Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recipe: Easy Pickled Onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe: Easy Pickled Onions

These go great on pork tacos, pulled pork, pork belly burnt ends, etc. The pickled onions really help cut the rich, fatty flavors. I use them on pulled pork tacos all the time.

Very easy to make, about 10 minutes to prep and 30 minutes in the fridge and voila, you have pickled onions. If you like, you can add slivered carrots, bamboo shoots, etc.

Ingredients
    • 2 medium red onions, cut into 1/4” thick moon style slices
    • 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tsp white sugar
    • 1 tsp kosher salt
    • 5 allspice berries and 5 black peppercorns, roughly cracked with the bottom of a pan or a meat mallet
    • Dried red Chile (like a Chile Arbol)
    • 2 garlic cloves, sliced in half
    • 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
    • 3 cups boiling water

Steps
    1. Slice the onions into 1/4” thick slices that look like moons, put into a colander or sieve in the sink
    2. Add the vinegar, salt, sugar, allspice, peppercorns, garlic, thyme to a quart mason jar, allow sugar, salt to dissolve
    3. Pour boiling water slowly over onions to par-blanch them
    4. Stuff onions into jar until you cannot fit anymore. Should take 90-95% of the two onions.
    5. Add water to ensure the jar is completely full
    6. PUt the lid on, stick in the fridge.
    7. Onions are ready in about 30 minutes, but will be much better after 24 hours.
    8. Can keep in fridge for weeks without an issue (if you can manage to not munch on them that long)

Click image for larger version  Name:	485D78FD-EC91-40B2-A8B5-013CFAE1608D.jpeg Views:	39 Size:	4.03 MB ID:	1121077

Click image for larger version  Name:	2B6EA2E2-53F2-4880-94CB-DFBB043D7C60.jpeg Views:	38 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	1121078

Click image for larger version  Name:	45F21D16-45AB-43F1-BC7D-ECB0E0D2B1A3.jpeg Views:	39 Size:	3.87 MB ID:	1121076
    Last edited by ecowper; November 6, 2021, 08:59 PM.

I will give this a go. Whenever I read "Pickled" or "Pickles" I immediately think of the flavor of dill pickles which I hate. Nothing in this seems like it will taste like a dill pickle so I'm in.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Not dill at all. Vinegar, onion, whatever spices you like in the form of peppercorns, allspice, Chile, garlic, etc. And it goes great on pork carnitas

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited I hate dill as well and I use a similar recipe for pickled Shallots / Red Onions and they are awesome...

Even better after a day or so. And of course they keep much longer than they last.

Comment

Nice recipe. Into Paprika it went.

Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here