Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling Cheese?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilling Cheese?!?

We picked this up at the store today. What should I do with it? Recommendations on recipes and temperatures?
    Attached Files

Love some "seared" halloumi!
    I've never cooked mine over an open flame. I always do it in a skillet to get a better spread of "seared" crust. I use a medium heat.

Comment

Opa!

Comment

Are you looking for a recipe for grilled halloumi or a recipe where it is used as an ingredient in something else? I recall a recipe I'd really like to try that a new (at the time) member posted about a while back, but I had since forgotten about it. Cyprus BBQ club mentioned a fig and halloumi stuffed pork loin. It's somewhere in the following thread. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...889#post839889

I'd be willing to bet he has a few other recipes/ideas for halloumi, though I don't know if he is still active in the pit. Looks like he is/was a trial member.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Anything tasty is welcome!

All I can say is make sure it's cold when you smoke it. Someone here posted that room temp Halloumi melts on the grill before it browns.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          depends on the brand, stuff I got in the UK never melted and would sometimes be sitting out for quite a while before cooking. I've had more hit and miss experience with brands available in the US.
          Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; July 30, 2020, 07:48 AM.

Just type the word "halloumi" into the Pit search box and you'll get multiple hits on recent conversations about it.

Comment

A trick to grill cheese like this (learned from doing provolone like Argentine style provoleta), is to leave the cheese out uncovered so it forms a 'skin'. That should help it keep its shape a little better. Serve with some chimichrurri.

Comment

I made grilled halloumi and watermelon skewers. For the first time ever I softened the halloumi in nearly boiling water for 20 minutes before skewering. They turned out great. It's an unusual, flavorful recipe:

I am obsessed with this tamarind dip and eat it with almost anything. It works really well with these skewers – a mixture of crisp bread, juicy watermelon and salty halloumi.

Here are a bunch of recipes using halloumi:

Halloumi is brilliant - it's great for quick dinners and veggie barbecues. BBC Food has halloumi recipes for every occasion. Try it in veggie burgers, risottos, pastas or even as a veggie alternative to bacon.

I usually grill it in a grill pan on the cooktop or on my Grill Grates in the gasser.

Kathryn

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              This is great info! Thank you!

Halloumi is awesome grilled. Just sear it over high heat. A cast iron pan helps a lot. I’ve cooked it hundreds of times, always so tasty! Sear it on both sides for 2 minutes. The color guides you.

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              I have four chunks of the cheese, so I will be experimenting!

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed. Halloumi and a cast iron pan are the perfect match.

K.

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I should add that I always slice it, 2/8” thick slices. Sometimes a bit thicker. Then sear in a CI pan.

OMG. This stuff is amazing. Seared in CI skillet for a few minutes. SO good.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't see it...........

Done
            Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              That's better! Thanks!

Interesting. I will keep my eye out for the stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here