Let me check to make sure we do not already have one. SheilaAnn

This is a fun post. Did anyone's Mom put slivered carrots in orange Jello? I think we had chopped cabbage in Jello too...not positive on that one.

Comment

• Debra
              Debra commented
              Editing a comment
              I ABSOLUTELY remember slivered carrots in orange jello. I loved it.

Here’s our version :-)

Green Salad - Holiday

1 pckg lime jello
            1/2 cup chopped celery
            1 cup diced pineapple
            1/2 cup walnuts
            1/2 mashed up avocado
            1 cup cool whip

Prepare the lime jello per directions on box. Refrigerate until set. Mix the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              To make it very 1970’s, everything is from a can and/or cool whip. None of this fancy, modern, artisanal, fresh stuff.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              My Version
              LINK

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya got me to click Mr. Bones ….. pretty funny

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here