Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero Credit's Blueberry & Thai Pepper Hot Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Credit's Blueberry & Thai Pepper Hot Sauce

I was quite pleased with this outcome, as the sauce comes across as well balanced. There's definitely a spicy kick but it is not overwhelming, and the mix of flavors is great. If you want less spicy, you could remove the seeds. However, given the amount of peppers here, this would be very time consuming, so I say, go big or go home. If you are not fond of vinegar-based hot sauces like Tabasco, but still want a nice hot sauce, this recipe is for you.

Size: About 2 cups or so

Time to prepare: 30-45 minutes

Clean-Up: Minimal, as the blender is the only major item requiring any major cleaning.

Serve with: Anything really that you'd use a hot sauce with, such as eggs, hash browns, chicken, burgers, pizza, and mix in drinks if you want.

Ingredients
    • 1 ounce Thai peppers (about 130-150 peppers) (ours were freshly grown in our yard)
    • 1 tablespoon high-heat oil
    • 1/2 cup minced onions
    • 6 cloves garlic, minced (for those that routinely cook with garlic, feel free to increase to your personal preference)
    • 12 ounces blueberries
    • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    Method:

1. Roast peppers at 400 for about 15-20 minutes in oven or smoker on cookie sheet with tin foil. Check every few minutes to remove peppers as they blacken until all ready. Wait a minute or two until cool.

2. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic and cook about 5 minutes until the onions are soft. Stir in blueberries, vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a simmer, and cook about 10 minutes until blueberries burst and sauce thickens slightly.

3. Let cool a few minutes then blend in a proper blender (not food processor) until smooth which is about 30 seconds to a minute. Transfer to clean storage container (I use OXO squeeze bottles) and refrigerate.

Optional:

4. You may wish to add a tablespoon or two of water to dilute if the sauce seems overly thick after blending, but otherwise, a wide-mouth serving bottle (see large OXO squeeze bottles) won't have issues. You could also add a pinch of salt as needed to suit your taste buds.

Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; September 6, 2021, 09:34 AM.

Troutman

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      How’d I miss this? Thanks, going into Paprika now👍

Interesting, and might give it a try. Any idea how long it is safe in the fridge?

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe 2 weeks but we will see. Hoping for longer obviously.
      Last edited by STEbbq; September 7, 2021, 07:49 PM.

150 Thai peppers! We used to pay coworkers a dollar to eat one just to look at the pain on their faces. I guess the roasting and brown sugar mellows them out. I’ve got to try this sauce.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, cooking definitely mellows them out. Raw is "whoa" but in this sauce it is just well mixed and good.

This is definitely on my list. Also, that is a lot of peppers! Thai Bird's Eye are on the list for the garden for this spring.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I would definitely use weight to check as who knows if my peppers were super small, but that is what we ended up getting from the yard.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here