Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parmesan Reggiano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parmesan Reggiano

Messr: Meathead: Just read your article on the subject matter. I have a couple of questions when you have the time. I have been looking on Amazon for some quality PR in larger quantities. Just wanted to get your thoughts on ordering it this way? Are there downsides? Upsides? I realize it is a bit more expensive but willing to pay for the quality. Do you have any specific recommendations? There seems to be a wide variety on Amazon.

Anyhow, any information/advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

V/r

Brett T. Bowlin
    LCDR, USN, Esq. (Ret)
    "Bretty Crocker"

Look for Frank and Sal Parmigiano Reggiano on Amazon. We have been ordering it through Amazon and direct for years and it is legit. They ship directly. For larger amounts you might want to ask them directly https://frankandsal.com/collections/italian-cheese

Comment

It's funny - the only thing I use Parmesan Reggiano for is Caesar salad dressing. For that I buy a pre-packaged wedge of whatever PR is cheapest in my supermarket's "gourmet" cheese department. For everything else we use pecorino romano, which we buy store grated.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        kjbarth - I could be wrong, but I think Locatelli is a brand name of pecorino romano.

• kjbarth
        kjbarth commented
        Editing a comment
        It is. And a really good brand, in my opinion.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        kjbarth - I agree.

Another source for larger quantities of good quality imported cheeses is https://www.webstaurantstore.com/570...rigin:imported. We have purchased cheeses from them before and have been satisfied.

Comment

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep me away from webstaurantstore. Dangerous place to visit with such contagious MCS floating around this forum.

Maybe I’m lucky to live in an area with a bunch of nearby Italian markets. I wouldn’t buy mail order unless I know I can get better quality for cheaper. I can walk in, try a bunch of cheeses or other items, and pick exactly what I want in what ever quantity I want. You have to taste to know what you like. Some cheese might only be good for grating over pasta or other dishes and other cheese would be great chunked on a charcuterie board with some wine but would be wasted if grated. Just my opinion. My wife is Italian so I’ve been Italianized.

Comment

• Brett Bowlin
        Brett Bowlin commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I am not that fortunate lol. My wife is as well so I have always relied on grandma's opinions sadly she passed.

Costco is selling a 72-pound wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano for $899. That's a heck of a deal.

Comment

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        Laugh, but once I had an opportunity to buy a cask of Springbank scotch for I think 2000, and I still am pissed I didn't do it. Years and years ago.

I just get Publix brand imported Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano and grate them directly into pasta sauce to flavor and thicken it. I also grate onto pizza. Very handy just to have a small block or two in the fridge and replace as needed.

Comment

Have done this one a couple times and it’s legit, arrives in perfect condition. 5# purchase, works out to ~16/lb. I did the "contact seller" thing before it shipped and asked them to break it into 3 pieces, which they did.
        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0199ASQRA...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Groundbreaking Hybrid Thermometer!

Thermapen One Instant Read Thermometer

The FireBoard Spark is a hybrid combining instant-read capability, a cabled temperature probe, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. We gave Spark a Platinum Medal for pushing the envelope of product capability while maintaining high standards of design and workmanship.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it’s easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
        Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp’s dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin’.

Click here to read our detailed review

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
        Click here for our review on this unique smoker