Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parmesan Reggiano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parmesan Reggiano

Messr: Meathead: Just read your article on the subject matter. I have a couple of questions when you have the time. I have been looking on Amazon for some quality PR in larger quantities. Just wanted to get your thoughts on ordering it this way? Are there downsides? Upsides? I realize it is a bit more expensive but willing to pay for the quality. Do you have any specific recommendations? There seems to be a wide variety on Amazon.

Anyhow, any information/advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

V/r

Brett T. Bowlin
    LCDR, USN, Esq. (Ret)
    "Bretty Crocker"

Look for Frank and Sal Parmigiano Reggiano on Amazon. We have been ordering it through Amazon and direct for years and it is legit. They ship directly. For larger amounts you might want to ask them directly https://frankandsal.com/collections/italian-cheese

Comment

It's funny - the only thing I use Parmesan Reggiano for is Caesar salad dressing. For that I buy a pre-packaged wedge of whatever PR is cheapest in my supermarket's "gourmet" cheese department. For everything else we use pecorino romano, which we buy store grated.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        kjbarth - I could be wrong, but I think Locatelli is a brand name of pecorino romano.

• kjbarth
        kjbarth commented
        Editing a comment
        It is. And a really good brand, in my opinion.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        kjbarth - I agree.

Another source for larger quantities of good quality imported cheeses is https://www.webstaurantstore.com/570...rigin:imported. We have purchased cheeses from them before and have been satisfied.

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep me away from webstaurantstore. Dangerous place to visit with such contagious MCS floating around this forum.

Maybe I’m lucky to live in an area with a bunch of nearby Italian markets. I wouldn’t buy mail order unless I know I can get better quality for cheaper. I can walk in, try a bunch of cheeses or other items, and pick exactly what I want in what ever quantity I want. You have to taste to know what you like. Some cheese might only be good for grating over pasta or other dishes and other cheese would be great chunked on a charcuterie board with some wine but would be wasted if grated. Just my opinion. My wife is Italian so I’ve been Italianized.

Comment

• Brett Bowlin
        Brett Bowlin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I am not that fortunate lol. My wife is as well so I have always relied on grandma's opinions sadly she passed.

Costco is selling a 72-pound wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano for $899. That's a heck of a deal.

Comment

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        Laugh, but once I had an opportunity to buy a cask of Springbank scotch for I think 2000, and I still am pissed I didn't do it. Years and years ago.

I just get Publix brand imported Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano and grate them directly into pasta sauce to flavor and thicken it. I also grate onto pizza. Very handy just to have a small block or two in the fridge and replace as needed.

Comment

Have done this one a couple times and it’s legit, arrives in perfect condition. 5# purchase, works out to ~16/lb. I did the "contact seller" thing before it shipped and asked them to break it into 3 pieces, which they did.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here