Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked peaches with Cointreau and roasted hazelnuts (Offset smoker dessert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58limited
    replied
    Looks great! I've never smoked the peaches, just grilled fresh peaches then served with a bourbon/honey/butter/cinnamon sauce and ice cream. The hazelnuts are a nice touch, I'll give it a go.

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, Henrik . I'll give it a try.

K.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    ...and for those that aren't too fond of Cointreau, try Amaretto (almond liqueur) instead. Works well too.

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    You betcha!

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Nice! I'm sure it's gonna be a hit!

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Well, I serve mine with vanilla ice cream, and that works very well with the fruit, so can't see that it would be an issue. If you do use vanilla peaches, then I would not add any other sugar or sweetener (except for what's already in the recipe). I have drizzled these with a bit of honey before but it would be too much in this case.

• Troutman
    replied
    Yummy

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I'm glad you redid this recipe, since I didn't have the Paprika app back in 2014.

I've got some canned vanilla peaches that I'd like to try with this recipe. Or do you think the vanilla will fight with the orange? Maybe?

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Thanks - I hope to be able to try this when our son brings his GF here Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• mcook2201
    replied
    Sounds wonderful, will add this to the rotation. Thks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Smoked peaches with Cointreau and roasted hazelnuts (Offset smoker dessert)

Ok folks, this is a new take on an old recipe I posted way back in 2015, when the Pit was young

Anyhow, I'm glad I did, partly because I wanted to record it for YT, and also because this dessert is a winner. It's soo tasty, and the combination of smoked peach, oranges, orange liqueur and the texture and flavor of roasted hazelnuts with ice cream is a big hit.

AND: It's done in the offset smoker. What's not to like?

Last time I grilled the peaches (or nectarines), now I upped it a bit by instead smoking them, and at the same time roasting the hazelnuts. The offset smoker is such a versatile cooking device!

Serves: 2

Cook time: 20-25 minutes

Ingredients

4 canned peach or nectarine halves
    A handful of whole hazelnuts
    4 tbsp Cointreau
    4 scoops of vanilla ice cream
    1 orange

Instructions

Place the peach or nectarine halves with the flat side up on a tray. If you want to you can cut them just a bit flat on the round side so they stay put on the tray. Use a tray with a low edge/rim so the smoke hits the fruit. Pour plenty of Cointreau in each peach half, where the pit used to be. Don't skimp, add liberal amounts.

Place the hazelnuts on the same tray, evenly spread out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	smoked-peaches-1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	1121362

Fire up your offset smoker and run it at 150° C / 300° F. Except for the usual oak wood I also used oak bark to boost the smoke a little more, since this is a short cook.

Place the tray in the smoker and hit it with some good smoke flavor.

Name:	smoked-peaches-2.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1121364

Check the peaches and the hazelnuts, they should be done in 20 minutes. You want the peaches/nectarines to get properly warmed up, and to absorb some smoke flavor. You can see that they get dark brown on the outer edge (see photo below), this is the smoke.

Name:	smoked-peaches-3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	1121363

Now serve in bowls with a few ice cream scoops in each. Move the peaches/nectarines over from the smoker to the serving bowls, gently. You don't want to spill :-)

Filét the orange (peel it with a knife and cut out the wedges with no white meat) and add a few wedges to each bowl, together with the roasted hazelnuts. The orange wedges compliment the orange liqueur in a nice way. Now enjoy!

Name:	smoked-peaches-5.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1121361

Alright, Hank is out!!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here