Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Immersion blender mayonnaise recipe from Serious Eats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immersion blender mayonnaise recipe from Serious Eats

Well hell, this is ridiculously easy… it’s easier than buying mayonnaise actually. I am absolutely certain that many folks here make their own mayo. But if you don’t, this will change you over. The title says “two minute”, but the first minute and a half is getting everything out and measuring the oil and Dijon. You do need an immersion blender, but you should have one anyhow. A cheap one is fine.

Tips:

1) Double the recipe makes just over a pint jar.
    2) Don’t wast your time measuring the lemon juice, every time I measured it, half a lemon was almost exactly a tablespoon.
    3) Instead of adding kosher salt to taste at the end, add 1/2 teaspoon of table salt at the beginning. It mixes in better that way. That will be plenty salty enough.

The taste is much closer to Kewpie’s than it is to Duke’s/Hellman’s/Kraft. I was going to say it’s a dead ringer for Kewpie’s, but I don’t have any Kewpie’s on hand to compare.

Two-Minute Mayonnaise

Sauces
    Prep Time: 2 mins | Cook Time: 2 mins | Servings: 8 servings

Ingredients:
    1 large egg
    1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice (from 1/2 a lemon)
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 medium clove garlic, minced (I left out the garlic, you can always add garlic to anything)
    1 cup (240ml) vegetable or canola oil
    Kosher salt

Directions:
    Place egg, lemon juice, and mustard in the bottom of cup or jar that just fits the head of your immersion blender. The egg/lemon juice mixture must reach the blades for this to work (see note). If the mixture does not reach the blades, double the recipe before attempting.
    Add garlic, if using. Pour oil on top and allow to settle for 15 seconds. Place head of immersion blender at bottom of cup and turn it on high speed. Do not pulse or move the head. As mayonnaise forms, slowly tilt and lift the head of the immersion blender until all oil is emulsified. Season mayonnaise to taste with salt. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Notes:
    It is imperative that the jar you use be just slightly larger than the head of the immersion blender, and the egg/lemon mixture must be in contact with the blades of the blender before you switch it on for this to work. The head of the blender must be firmly planted against the bottom of the jar until the mayonnaise starts to come together. If you can't find a jar the right size, double the recipe in order to increase the starting volume of the egg/lemon mixture.
    If your mayonnaise is watery, that means it has not emulsified properly. Let the mixture settle and separate, then try blending again.

Nutrition:
    (per serving)
    251 Calories 28g Fat 0g Carbs 1g Protein
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings: 8
    Amount per serving
    Calories 251
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 28g 36%
    Saturated Fat 2g 11%
    Cholesterol 23mg 8%
    Sodium 66mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Total Sugars 0g
    Protein 1g
    Vitamin C 0mg 2%
    Calcium 5mg 0%
    Iron 0mg 1%
    Potassium 13mg 0%
    *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.

Source: https://www.seriouseats.com/two-minute-mayonnaise

Come on! If it’s homemade it’s aioli!!!!!!!!

yes, this is my go to recipe as well! It’s great! Add some sriracha for that spicy aioli 😂 and the note on the “how to” with being on the bottom is key…I may have jacked that up once!

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      The hardest part is getting stuff out of the cabinets, amirite? Put the ingredients in a jar, put the head of the blender on the bottom of the jar and hold it there for 15 seconds. Voila!

My mom used to make it with the drizzling oil in a regular blender. When I used to try that, I was about 50/50 on it emulsifying or not. But this just whips right up, as long as you don’t lift the head of the blender until it turns white; then you can move it around to get all the edges.

I've looked at this before, but never got around to doing it. Any idea on the serving size?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      It makes a little over a cup, so 8 or 9 1oz servings I guess.

I've been doing this for years now. It's the best.

Comment

I’ve tried similar recipes, mine was a dud. I suspect I used the wrong oil, extra virgin olive. The mayo/aioli came out burnt tasting.

Having said that, I might have to try again, wondering what avacado oil might do?🤔🤔

Comment

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Histrix for explaining.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        What Histrix said for sure. BUT in defense of olive oil, I have used a few tablespoons of lemon infused olive oil in addition to my neutral oil (grapeseed or peanut). It was fantastic.

• Rob whatever
        Rob whatever commented
        Editing a comment
        For EVOO, I would use a wooden spoon and not a whisk to avoid the bitter taste.

How does this and Kewpies differ from say Duke's/Hellmans/Burmans et al?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Glory Do you have Aldi near you? My wife gave me a blind taste test of a couple mayos we had and I picked Aldi's brand, which is Burman's. Great stuff.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee unfortunately no Aldis. No HEB or Costco either. The Northeast stinks...lol.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Barbara has started to use Burman's recently. Tastes like Hellmann's to us.

I haven’t been, but have been wanting to tackle more of this, sounds like I will need to start now, thank you for the share. Then to take this and make your Bama white sauce.…

Comment

I have had this bookmarked for a while now. Glad to hear it’s a success. I have always used a recipe from a book called A Taste of the Gulf Coast by Jessie Tirsch (she collaborated with emeril on a few things). Fun recipes and stories. But I digress… I also processed in my small food processor. Next time is this recipe for sure! Thanks Mosca

Comment

I've made hollandaise sauce using Kenji's immersion blender method from Serious Eats but have yet to try mayo. I'll get to that one of these days.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a good one as well.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            The mayo is even easier than the hollandaise or bearnaise sauces, which are both good also.

On the video he Separated the egg. Foes it matter?

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha! I didn’t watch the video! No,I just dumped everything in and blended it.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            The recipe in his book uses 2 yolks instead of 1 whole egg. I prefer the whole egg one.

I used to absolutely HATE mayo. The slightest hint of mayonnaise flavor was enough to make me pitch an entire burger. It was The Grossest Thing Ever Except Ketchup. Up until a few years ago, when I made this to make a batch of Alabama white sauce. Of course it needed to be tased for seasoning, a task I cannot foist off on my wife, who was also a mayo hater.

So I girded my loins, did the death rites of my People, kissed my wife, hugged the cat, and generally got my affairs in order.

And, after a couple slugs of Liquid Courage, I tasted the disgusting white glop.

Wait... WHAT!? This does not taste like the mayo of my childhood. This is not Satan's Spew. This is... Good?

So I am confused and conflicted. I am questioning various life choices. I am, basically, having a culinary mid-life crisis.

So I thought, and I thunk, and pondered, and cogitated, reflected and meditated on the matter. And then Enlightenment hit:

All throughout my childhood I had been lied to. What was presented to me as mayo was not, in fact mayo. It was the crime against humanity known as Miracle Whip. How the heck people in the 70's decided that highly proceed, artificially flavored hydrogenated vegetable oil was better for you than actual food remains a mystery.

Anyway, I like mayo now

Oh, and carob is a lie

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            This is 100% my story as well. I hated mayo until I made this.

• Elton's BBQ
            Elton's BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            How about ketchup? Still on the hatelist?

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            My story precisely! My parents bought Miracle Whip throughout my childhood and I thought that was mayo and I therefore hated mayo. Then when I got that new-fangled "McChicken" sandwich from McDonald's when they fist come out [turns out it was when they were *reintroduced* in 1988] and I remember loving that creamy white glop on it, and one time I asked someone what it was and they were like "Ummm, you mean mayo?" "WHAT?!?!" I was blown away!

Mosca I assume it is egg yolk to be used in this recipie?

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I used one whole large egg.

Huskee What you need to know about making Japanese mayo:

Japanese Mayonnaise (Kewpie Mayo) is creamy and rich from egg yolks with a tangy and sweet taste that scores high on the umami factor!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

Just did this, thank you for sharing. Super simple, cross mayo off my list of buying. I used super good farm fresh eggs from my farmer that delivers them.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            I needed mayo last week for slaw and didn’t have any..why I didn’t think of just making my own! 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            barelfly so easy, I will likely make a small batch every week. I used some of the fresh mayo and made myself Bama white sauce for the fridge as well.

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. It is, which is why I slap myself for not doing this or even at least thinking about it and having better tasting mayo! Dang it!!! I totally whiffed on this! Haha.

I just made some! I tweaked the recipe a bit based on the other mayo recipe I use. I added a dash of Worcestershire and Louisiana hot sauce. And a tiny sprinkle of white pepper. This was using one egg. My immersion blender came with its own cup, so it worked perfectly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here